• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

bore lapping

anyone ever tried lapping bore with cleaning pellets and compound? does the idea seem crazy?what are your thoughts on the subject...the barrels im thinking about doing it with are ,fx smooth twist,and mrod lothar walther..would appreciate feedback from folks much more experienced at air guns than me...not a high bar to clear

if you want to be gentle get some paste and do it that way instead. they are specialized productsfor that. or: sounds crazy but tooth paste has Al2O3 in it in very very fine powder form thats what cleanes the tooth not the flavour they mix it with... it is obviously readily available

corundum is the third on the Mohs scale of hardness. 1. diamond, the somehing else 3. Al2O3.

or you can try red rouge jewellers rouge in powder form and mix it with water to form

a paste, but that will paint everythting like a pigment.

to get the idea:

steel is hardness 5

titanium 6

al2o3 is 9. diamond 10

i use corund powder at work for cleaning stuff, did try jewellers rouge but its messy business. toothpaste may be too fine, but at least you dont do any major damage it just takes longer

I think if you want to bore lap you would need to get something which was tight in the bore. Cleaning pellet to me doesn't seem like the thing to use. Me if I wanted to do it I'd get a nylon brush and wrap a cleaning patch around it getting it so I had considerable resistance going down the bore. Then I'd apply the paste (remclean is what I've used) and run about six or seven patches thru the bore. I've cleaned enough barrels that I can feel how a patch or bush passes thru. Unless I felt the barrel was "rough" or fouled badly (unlikely with an air gun) I'd probably not bother with the bore lapping. However having said that If I had one that just wouldn't shoot what do you have to loose.

Don't confuse lapping with polishing. With lapping you're reshaping the actual sizes of the bore, polishing is just cutting of the edges from machining or wear. For polishing a tight fitting patch will work decently, maybe a tight fitting cleaning patch will also do the job.

For lapping you will need a long slug of lead inside the barrel that fits exactly to the inside diameters (casting molten lead is one of the only options in this) and cover it with abrasive material, work the barrel with this and redo the proces a couple of times until it feels the way it should feel.

I also polished almost all my barrels just to get rit of any burrs or smoothen the inside of the bore like on a polygonal barrel or STX barrel. If you take care during the proces you won't ruin anything in the barrel! if you start slamming the cleaning rod into the crown of the TP there is a chance of damaging it...