• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bird identification needed

As I sit at my dining room table sorting pellets with my new .22 cal Pelletgage waiting on squirrels to come in, this little house sparrow size bird and a few of his buddies decide to eat my feed. I haven't seen a house sparrow around in a week or so, but these guys are all around. I tried to look him up, but I can't seem to find a bird that has the same coloring and patterns. I just googled Michigan birds and went to the first site that popped up. Does anybody know what this little guy is?

There's really no need to learn what ALL the birds look like. Just learn what the birds you CAN shoot look like. :) In almost all cases is is only European Starlings, House Sparrows, and maybe Collared doves if you have them in your area. Pigeons are usually fair game too but I have heard of jurisdictions that you can't shoot them.
All native birds are protected by the Migratory Bird Act. It's a Federal Act and protects all native birds in the US.
By shooting these non-native pests you are not only having a good time shooting but helping out the native birds as these Invasive species frequently out compete our natives for food and in particular nesting habitat.

Of course the Apps suggested and in particular any of the good field guides are good sources if you want to learn to ID birds. Birding is a lot of fun and I do it myself mostly in the winter. But when you can enjoy the Natives through your scope and pick off the Non-native Invasives it's a win win situation!! :D :D

I definitely don't shoot anything Illegal. I just have never seen this kind of bird before and the only thing I had handy to take the pic was my scope cam. I've only seen two of these little guys and it got me curious on what they were. As I said before, I typed in Michigan birds and they didn't show up for that search on all about birds. The only birds I shoot are starlings, house sparrows, pigeons, and the occasional middle finger :)