• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Big Bores in the Backyard...insanity???

I read it...I re-read it...I questioned it...how many times over the years has my pcp discharged accidentally, or struck an object I didn't intend to hit...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1438543844/BREAKING+STONES---

I had to respond

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1438619482/Where+do+we+draw+the+line---

A 415 gr lead slug, with a muzzle energy of 814 fpe, traveling at 940 fps...a slug twice the weight of a .45 acp, and traveling at the same speed as generated by a 1911 handgun. A projectile able to penetrate both walls of a steel tank at 100 yards, and this guy thinks it's OK for backyard shooting, just because it's quiet???

That same projectile going 200 fps dropping on it's ending trajectory still has 36 fpe, same as a .22 pcp at the muzzle. 150 fps...20+ fpe at a Springer muzzle.

"Hepotter"It's not the "aimed shot", or "miles of vacant backstop", that concerns me. It's the accidental discharge, the un-aimed shot, and the proximity of people, that's the real threat. An accidental discharge goes wherever the muzzle is pointed at that instant.

Those concerns exist for all weapons that hurl a projectile.There have been idiots with guns since guns were invented. You can't fix stupid. A gun of this magnitude does up the ante a bit though for PCPs to be sure. Instead of sticking a pellet in your fence, you're shooting through the fence, the neighbors back door, bedroom walls and into their car. Eventually, this will happen. We all know that PCPs are no longer toy airguns. They're the real deal, just without smoke or flames. There have been people killed with .177 cal pellets though. There are also orders of magnitude more firearms in the world than there are airguns. I have a hunting rifle in my cabinet that has a muzzle velocity that is more than 3 times this gun. It's all about what you intend to do with the gun and how responsible you are with it. I don't think that this video offers enough information to the justify concern over the shooter's responsibility level or skill level.

When you have a PCP that uses almost 4000 psi of air on a fill, more than likely it will be sitting tethered on a benchrest with the sights already dialed in to the intended target before you even put the 415 grain projectile into the single shot receiver. The back stop CK uses is at least 1/2 inch thick plate steel custom made bullet trap that's so heavy he keeps it on a trailer and I believe it is close to 4 ft tall and 3 ft wide.
I doubt very seriously you will see a misfire with this expert marksman? Maybe he should add to his post "Don't try this at home" ;-)
Don't worry, the sky is not falling ;-)

In the hands of CK, I have total confidence in his abilities to govern his range. Like hunterroark mention in his post, CK's range is well thought out and can easy handle the ammunition used. CK is of the highest caliber in his shooting abilities and awareness of safety. I sincerely doubt you have a thing to worry about. He is probably less likely to have an accidental discharge then you...(phrasing...boom)
And Yes the tanks he shoots are empty.
Keep on shooting those Beaumonts CK....lord know I can't afford one of those impressive rifles.
MIke

I Want to thank Hunter and Jimmy And Mike and others that came to my defense - you guys truly are friends indeed- 
I'm Flatterd to hear such praise. Thank You one and all.
evertime I shoot - even at my rifle club,I'm constantly aware that the Bullet can never be returned once it's left the barrel,everything from ricochet to malfunctioning sears - all can kill- you've heard the term " I thought the gun was unloaded" how many have perished on that one?
Hell not that Many years ago - I was at my local gun club, we had declared the range Cold - so all could change their targets etc--
well im at the two hundred yard Burm when I hear a bullet wiz past me, then the sonic boom? 
I said Hey you dumb arse - to the guy who simply sat down and touched his trigger??
well the board suspended him but I realized it was just a stupid accident but the damn 7mm mag would have killed me for sure!
Accidents and lapses in judgment are all part of the condition known as being human-- hell guys I've had three of them Lapses 
MARRIAGE😝😝
on the refrigerant - any small amount that enters the Atmosphere is called Dimimus Venting-😁- completely legal --
and Piss on ole Al anyway! No proof that halogenated chlorofluorocarbons have any adverse affect on this atmosphere--
thanks Again Guys
CK

Thanks for the follow up Coldking. The video made it looked like the canister of freon was still under pressure. Maybe that was just the tank fleeing in sheer terror from that gun ;-). For the record though, the effects of CFCs on ozone are pretty well documented and understood. Just a little bit of CFC will screw up a WHOLE bunch of ozone. Actually it's just the chlorine and the bromine that does that dirty work. It is estimated that one chlorine atom can destroy over 100,000 ozone molecules before it is removed from the stratosphere.

Ah, the mighty Beaumont. Together with Sinner airguns the most powerful brands designed and built in The Netherlands.
They spark a lot of debate here too (well, I live in Belgium, a neighbouring country), when it comes to safety, especially in the context of backyard shooting.
Simply awesome air rifles, yet reaaally expensive (too expensive for me) and they obviously use massive amounts of air.

I've seen a guy blasting a slug through a metal pipe, used for scaffolding, at some 100 yards, using a Beaumont Thor, 8mm caliber I think. Pretty massive hole, especially the one in the back obviously.

Yes Bert- truly works of art----THE STATE OF THE ART 
I own Three. All powerhouse's - and Laser accurate 
I had My .45 built to my Specifications to deliver the energies requested --These are all Custom made rifles - waited 4 months on Average --
On another Forum-- -A Poster Questions the FPE---- quote-- "The Manufacturer lists the energies as"---------
maybe an attempt to compare his Gargoyle to a Beaumont?? 
And that would be like trying to compare a Yugo to a Ferrari-

I take the Shooting of Any weapon very serious --And Take All nessasary Precautions --
regards 
CK 

"Hepotter"I read it...I re-read it...I questioned it...how many times over the years has my pcp discharged accidentally, or struck an object I didn't intend to hit...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1438543844/BREAKING+STONES---

I had to respond

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1438619482/Where+do+we+draw+the+line---

A 415 gr lead slug, with a muzzle energy of 814 fpe, traveling at 940 fps...a slug twice the weight of a .45 acp, and traveling at the same speed as generated by a 1911 handgun. A projectile able to penetrate both walls of a steel tank at 100 yards, and this guy thinks it's OK for backyard shooting, just because it's quiet???

That same projectile going 200 fps dropping on it's ending trajectory still has 36 fpe, same as a .22 pcp at the muzzle. 150 fps...20+ fpe at a Springer muzzle.

I've been shooting firearms since I was 5 years old (under supervision) and have never accidentally discharged one. Cold King knows exactly what he is doing and is well versed in the safe use of firearms and PCP's. By the way, I'm jealous of that Beaumont! One fine air gun. 

As far as fluorocarbons and accidentally discharged weapons go...I've got greater things to worry about than things I can't control.

The fluorocarbons thing is just plain funny😝
Im an Airconditoning / refrigeration Contractor - STATE CERTIFIED AND IN MY 33 year-
Soooooo I do believe I know the Rules and regs on Venting Refrigerants --
but discussions on climate effects is for another forum--
thank you for Chiming in Lawrence.
like you I've been Shooting since early Childhood - firearms and air rifles BB guns etc--
i Find it to be a bit of a Red Hearing - all the B.S that took place on the other forum, mostly Petty envy - jealousies and clichés -
But that's What makes the other Forum so Special😜
people need to worry about what they do in their own backyards 
I'm going to dedicate my next Video to HARRY POTTER ---
REGARDS 
Ck

Hahaha! I hear that! 
I remember having a bullet trap set at the end of my hallway - just behind the trap was a linen closet ( when shooting I'd keep the door open) - well I didn't realize that some of the rounds had passed the trap and went into the closet- my Ex wife was so upset to find her set of silk sheets riddled with holes😁
sorry bout that Honey!!
As youngsters we'd shoot just about any critter that walked or crawled 
hell even Playing army with air rifles- we'd wear motorcycle helmets for protection, but then somebody would show up with a multi pump pellet gun!! 
I could go on and on! 
CK