• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best rifle around $300-400 for hunting squirrels and rabbits?

Well, I have a kral NP03 that will do it. And i will sell it with scope, mod and throw in some pellets. $325 shipped. I have zero trouble hitting any of my 1in spinners at 50yds. It shoots crossmans great and also 20g nsa which i will send a few of those also.

20230607_141958.jpg

I am a springer guy but if I got a PCP I would buy a Benjamin Maurader which is a very popular and customizer gun but is out of your price range. A lot of Dianas fall into or close to your price range. Diana 350 Magnum Premium, Diana 34 EMS Classic, Diana 460, Diane Mauser k98, BSA Meteor Super, Hatsan 135. I have only the 350 but harder to shoot than most springers. However after practicing for a while, I belive I could make a vital shot on a squirrel out to 60 yards with plenty of power. 350 is big, long and heavy. If I got the Hatsan 135, I would try to find the springer version. Read bad press on Hatsan gas rams. I would probably buy from AOA, Be sure to save at least $200 for a decent scope, mounts and rings (UTG is good)., more if you want great optics. I would try to watch this forum or Airgun Classifieds for a decent used air gun. AOA sells used and refurbished airguns. Just be careful the seller is reptuable and knows alot about airgun. I am always hestitant to buy a used springer as concerned the uninformed my have dry fired it. Also be aware that people dump guns that they cannot get to shoot accurate which sometimes could be manufacturer defect and not the shooter. Ask for a sample 5 shot group say at 30 yards but best you buy from a well know airgun guy especially those that are "thinning the herd". Seems more PCPs for sale on this forum then springers.

Last edited:
Reactions: bf1956 and Rohmpm
If you're meaning $300-400 total then a springer may be more in the budget because like JDR is saying you need a good scope which will cut into the budget. Just make sure it is rated for the double recoil of a springer! UTG works.

I've used my Crosman Fire since 2015 or 16 and Crosman Diamondback for a couple years with success. Benjamin/Crosman gas ram tech is good stuff especially the Elite. I always forget how quiet my Diamondback is. Although that thing is heavy..it is pretty powerful. 18 FPE. And has "iron" sights so a scope isn't necessary.

They make break barrels that have rotary magazines built in now but with my friends dad's experience with the Gamo jamming frequently and some ratings I've seen on Crosmans I would just go the single shot route and get a pellet pen . Manufacturers make the gun cost a certain amount and the way I see it them putting $ into the magazine mechanism takes away from $ going into the gun fit and finish etc.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much ($3-400) for a break barrel cause my $100 do about the same I mean Mr Squirrel doesn't care if your gun has a turkish walnut stock etc LOL But you do get more accuracy to a point.

But if your budget is $3-400 for just the gun then check out some PCPs. For a carbine, everyone seems to love the Notos which would easily be in that range. You'd need a fill source but I think you'd do best with a hand pump for $60 from Amazon. For a rifle I'd recommend the Avenger for sure, I love mine. You'd do well to add a LDC though. Pumping is possible just more pumps to fill.

The other recommendations are good too I just don't believe in un regulated PCPs. I get you can have some more power and could achieve good consistency in FPS in a certain range of shots but it's 2023 and I think the tech is there with the ultimate air gun being a regulated pcp.

Beerthief is right though a springer is just grab and go, it won't ever run out of air! So basically this depends on your total budget for what to get cause you'd need a scope for either but add a pump for PCP.

Whatever you decide let us know what you end up with!!!

Reactions: Scotay42
Yep, and pcps will always be the much much larger market due to that. You have to "Want" to shoot a springer.
Right, you want to hold a springer steady for the shot but you can't hold it tight. Definitely takes time to learn that. I've had to really work on my breathing too cause I'm focusing on the loose artillery grip but still aiming true then end up holding my breath which is wrong.

That's why my Avenger gets so much more lead down range lol

I've owned air rifles since the early 70s, pump up Crosmans and Daisy's, as well as several spring or gas ram break barrels. I recently purchased a Gamo Swarm Magnum .22 and while it's a great gun, it's nowhere near as much fun to shoot as an old pump up gun, let alone a PCP. If you can afford it, buy a PCP and a hand pump to begin with. The JTS guns mentioned are good. The Air Venturi Avengers are as well. Just don't spend a heap on a spring type break barrel then wish you would have spent that money on a PCP. My Gamo has had maybe 200 pellets fired through it and I'm buying a PCP instead. Basically wasted $300+ on the Gamo.

I've owned air rifles since the early 70s, pump up Crosmans and Daisy's, as well as several spring or gas ram break barrels. I recently purchased a Gamo Swarm Magnum .22 and while it's a great gun, it's nowhere near as much fun to shoot as an old pump up gun, let alone a PCP. If you can afford it, buy a PCP and a hand pump to begin with. The JTS guns mentioned are good. The Air Venturi Avengers are as well. Just don't spend a heap on a spring type break barrel then wish you would have spent that money on a PCP. My Gamo has had maybe 200 pellets fired through it and I'm buying a PCP instead. Basically wasted $300+ on the Gamo.
I got back into air after years of only powder burners. I shot a buddies gamo magnum
22 a d thought it was great,and got a .177 for myself. I hated it. Went pcp and never looked back. Worse again, once i got a side lever pcp, never a bolt pcp again. Lol

I got back into air after years of only powder burners. I shot a buddies gamo magnum
22 a d thought it was great,and got a .177 for myself. I hated it. Went pcp and never looked back. Worse again, once i got a side lever pcp, never a bolt pcp again. Lol
This is some good advice right here. Don't loose out to opportunity cost when you shop for a gun. You definitely need to consider what you need but also what you want. Side lever is awesome and I think all pcp should have it but if all OP can get is bolt pcp then he's better off being happier with that pcp than buying a springer then regretting it later. Especially for $3-400.

I got my Diamondback for Christmas '21 and then next Christmas '22 got the Aveneger. It's not that the Diamondback was bad it's just Avenger pcp is way better! I'll keep the DB cause I like having an extra gun to loan out though lol

As others have said, the AV Avenger is a very accurate gun at a very good price. But in some ways it does feel like a cheap plastic toy.... at least the plastic stock version does. Dar gen 3 is cheaper and nicer, it's all metal and wood and it's going to be more hand pump friendly. But, if it were me, I'd skip the hand pump. That gets old pretty quickly.

Hw50 or hw95
This. Springers are perfect for rabbits and squirrels and pests. Weihrauch's come with very accurate iron sights, a scope and rings can be saved for. A tin of pellets and a rifle, thats it. PCP's need a way to fill them. Hand pumping is not fun, a tank or compressor is big money.

The HW95 .22 and some H&N Field Target Trophy .22 pellets is all you need. Very accurate out to 50 yards and enough power for ethical kills at that distance.