• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best hunting pellet for my marauder

Hi

I've recently been trying to find a accurate hunting pellet for my marauder. I've found that 21.14 grain barracuda match pellets fire very accurately out of my rifle (.5" at 40 yards). However these pellets do not kill humanely as they leave some of the mourning doves injured and able to fly away. As a hunter this upsets me. The problem with the hollow points I've tried (barracuda hunter extremes, Beeman crow magnum, Crosman HP ) is that they will not group out of my rifle. I was wondering if anyone had had a similar situation and has found the right hunting pellet for their marauder.

Thanks

Isaac

What caliber are you shooting?

You have to sling a pellet pretty fast and hit something pretty solid to get it to expand though (eg meat and bone). Birds are mostly air, covered in feathers. Maybe others can correct me, but I haven't seen any issue with JSB pellets on Collared Doves. JSB uses a soft alloy that expands pretty well on small game in my experience. I've shot them with hollow points too and they don't have enough solid mass to cause the pellet to expand. Usually, the pellet just sails through doves to be honest. If you hit them with a .25cal they pretty much drop in place with maybe a single flap or two. I'd be more concerned about velocity and/or accuracy than worrying about hollow point or domed pellets. Where are you aiming? I usually aim for the neck. My logic is if I miss high it's a headshot, if I miss low it's a hear/lung shot. Either way, I win.

My Disco seems to really prefer the H&N Baracuda Hunter 18.21 grain pellets.

Grackles go down when hit at 50 yds with them.
I guessing your Marauder will prefer one of the heavier pellets.

I have a pile of pellets from testing that neither my Hatsan AT44 or Disco like.

The Marauder is accurate enough that you may want to start shooting for the base of the neck or head.
Base of the neck, not the neck. The base is where it enters the body so it is almost/is a spine shot. Yes, one sometimes have to be patient until the target moves int to the correct orientation.
If you live in the US, you may want to look into hunting regulations for your state.