• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best FX Crown MK I slug shooting Caliber

For anyone with experience shooting slugs through an FX Crown MK I, I am interested to know if there is any advantage in shooting slugs with a .22 cal over a .25 cal.
I have a .25 cal now, and am considering buying a .22 cal barrel for the cost saving of buying pellets and slugs, along with air saving. But slug accuracy would be an ultimate goal. I was thinking I could get an increase in velocity with the .22, which may give me a better accuracy.

I installed that exact liner in my .25 600 mm Crown last year. Did lots of tuning and shooting various slugs and pellets. What surprised me was that my pellets continued to shoot about as well as with my Superior liner. Some of the slugs I shot were worse with the Superior heavy liner. In particular the NSA 33.5 g which shot fairly well with the Superior, opened up a lot with the Superior heavy.
I purchased some H & N Slug HP .250, 32 g and was getting some very good groups at 120 bar. Had some 100 yd groups around 1".
I've had my Crown for 5 years now, and put a lot of pellets and slugs through it. I do intend to purchase the .22 cal 700 mm barrel soon. Was hoping someone would ring in on their experience shooting slugs with that barrel.

I have a .25x700 Superior Heavy liner and I could not make the slugs outperform the pellets at 100 meters. Works well with pellets but not slugs.
I don't think the problem is with 1:18 twist rate but I suspect a choke is way too tight on SH.
I also have a .25x700 STX-A (pellet) liner 1:27 and the .25x600 Superior 1:24 which is currently mounted on my Leshiy2 (for 25gn MRD's) and have not tried it yet on the Impact MK2...

There continues to be a myth that Superior Standard barrels are only for pellets and you need a Superior Heavy barrel to shoot slugs. From my personal experience, the Standard barrel generally shoots light to mid-weight slugs as good or better than the Heavy barrel in both .22 and .30. Also, the South African gun tubers (who developed the Patriot Javelin slugs) use the Standard Superior liner with 21gr, 23gr, and 26gr .22 slugs. Another great example of "just needing to try and see" was a recent video where Gerhard was Shooting new H&N .30cal 50gr slugs through Justin Welch's 1:40 pellet liner! That sort of thing no one expects to work.

I think one of the biggest advantages of .22 slugs right now is the selection, and the amount of testing that has been done in that caliber. You have many makes, many weights, and most manufacturers offer at least two diameters in each one (NSA offers 6 diameters). If you compare that to .25 and .30, the weight offerings by manufacturers are much fewer, and usually only a single diameter is offered. This makes it harder to find a good match for your gun. If you found a 1 MOA slug for your .25 barrel, consider yourself lucky!

I like 20-22gr .22 slugs in a 600mm barrel. I have my 600mm M3 tuned for NSA 20.2gr at 965fps (requires reg of 120bar), and it gets 100-112 shots off the 480cc bottle. The crown will be slightly less, but should still be pretty good. This slug tune offers a nice balance of pellet-like shot count with slug trajectory and wind benefits. Keep in mind you aren't really going to 'gain velocity' by going from .25 to .22. If comparing the same weight projectile, the .22 will have to work a lot harder (higher reg pressure, stronger hammer spring) to achieve the same velocity. This is due to the smaller surface area that the air has to push on. I think on a crown you are going to be limited to around 26gr .22 slugs before the gun gets maxed out.

I cannot find .22 liners in Canada, not new not second hand.
Any good source to try from USA?

Not sure if they ship to Canada, but here are two:

Reactions: bigHUN