• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best distance to place shooting Chrony?

What’s the best distance between muzzle and Chrony for best results? I will using a Caldwell Beta placed on a Hammers tripod, testing a 25 KalibrGun Cricket. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B7OYNJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I'm not mistaken, the instructions specify placing the meter 5 ft from the barrel of the gun, which I did initially. After much hassle aligning the barrel and the chrony, I moved the chrony within a foot of the barrel of my air rifles.

I now believe that the 5 ft specification applies to firearms, for the obvious reason.

What’s the best distance between muzzle and Chrony for best results? I will using a Caldwell Beta placed on a Hammers tripod, testing a 25 KalibrGun Cricket. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B7OYNJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I'm not mistaken, the instructions specify placing the meter 5 ft from the barrel of the gun, which I did initially. After much hassle aligning the barrel and the chrony, I moved the chrony within a foot of the barrel of my air rifles.

I now believe that the 5 ft specification applies to firearms, for the obvious reason.

I have another Chrony I use for my main purpose. I only got this particular Chrony to compare the velocity to the other and to test for BC at distances. I was thinking maybe a foot or 2

For muzzle velocity, place the sensor as close to the end of the shroud without danger of shooting the chrony.

Wouldn’t the air from the muzzle blast produce inaccurate readings?

Since light will pass unobstructed thru air I don't see any issue.
Even if it didn't the pellet is still passing thru before the air. The chrony is basically a timer. Time starts when pellet interrupts light beam to first sensor and then stops when the pellet interrupts the light beam to the 2nd sensor. Based on the time that elapses, and the known distance between the sensors the chrony calculates the speed.

I set mine approx 1' from the muzzle and have had ZERO issues.

For muzzle velocity, place the sensor as close to the end of the shroud without danger of shooting the chrony.

Even if it didn't the pellet is still passing thru before the air. The chrony is basically a timer. Time starts when pellet interrupts light beam to first sensor and then stops when the pellet interrupts the light beam to the 2nd sensor. Based on the time that elapses, and the known distance between the sensors the chrony calculates the speed.

Thanks a lot for the information. May I ask your aiming point? Low, medium or high?

For an end user just place it constantly for reference. Plumb level & square to the bore eh? Maybe it's a Southern thang bit I have seen air blast readings ( over taking the pellets speed) and you could see the humid fog of the air blast when it was happening, breathing grade dry air seemed to be a dew point issue and mostly nig bores but my .25 Career 707 has done it.

I like it out a bit, 5-6' maybe as it seems easier for me personally to shoot groups while doing chrony and staying in my sweet spot of the light sensors.

That's one of those fancy ones that chit chats with your phone correct?

John

For an end user just place it constantly for reference. Plumb level & square to the bore eh? Maybe it's a Southern thang bit I have seen air blast readings ( over taking the pellets speed) and you could see the humid fog of the air blast when it was happening, breathing grade dry air seemed to be a dew point issue and mostly nig bores but my .25 Career 707 has done it.

I like it out a bit, 5-6' maybe as it seems easier for me personally to shoot groups while doing chrony and staying in my sweet spot of the light sensors.

That's one of those fancy ones that chit chats with your phone correct?

John

When I first tried to use a Chrony it was that horrible F-1 model. I had it setup in the house Shooting close to the Chrony. I was get erratic numbers all over the place some in the upper thousands which I knew were wrong that’s when I suspected muzzle blast interference 

I have settled in on 1 yard to the far window of the sensor as the minimum distance to allow the exit dynamics of the pellet settle down and provide more consistent readings. 2 yards would probably be even better. I wouldn't go closer than 1 yard though or you'll be dealing with more questions about speed variation, etc. Whatever distance you choose, stick with it consistently (use a tape measure every time to make sure you're in the same location) so you can have accurate comparisons. If you're checking at different times in the year, record the atmospheric conditions too as they will have an effect on your velocity (and your BC).

I've settled on 1 yard and 50 yards for the rear window spacing for measuring BC's, and recommend those distances as well. I hope that helps. Enjoy!

Sean

Thanks a lot for the information. May I ask your aiming point? Low, medium or high?

I aim approx 4-5" above the sensors. (you should be able to see the holes in target). I also have one of those "horrible" F1's. With the lights on the sensors as shown I bet I don't get more then 1 "ERR" reading every 100 shots, and usually this is when I shoot to the side of rear sensor.

1538786632_13627962205bb8054834bc43.65707405_20181005_203912.jpg