• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best camo for desert

Hello AGN

I have been hunting a lot (quail) and have been messing around with different kinds of desert camo. This is the camo I've opted for, but I want to see what others have done for dry desert areas like California.

IMG_20201217_0924559962.1609022267.jpg

What is your favorite camo for desert?

What are you trying to hide from ? The majority of camo sold is what looks “ good” to us. As far as what animals see, it’s totally different. Large patterns with a contrasting back ground seem to work better then anything in just about all environments. It’s movement,scent, and reflection that alerts most to out presents. Brake up your outline, and stay very still, down wind ( for animals) and many animals and birds will walk right up to you, even in a Santa costume. I say paint it what ever pattern colors you like, I don’t think it will make a bit of difference. Unless your tying to get close to people, and I doubt that. 

Wow, F.D., that's quiet a different desert from the one I'm living in (see photo below).... 😄

I'm interested in hearing what others recommend.

And while their at it, maybe they could check the question about camo in the AGN link below: I need to change the color of my pop-up hide — How do I do THAT?!?

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/%e2%9d%93-painting-a-pop-up-hunting-hide-%e2%9e%94-how/

Thanks for your help! 👍🏼

And F.D. — welcome to AGN! 👍🏼 This is a great place to learn, and to share what you have learned. 😊

Matthias

Peru Desert Hills.1609018412.jpg

Wow, F.D., that's quiet a different desert from the one I'm living in (see photo below)....
1f604.svg

I'm interested in hearing what others recommend.

And while their at it, maybe they could check the question about camo in the AGN link below: I need to change the color of my pop-up hide — How do I do THAT?!?

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/%e2%9d%93-painting-a-pop-up-hunting-hide-%e2%9e%94-how/

Thanks for your help!
1f44d-1f3fc.svg

And F.D. — welcome to AGN!
1f44d-1f3fc.svg
This is a great place to learn, and to share what you have learned.
1f60a.svg

Matthias

Peru Desert Hills.1609018412.jpg

Well Californian deserts look unique - a little like the Afghanistan mountains too. My camo design is based on the surroundings I am in. If you want to check on Wikipedia, check Joshua Tree National Park or Death Valley CA...Pozo California and Paso Robles too. Very hot, golden, with non edible plants and scattered vegetation is the norm.

Screenshot_20201226-144520.1609022901.png

Death Valley?!? 😄

That's one of the coolest places on Earth! Pun intended and all. 

Waaaaay below sea level.

Dunes, far away from any ocean.

Salt lake.

Desert.

Awesome.

One of my favorite places. So, I didn't mind when I had to change a blown tire there years ago! 😄

Matthias

DEATH VALLEY say you ... well Ok then being Wife and i visit every couple years being @ 200 miles south of us.

P1000861.1609104372.JPG

Exiting TITUS canyon Drab brown & green

P1000910_50.1609104425.jpg

Up around FURNACE CREEK .. Now CAMO that ???

Scott S

Death Valley?!?
1f604.svg

That's one of the coolest places on Earth! Pun intended and all. 

Waaaaay below sea level.

Dunes, far away from any ocean.

Salt lake.

Desert.

Awesome.

One of my favorite places. So, I didn't mind when I had to change a blown tire there years ago!
1f604.svg

Matthias

DEATH VALLEY say you ... well Ok then being Wife and i visit every couple years being @ 200 miles south of us.

P1000861.1609104372.JPG

Exiting TITUS canyon Drab brown & green

P1000910_50.1609104425.jpg

Up around FURNACE CREEK .. Now CAMO that ???

Scott S

I went to DV a couple times, Titus canyon was a fun ride.

66D91806-0D5E-43CC-B058-34AE929C2F78.1609106151.jpeg

Renz

Screenshot_20201226-144520.1609131504.png
IMG_20201217_0924559962.1609131858.jpg

Maybe new golden. My rational on the camo is that it does help break up the lines for movement. I've read competing theories where people say it is all bunk - and those theories are sound as far as I can tell. I guess I will be the moderate and say IDK but will error on looking like my environment. After all, preditors here are not dressed like Santa. The flip side: they don't move like Santa either. Animal vision is a mystery to me, and a science I need to study more.

Thanks guys for the feedback