• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best Beginer Airgun

Hi, I am new to air gunning and was wondering what the best beginner airgun for small game hunting is. I am looking for something that is good, but not the best. I just want a gun that is good for beginners and will get the job done. A good price range is $150-$300. It needs to be able to kill small game from a moderate distance. Any imput is appreciated, thanks! (I am currently looking at a Hatsan Mod 95)

The Discovery is the "little brother" to the Marauder. It operates at 2,000 PSI which makes it easier to charge with an inexpensive hand pump:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Air_Rifle/1543/2840

An even less expensive route would be an air piston break barrel. The Crosman Venom series and Gamos are good entry level choices. Like springers they require a different shooting technique often called the "artillery hold" in which you allow the forend to rest in your palm rather than gripping it. But they can be quite accurate to 30-40 yards or so and are definitely powerful enough to take small game humanely.​

What is "Moderate Distance" and what game are we talking about?

For the price range given, I'd probably go with one of those bargain $300 HW95s (same as Beeman R9) from Airguns of Arizona. A PCP is going to be a big jump up in price: Marauder $500 or Discovery $300, then you'll need to spend another $300 on a used tank and fill adapter, or hand pump. Sounds like a lot, but it is totally worth it if you enjoy accurate shooting and longer distances.

Go to youtube and search for "Ted's Holdover". After digesting some of those videos, you'll have a pretty good feel for how interested in PCP airguns you are and that should help you make your decision. :)

Airguns of Arizona (AOA) has a pre-owned section which is a GREAT way to get into serious airgunning. I just recently jumped in the deep end and am glad I did. I started here with plenty of questions and ended up with a newer Bullpup design PCP and am glad I decided to bite the bullet. 

these PCP rifles are worth their weight in gold in my book. The accuracy is unreal and being able to plink in my backyard is awesome. I actually shot an entire tin today and none of my neighbors knew a thing and I was even smacking spinners. 
Le 
I know the initial investment seems like a lot to swallow, but if you can swing it and intend on spending $300 on a springer you can put a couple more bucks to it and increase the fun 10 fold. You can find a complete HP tank setup for $259+ shipping which will give you PLENTY of fills (so long as you are close to a fill source)

Edit: we also have a fantastic classifieds section. I purchased my Pup through it. Just back check feedback for the member. We have a lot of good guys here with immaculate equipment going up for sale all the time. 

The Hatsan 95 is a good beginner. I have the 95 Vortex in .25. cal. It does the job on small game with Predator Polymag 26 grain pellets. Its a tack driver. Mine is topped with
the UTG Leapers 3-12x44 Accushot SWAT IE scope. This should keep you under your $300 mark. Good luck. But also do your homework and check out some youtube videos on different rifles.

I have all three caliber of the Hatsan 95 Vortex. Couldn't be more pleased for the price. Midwestusa.com has them all for $149.99 now. No telling what they will be on Black Friday. I use the .25 for squirrel hunting, and it does a dandy job. Very accurate right out of the box. It's a crapshoot on the cheap scope, but sometimes you get a good one. Waking-Mart has Centerpoint scopes for about $69 on up, with lifetime warranties. This should keep you on budget as a quality starter setup. Here's a target at 38' with the OEM scope using H&N Baracuda 31.02gr pellets.

image.jpeg
"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/flyfishohio/Gun%20stuff/Pellet%20Rifles/image.jpeg[/IMG][/url]

"Beginners gun", I am not sure if there is such an animal. I know I saw this with archery equipment only to have the person want to upgrade within a very short time, but also want to sell his first purchase so they don't "lose out".
I would suggest (if you can) try out different airguns as much as you can and then buy something that you won't be wanting to immediately upgrade. Another point is that as long as it isn't to expensive you will also have a less difficult time selling it in case you end up not liking the sport or getting hooked as much as you thought you would. 

All depends on what and how you are going to shoot. If you are just going to do some target shooting and a few back yard pest then the break barrels will do you just fine. For hunting I like my PCP's. I always found it to be a pain in the butt to load a break barrel when hunting. Sometimes you need a quick followup shot that you can not get with a break barrel. But that is just my opinion.

I've shot varmints out to 60 yards with my RWS 34 .177. Break barrel spring guns take some getting used to and I'd have to say if you're looking for something easier to shoot, effective, and the closest PCP to your price range I'd go with the Benjamin Discovery, but if you're looking for a quality lower priced spring gun I'd say get the RWS 34 (maybe in .22 cal).