• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Best 30mm Moderators?

Looking for a 30mm moderator around 5-6.5". What are some of the best ones to go with? I'm leaning Huma Mod 30 Compact. DonnyFL Ryu sounds cool but not sure it's worth the extra money. Wonder if anyone else has better experiences with others in that size range.
30mm that's one heck of a air gun, what are you shooting? Elephants? 😏

As promised...while not a 30, I completed my version of testing with the Yokozuna, Ryu, and Sumo (all in .22).

The measuring setup:
  • Hardware/Software - iPad 12 Pro/SoundMeter X app
  • Mic - Dayton Audio iMM-6C calibrated USB-C mic. (each mic includes a unique serialized calibration file that SounMeter X can load)
    • Mic was set 6 feet down range from the moderator, pointed at the moderator's muzzle
  • Airgun - Fx Impact M3 600mm .22 with a Bullet Central carbon fiber tensioner and carbon fiber shroud
  • Pellets - JSB Diablo Exact Jumbo Heavy .22 18.13 gr.
    • Pellets fired at 890 fps avg.
  • Testing Environment - my basement 20-yard range :)
Gathered results (3 shot average dBA) after trying many variations in the number of baffles on the Ryu and Yokozuna, moving the extender section on the Yokozuna to different positions, and ultimately removing it.
Best results - ascending order of avg dBA
  • 94.5 dBA - Yokozuna w/extra baffle (4 in total)
  • 95.3 dBA - Ryu w/extra baffle (4 in total)
  • 96.3 dBA - Sumo
To my ears, the Yokozuna also had a softer sound, the Ryu a slight ping, and the Sumo a sharp ping compared to the Ryu & Yokozuna. The Yokozuna was like a whisper when firing the airgun empty, but that's not real world. I did a test without the QD adaptor to see if it impacted sound reduction. It did not. Also, POI change was manageable, not severe, when switching moderators. Hope this helps.

Photos of configurations that produced the best results. In the first photo, the Yokozuna extender is to the left of the Yokozuna moderator.

IMG_3682.jpeg
IMG_3679.jpeg
IMG_3680.jpeg

Note: Since I found the Yokozuna quieter w/o its extender, I ordered another baffle. Will update the Yokozuna avg dBA after testing with the additional baffle.

All the Best!

Last edited:
Reactions: BABz58 and Marschb