• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Pump - a user's experience

Greetings my fellow gunner type people,

I am new to this great world of pcp rifles. How new you ask? Still waiting on the pellets to be delivered for my maurauder.

Now I've had my share of little CO2 BB pistols, and I've got my old trusty gamo hornet, but this new brave world of pneumatics is pure wonderment.

Now for the story of the benjamin pump:

So I've got this new .25 caliber maurauder and pump. Hmm... comes with looks about 500 psi in the tank. Makes sense that they wouldn't want the seals letting loose from the factory. I look at the clock; 6:45 pm. I should be able to knock this out AND still be able to catch The Cleveland Show.

First few pumps were no harm no foul. BLAPSST... weird, the nozzle didn't hold. OK let's do this again. Pump, pump, pump... BLAPSST. Again? Well that's what I get for buying a return from amazon.

Ugh, the nozzle scratched the barrel on my new rifle!

"Pro" tip: put a thick wool sock on the barrel.

After a quick intermission for a smoke I come back ready to clip it and rip it. They say this is a workout so let's rock! Dang 6:57 pm - looks like I'll miss the start to The Cleveland Show.

Pump, pump, pump... woo! Made it to 1500 psi in no time. Phew.. starting to break a sweat. 7:12 pm - whoa... better stretch out my back for a minute.

Pump, pump, pump... alright made it to 2000! I'm wheezing a bit, and I'm soaked in sweat. I'm also wondering why I don't work out more.

2200 psi... almost there! It might be 7:32 pm and I've missed The Cleveland Slow, but it'll be so rewarding to get to the end.

7:47 pm - I've used this time and have reflected on my past discrepancies and battled my inner demons.

I'm so dizzy.

I bend down and check how many psi I'm at. 2900... whoa still dizzy. I fall forward and smash my head against the kitchen counter.

....some hours later I awoke confused, and disoriented, staring down the barrel of a rifle. I soil myself and pass out again.

More time passes. I wake again renewed and ready to make it. Like a survivor that swam the river Styx.

Pump, pu...mp... p...ump. 3k.. wh..hoo phew.

Now for the actual experience.

I said that first part was a story right?

It wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Did take me about 40 leisurely minutes and a smoke break, but that was from "empty" so not it's going to be like that every time.

The nozzle fitting did pop off and leave a few nicks down the barrel, but I call that adding character and personality to your gun.

I do weight 250lbs and am 6' 2" so maybe the weight and size I've got gives me an advantage.

I'll say as a new guy though, I'm so pumped (*badum tsss*) to have this piece of equipment.

Very happy with it and would recommend newbies like me get it before fancy pants scuba tanks. Makes me feel good to work for it.

Kind of like the reasons I bought a reel mower instead of a gas one but that's a different topic altogether.

Ciao!

Reactions: Swing360
Welcome to the fourm!
There is a proper technique to using a hand pump for best efficiency and longevity of the pump. You want to pause at the bottom and top of each stroke for maybe 3 seconds. This maximizes the amount of air entering the gun and allows the pump to cool a bit. Its also good to let it cool every few minutes. Then you can rest too.
The foster fitting should not slip off. Give it a good tug before pumping. Make sure the coupler sleeve is pushed forward. I have never had one pop off.

yea 30Cal is right its really much beter t fallow the pump directions on that one and also if your over 200 pounds when you get above 2000psi it dose make it a lot easier cuz the body wait dose a lot of the work I have a tank that I fill with a hand pump (over a course of a week) that I get to almost 4500psi and let me tell you that pressure is NO JOKE I feel like im about to die after a while lol but fr the weekend I don't have to pump and I get about 8 fills on my 25 marauder 

Stop smoking? No can do mom.

I just thought I'd post this story/experience out here so other newbies (and even the seasoned vets of air rifles) searching the web for info on how hard a benjamin pump is to pump would find it and learn from my mistake of not checking the nozzle...or at least get a chuckle.

I also figured out why the nozzle did slip off too. One of the ball barrings that hold it on track in the nozzle was jammed in the open position in the coupler. The box it came in had a phone number for "Micah" written on it in sharpie, and it looked like they used it for target practice for a .177 caliber before returning it scratched up, but honestly I think the dude that returned it to Amazon yanked it off his gun instead of unclipping it.

Minor fiddling with it got it in a right working condition again.

I grew up riding in an 18 wheeler and have been around an air hose or two in my time, but my temporary lack of wisdom left me with a perfect little reminder to respect AND to check your gear everytime you go to use it. First time, or the 901st time. Don't get to comfortable and flub.

After all... you'll shoot your eye out kid! (Name that film hahaha!)

I skipped the pump and (thanks to Jimmy, I.E: CampFussel) went to a 66cf 4500psi tank that is REALLY easy on the wallet and is a good "starter" tank. 

http://www.topgun-airguns.com/SCBA-tank-with-adapter_p_94.html

it was $253.20 shipped to my door which, if I remember is less than the "better quality" Hill pump that people offer up as a option for a good reliable pump. 

If you shot from 2900-1000 you would get some 24 fills(if I did that correctly) before needing to head out to refill the tank. Obviously, this would only be a good option if you are close to a fill station (which I am) otherwise you would want more volume. This was a good option for me as I didn't like the idea of pumping and I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a tank as I just put a bunch of money down on a rifle. Albeit, I get 4-5 times the usable shots from my rifle from the same 200bar, so that was a driving factor also in being comfortable with a smaller volume tank.

I will say, your story had me rolling. I too am a smoker and had visions of what you so eloquently shared with us happening to me. ANOTHER reason the tank appealed to me. Haha