• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Marauder Field And Target .177 Which Barrel Option

Guys who don’t own one will tell you Crosman barrels are a crap shoot (Pun) because that’s what they’ve read on the internet.

Voices of experience will tell you they shoot great.

I believe the odds are less than 1% of getting an inferior factory barrel.

Here are two options:

get one with the crosman barrel and shoot it. If it truly sucks (shooting a quality pellet like JSB’s 8.4) then spend the money on a LW. You can order them made to fit.They take every bit of 10 minutes to install start to finish.

Or you can spend the Benjamin on the Benjamin and get the LW barrel up front. 

Keep this in mind....Crosman isn’t selling Marauders with LW barrels because their barrels suck. They’re selling marauders with LW barrels because the buying public believes their factory barrels do. (And they want to sell marauders) All of their barrels are made in house under strict QC and are tested before shipping. 

Personally, I’ll keep my factory barrel. It shoots better than I do.

Go with lw. I just got a defective barrel from crosman and the second wouldn't feed until i debured the transfer port area. Its 100% worth the extra cash. Also if you buy it from joe broncato at airtanksforsale.Com he installs a hammer debounce device that gets you 50 percent more shots for free. It works. Between that and the reg on the 177 f&t you will get an insane amount of shots. I know insane isnt precise but i lost count at 80 something last time and had plenty of air. Also if i could do it all over again id get the regular marauder and install a huma or something. The reg works ok but is not adjustable and the spread is more than I like. It ranges from 930 to 1000 fps between 1100psi and 3000 on mine. Not horrible certainly servicable but with a little work and knowledge you can have a gun that competes with the big boys. I have seen marauders with lw outshoot "better" guns from guys at my club. Its always hilarious to beat a guy holding a vulcan with a gun way more than half the price. I will get the lw barrel when its available. Gluck to you. 

I have heard Crosman has greatly improved their stock barrels over the last year. I have not shot one myself however- only heard good reviews. 

I use a LW barrel on a gen 1 Marauder for field target with great results. When I miss a shot it always seems to be user error! 

Finding the right pellet and tune is very important. I'm shooting 13.4 gr JSB monsters, tuned down to around 18.5 fps. Non-regulated I get about 30 consistent shots of 2% deviation of velocity. I imagine I could get 60 good shots or more if I regulated it- enough to shoot a FT match.

Here's a link to some of my videos. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCftuEXdQhTdZPX4o6K_iFzQ/featured

I've got a 1322 I customized and tuned by myself. I first got the 14.5" barrel, then ordered the LW barrel as I wasn't satisfied. It's been polished and cleaned up. It's extremely picky with ammo. But feeding it what it likes is well worth it. It's picky in regards to projectile diameter. JSBs are slightly over the diameter it likes, but because they're so soft, they still shoot extremely well. I can actually re-size junk Crosman pellets to have accuracy wayyyy higher than they should. But with junk pellets there are still weight and skirt inconsistencies even if I can sort the diameter issue

LW for $100.00 .

Agree 90+% of the .177 barrels seem good and crosman offers "LW" because people want it. IF one desired to buy a barrel later the black is $120+ add machining and remember if anything goes wrong it is on you. And right or wrong the LW will have slightly better resale value.

John

just looked at PA, did not know you can now get an unregulated marauder WITH LW barrel. Seems a better choice that the "F&T" model, just drop in a $69.00 regulator and win some shoots.