• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin discovery

If I were going to have to save awhile, get licensed, get permission to buy a particular gun and all that jazz, I would definitely not get a Discovery. Get something a bit nicer, Marauder at a minimum. In addition to the power and accuracy of a Discovery, the Marauder adds:
  • Very quiet report; truly backyard-friendly, if you're allowed to shoot in your backyard.
  • A nicer action. Smoother all-around and less binding.
  • A reliable 10-shot repeater (or 8, in .25 caliber)
  • Higher shot count at the factory tune. 35 shots to a fill on .177 or just call it three magazines' worth.
  • Still easy to pump, though not QUITE as easy as a Disco.
If you'll be refilling a lot outdoors, you'll want a tank and have it refilled at a dive shop, to make sure you're not pumping humid air into your valuable air rifle. If you can pump it up indoors, where it's air conditioned and reasonably dry, a pump is fine, and pumping is great exercise.

If there's a big mark-up in AU for Benjamins, you should consider something higher-end, like Air Arms S510, Brocock Compatto or Bantam, BSA R-10, etc. I don't think I'd pay more than $500 US for a new one of one of the finer British rifles are in the ballpark.

It sounds like it might be similar to the New Jersey/New York law for buying a handgun. Since those guys need a state permit to buy a SPECIFIC handgun, they are willing to spend more and get something really nice; it is almost a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

How old are you? If you ever visit the Chicago area, message me here and maybe we can get out shooting.

"Smaug"If I were going to have to save awhile, get licensed, get permission to buy a particular gun and all that jazz, I would definitely not get a Discovery. Get something a bit nicer, Marauder at a minimum. In addition to the power and accuracy of a Discovery, the Marauder adds:
  • Very quiet report; truly backyard-friendly, if you're allowed to shoot in your backyard.
  • A nicer action. Smoother all-around and less binding.
  • A reliable 10-shot repeater (or 8, in .25 caliber)
  • Higher shot count at the factory tune. 35 shots to a fill on .177 or just call it three magazines' worth.
  • Still easy to pump, though not QUITE as easy as a Disco.
If you'll be refilling a lot outdoors, you'll want a tank and have it refilled at a dive shop, to make sure you're not pumping humid air into your valuable air rifle. If you can pump it up indoors, where it's air conditioned and reasonably dry, a pump is fine, and pumping is great exercise.

If there's a big mark-up in AU for Benjamins, you should consider something higher-end, like Air Arms S510, Brocock Compatto or Bantam, BSA R-10, etc. I don't think I'd pay more than $500 US for a new one of one of the finer British rifles are in the ballpark.

It sounds like it might be similar to the New Jersey/New York law for buying a handgun. Since those guys need a state permit to buy a SPECIFIC handgun, they are willing to spend more and get something really nice; it is almost a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

How old are you? If you ever visit the Chicago area, message me here and maybe we can get out shooting.
Ye I was think that if I have to save a wait I should buy something really nice. I live on a farm to no problem with noise. I am 14, and 15 at the end of the year so it might be a while be for anything happens. Thanks for your help

tom

"Saltlake58"Tom - Congratulations on the Disco. It'll serve you for a very long time. 
My first PCP (and only so far) is a Marauder. Same family of guns, and I greatly enjoy shooting it. You'll do the same with the Disco. 
Stay in touch on the forums, we need that international flavor!
I didn't buy one. But it would be nice still saving. Hahahaha 
thanks tom

"Saltlake58"My apologies! I misread one of the posts! Keep saving then, it's a good gun, and there more and more lower cost choices coming around. Disco is good, will serve well for a long time.
All good night buy something a bit better but don't know what because I will have to save a get one from the U.S. Or somewhere I think something else because of all the trouble. Might as well get something pretty good. I understand that the disco is good but something a bit more power. 

Thanks tom.