• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Discovery dilemma

Hey guys. I have not posted in a long time and I’m only recently shooting again. Re introducing myself to my rifles and re evaluating them and my need for them. In question is my .22 cal. Benjamin Discovery. I’m a lover of spring piston rifles because......everything about them, but I wasn’t against trying out a PCP so I ordered a Discovery. It’s fine, but on my first filling I only got about 10 shots. I might have been more accepting of that but I’m only using the hand pump and that’s way too much work for my kind of shooting. Honestly, even having a scuba tank and refilling that frequently would be a disqualification for me.
Im at a loss for what my options are that would make it a keeper so I can either get some enjoyment from it or trade it to someone for something that I will shoot.
Thanks 

Discoveries are air hogs and have a small tank. They are oversprung from the factory. If you reduce the transfer port to .125" (.140" is stock) and cut a coil or 2 off the hammer spring you bring the power down to 20 ft lbs and maybe get 40 shots a fill out of it. Those last couple ft lbs over 20 really drive up the air usage. The only way to reduce the transfer port is to order a Challenger port from Crosman. It comes at about .050" so you can drill it for whatever power you need. I have the part number at home and can post it if you need it later. Don't discount the scuba tank. The aluminum 3,000 psi ones are cheap and you will get like 80 fills off it for a Disco.

Reactions: Prine

What do you think of those "power adjusters" for the Disco? is it best to get a weaker spring to start with?

I had one, but never adjusted it once I had settled on a tune. If you want 20 ft lb, just cut the stock spring. If you are going for 12 ft lbs; a .080 transfer port, and an adjuster are needed. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't use a weaker spring, I would use a stiff spring with little or no preload.

I get about 12 shots out of my Disco with the average around 840 fps with the Crossman Premier Hollow Point 14.35gr pellets. It is still well into the green by then but not the optimum

speed I want to shoot at when it drops below about 830 fps or so. I like the Disco. It was my first PCP. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I'm not getting rid of it.