• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman QB Chief .22 video review by AEAC

I have a modified Beeman QB78 that is shortened and added a cheek piece also it is PCP know and at 25 to 33 yards it is nickel size groups.
The barrel is 13.5 inches with modified valve shooting at about 785fps with Crosman premier hollow points 14.3gr. Finnish the gun about a week before this one came out may get one soon.

PS Steve love your videos keep them comming greetings from Inverness Fl.
Grumpy

"if the gauntlet can do it for 299 the impact should be around 500 just seems over priced to me seems like they want to keep them out of the hands of the common man"

The reality is that the Gauntlet can't do "it" for $299. As with everything you get into diminishing returns, but there still are returns. The Gauntlet and QB Cheif do seem like very sensible budget builds but they are not competing with the $1000+ airguns on any metric. Crosman might see a significant loss of market share though. Cheif @ $180 vs Disco @ $250, or Gauntlet @ $299 vs MROD @ $500. I love playing with those platforms but the cheap barrels have real limitations.

I've had the QB chief a couple weeks now and have been lucky enough to get similar results as Steve did in the video.

Right off the bat the trigger needs adjustment. You'll have to remove the safety with a brass punch to remove the stock. The trigger has the classic three QB adjustment screws. Hard cocking and odd velocity variations disappeared after I made trigger adjustments.

Next remove the barrel and clean out all cosmoline, then polish with Jb bore paste. The breach seal is located on the bolt probe. I had some slight damage on the breach seal after very little use. While polishing I looked for any burrs, which I couldn't find. After polishing the breach seal oring damage ceased.Check the three barrel orings for damage then lube these orings and reinstall barrel.

I added a tko 14mm QB brake and am pretty satisfied with accuracy after playing with the timing. Sound levels are acceptable as well.

Buying a budget rifle like this leaves plenty spare change for good optics. I ended up going with the 6x42 swfa. Which is plenty mag for knocking bushy tailed critters out of tall shelly barked hickorys or jumping bunnies out of a briar patch at close range. While a little low for longer ranges, the 6X did good enough for 75-100 yard shooting.

Like in the video the 15.89gr jsb's shot extremely well averaging 1.5 inches at 100 yards. The AA 16grs shot slightly better, but I ran out of those and hopefully will receive 8 new tins from PA in the near future. I believe the AA pellets might be the ones to beat in my rifle. At shorter ranges the H&N FTT 5.53 head shot extremely well if the wind wasn't too strong. I plan on testing the barracuda match 5.53 heads this weekend to see if the heavier weight has a positive effect on shot count and down range performance. I'll also be testing a few other pellets.

I understand the low price might put some experienced shooters off, but this rifle has really preformed well for me. I highly doubt Steve got a cherry picked gun and while I am skeptical of most video reviews I'm very confident most of these rifles will preform as well as seen above. The barrel seems to be very good. Much better than past Benjamin.22 barrels. My biggest complaints against the rifle would be the very large beeman logo on the stock. It's almost as ugly as white line spacers on rifles.... Almost! The orings on the barrel and breach seal may need to be replaced with little use. The rifle is very heavy for its size. Probably wouldn't make a good truck/atv gun.The cosmoline should be removed before firing. I believe some of the small issues I encountered was due to the thick grease. The hammer spring is very heavy and seems to have be set to a cliff tune. I'll probably trim the spring down and fine tune it after some more trigger time. At this point I'm getting 23ftlbs for 17 shots before poi drops. I could only get 10 good shots at 100 yards with a consistent poi with a starting pressure of 1900psi. 

All in all this is a wonderful rifle and a very modest investment 

I wanted to bring back this old thread and give a little update on my long term (well about a month) with a 177 version of this little guy.

Really in a nutshell so far so good, The trigger has cleaned up, and was cleaned up....basically a QB trigger.

My groups are still like what he was getting in the video at 50, mine open up a bit at 100, but I have not tried many pellets. Like others FTT 4.52 seems to be what mine likes inside of 50, I have not really tested many different pellets out at 100.

All in all I agree with everything that has been said before, great rifle....not a great rifle for the price....just a flat great rifle.

I enjoy the modest priced rifles.....thinking of giving the euro maximus a go, with the discount...it is a smoking deal.

This little gem is getting more use then my more expensive PCP's.....for the price you expect the expensive stuff to do well....for the price of this it shooting as well or better then the more expensive rifles is just joy to me.

From my experience with comparing it to the SPA Varmint, Crosman Discovery the Chief is my go to PCP in this $200 bracket.
I had to replace all the orings in the Varmint within a months use due to the use of subpar orings. Plus the transfer port was machined out of alignment.
Discovery had an oversize foster fill probe from the get go. Started not holding air within two months of use due to orings developing a leak.
The only problem I've had with the Chief after approximately six months of use and approximately 500 pellets was a slow leak around the pressure gauge which needed snugging up.
The Chief is a bit heaver than the Varmint and Discovery but it makes up for it in the accuracy,reliability and ascetically pleasing to look at department.