• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman QB Chief .22 video review by AEAC

My concern is that Steve got way lucky and got a little gem of a shooter. I'm afraid with the obvious lack of quality control that there might be a lot of lemons that can't shoot anywhere near as well at 50 yards - let alone the incredible performance Steve got at 100. It is $180 so no big deal but I think it is probably safe to manage expectations on the Chief. 

I had a Disco that I could never get shooting well - I'm not an expert and in no way gunsmith my own guns. My last resort is to order a new barrel soon to see if I can fix it. My point is that I think the Chief might be another let down if I go the sub $200-$300 route. 

Thanks for another awesome review! I really like the partnership between AEAC and AGN. Pretty cool stuff. 

"iowaairguns"My concern is that Steve got way lucky and got a little gem of a shooter. I'm afraid with the obvious lack of quality control that there might be a lot of lemons that can't shoot anywhere near as well at 50 yards - let alone the incredible performance Steve got at 100. It is $180 so no big deal but I think it is probably safe to manage expectations on the Chief. 

I had a Disco that I could never get shooting well - I'm not an expert and in no way gunsmith my own guns. My last resort is to order a new barrel soon to see if I can fix it. My point is that I think the Chief might be another let down if I go the sub $200-$300 route. 

Thanks for another awesome review! I really like the partnership between AEAC and AGN. Pretty cool stuff.

It's very possible but maybe not. Two Chiefs were sent my way to hold another twofer RDW but one of them looked like poo (cosmetically) so I sent it back and just hosted a normal review with this one. Early on in testing I thought it was bad mechanically because fps was fluctuating wildly between 450 and 900 but it turned out to be a great shooter once the valve chilled out 400 shots later. Lesson learned. To this platform's credit, the Banjamin Maximus and Maximus Euro I reviewed a while back were both equally accurate but I believe Crosman makes their own barrels and the Chief's are made in China. Either way, for $180 and a sound AGD return policy, how can ya go wrong?
Steve

thanks for the review. Personally I don't care for the name stamped in the wood but that seems a thing these days. Quality of the last QB's to hit the U.S. - before branded but long after name change- were really very very good, finish & varrels - groups- were very good. Excelent triggers with slight work, only a reworked marauder seems better.

Should be a great entry level/truck rifle.

John

"AEAC"
"iowaairguns"My concern is that Steve got way lucky and got a little gem of a shooter. I'm afraid with the obvious lack of quality control that there might be a lot of lemons that can't shoot anywhere near as well at 50 yards - let alone the incredible performance Steve got at 100. It is $180 so no big deal but I think it is probably safe to manage expectations on the Chief. 

It's very possible but maybe not. Two Chiefs were sent my way to hold another twofer RDW but one of them looked like poo (cosmetically) so I sent it back and just hosted a normal review with this one. Early on in testing I thought it was bad mechanically because fps was fluctuating wildly between 450 and 900 but it turned out to be a great shooter once the valve chilled out 400 shots later. Lesson learned. To this platform's credit, the Banjamin Maximus and Maximus Euro I reviewed a while back were both equally accurate but I believe Crosman makes their own barrels and the Chief's are made in China. Either way, for $180 and a sound AGD return policy, how can ya go wrong?
Steve
Between 450-900????? I don't see a problem. Sounds like a good standard deviation. The fit and finish (loose as a goose) looks a little bit like my M16 I was issued and the1000 other troops in basic training before me. But hey......... For less than $200 bucks it gets on the paper.

"Keith2324"I noticed in this video the bolt kept "opening" or releasing after each shot. Is this normal with a bolt of that design? I have not seen that before. I also thought that could be a cause for some of the variance in the fps shot to shot.

Keith.
I noticed that as well. Im assuming it's just a flawless in the design as Benjamin discoverys and maximus do it as well. Not all do but it's a common thing. Gotta say it does shoot well.

"Keith2324"I noticed in this video the bolt kept "opening" or releasing after each shot. Is this normal with a bolt of that design? I have not seen that before. I also thought that could be a cause for some of the variance in the fps shot to shot.

Keith.
Hi Keith,

I've seen this several times before and out of bolt action airguns across all price points. Doesn't ever seem to effect velocity either. Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve, yet another outstanding review. Your review of the Maximus was the deciding factor of me purchasing one. I couldn't be happier with it. After a few mods (I spent under $20), this thing is a real shooter. Now that the Chief is out, I have one huge question. If you can get such big performance out of a "budget" gun, are the big names in the airgun industry going to respond? Will there be a $300-$400 FX? How about dropping the cost of what they have to be more competitive? I do own a FX Impact in .25 and I absolutely love that rifle. I also own a Hatsan BT-65 QE in .25 that'll out shoot my Impact up to 75 yards ( haven't had time for 100 yards yet) and I spent $1,000 less on it after mods. Yes my Impact gets more shots per fill and has a tighter ES (not by much), but the bottom line for me is can I hit my target with the cheaper gun. I can hit any target just as good, if not better, with my budget guns than my high end guns. The way I see it, the big name manufacturers have some options to compete. They could make an entry level rifle that doesn't need the trigger job or barrel crown yet keep the cost reasonable. I'd spend $300 on a Maximus with a sweet trigger and better stock. They could lower the cost of what they have to make their product more available to people. If FX dropped the price of the Streamline to $750, they just opened the eyes of someone who was looking into a Hatsan or Airforce rifle. The third thing is to come out with some never seen before tech to justify the high price. FX does a good job at this. The Impact caught my attention and the Crown looks to be even more impressive. Anyway, I love how these budget guns keep getting better and better. It is a very interesting time to be an airgunner and the future looks to be even better. 

Steve,

I enjoyed the video. Like others have said, I like the way you lay out the videos and your honest opinions on the guns you review.

I have to say I'm impressed with the Chief. The fit and finish may be rough but it can shoot (at least with you shooting it) and the $180 price range is within my budget!

Any chance of a review of the 177 version? All I'm looking for is a backyard plinker.

Thanks,

Jim

"Helimech"Steve, yet another outstanding review. Your review of the Maximus was the deciding factor of me purchasing one. I couldn't be happier with it. After a few mods (I spent under $20), this thing is a real shooter. Now that the Chief is out, I have one huge question. If you can get such big performance out of a "budget" gun, are the big names in the airgun industry going to respond? Will there be a $300-$400 FX? How about dropping the cost of what they have to be more competitive? I do own a FX Impact in .25 and I absolutely love that rifle. I also own a Hatsan BT-65 QE in .25 that'll out shoot my Impact up to 75 yards ( haven't had time for 100 yards yet) and I spent $1,000 less on it after mods. Yes my Impact gets more shots per fill and has a tighter ES (not by much), but the bottom line for me is can I hit my target with the cheaper gun. I can hit any target just as good, if not better, with my budget guns than my high end guns. The way I see it, the big name manufacturers have some options to compete. They could make an entry level rifle that doesn't need the trigger job or barrel crown yet keep the cost reasonable. I'd spend $300 on a Maximus with a sweet trigger and better stock. They could lower the cost of what they have to make their product more available to people. If FX dropped the price of the Streamline to $750, they just opened the eyes of someone who was looking into a Hatsan or Airforce rifle. The third thing is to come out with some never seen before tech to justify the high price. FX does a good job at this. The Impact caught my attention and the Crown looks to be even more impressive. Anyway, I love how these budget guns keep getting better and better. It is a very interesting time to be an airgunner and the future looks to be even better.

I don't know... I kinda hope they don't rerespond. It would be good to see FX, RAW and Daystate continue to focus on making premier offerings. Don't get me wrong, I don't like parting with my dollars any more than the next guy but sometimes when a company gets to "wide," they loose a sense of who they are. I'm perfectly ok with some airgun companies specializing in value offerings and others in pure performance. For me at least, there's a wide gap between mear accuracy and balanced performance.

"JimQwerty123"Steve,

I enjoyed the video. Like others have said, I like the way you lay out the videos and your honest opinions on the guns you review.

I have to say I'm impressed with the Chief. The fit and finish may be rough but it can shoot (at least with you shooting it) and the $180 price range is within my budget!

Any chance of a review of the 177 version? All I'm looking for is a backyard plinker.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks Jim. Check this one out.

the problem i have as an american i can buy a high dollar target powder burner for less than a fx streamline i think the streamline is way overpriced just like the impact you should be able to buy both for less than 1000 just my opinion and i know some of yall agree and some disagree but if the gauntlet can do it for 299 the impact should be around 500 just seems over priced to me seems like they want to keep them out of the hands of the common man