• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beaver Removal with new Thermion 2 XQ38

These are approx 50 lb animals at 45y. I have removed 7 from this blocked creek in a valley causing flooding. I worked this area 5 months back and thought the valley was cleared of beaver. The shots that make perfect head contact leave nothing to video. Hope these very short videos help anyone interested in thermal equipment for night pest removal. The reflection from trees on the water cause a lot of clutter for viewing. 

https://youtu.be/hYmg1W9o-3k

Range is about 40y average on those just shot. My gun is zeroed at 50y for the dam they built down range. My night gun used is a .30 FX Dream Pup tube version shooting at 850 FPS with about 70 ft/lbs at muzzle. I remove many other farm/ranch pests at night but beaver problems have came up at 3 places lately and I have never been asked for this type of removal so I have a learning curve. All three beaver call outs would go to trappers if I did not except the task. Once I showed up at a pond and my own county logo was on a truck that was sent out to trap out beaver in problem areas. I did not know the county even had a trapper much less the fee was 400.00 for one set-up. The things you learn.

I can shoot with quiet air gun and within 20 minutes another shows. No I have never noted them leaving water. They have slides all around but don't like being in the open much. They will submerge if I miss and hold near the bank or in pond grass. I see the head now with thermal.

Interesting. I don’t know much about them. 

Beaver tails can be tanned for leather goods. Primarily seen them used for making wallets. Alternatively if you are a trapper, you can make tail oil for trapping coyotes. 

The most valuable part of a beaver is the castors. They are easily extracted and easily saleable.

The hides have almost no value. I averaged $12 each but it takes me about two hours to skin, flesh and put up a beaver pelt. Most of that is in the fleshing. OTOH beaver meat is very good on the table. Almost like roast beef.

Beaver tails can be tanned for leather goods. Primarily seen them used for making wallets. Alternatively if you are a trapper, you can make tail oil for trapping coyotes. 

The most valuable part of a beaver is the castors. They are easily extracted and easily saleable.

Thanks. I was always curious but never remembered to ask anyone before.