• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bear River Schofield Hack

I have had a soft spot in my head for years for a Uberti replica Schofield revolver, but at $1200 it remains on my most wanted list. When a co2 version came within my reach at gun show I snapped it up. The pistol is your Bear River and is a real beaut, with excellent finish and a smooth action. These are currently available in a smooth bore .177 for bb’s and pellets.

I needed a rifled barrel, thinking this would increase range and accuracy. The smooth bore isn’t bad for accuracy, but a guy just has to tinker, right? So I searched my parts stash and came up with a barrel off a Crosman 1377. I cut the length to 6.5 inches and turned down the diameter. After chamfering, polishing and some profanity the barrel was fitted to the gun.

The project was finished after dark tonight, so accuracy testing will have to wait for daylight. Test firing into a phone book with pointed pellets showed increased penetration. If anyone wants additional information on this mod feel free to contact me.

I'm with you as pertains Schofield attraction, but haven't been impressed with many BB guns for over a half-century. So your rifled-barrel modification sounds very cool. I'd be interested in photos, velocity, and accuracy testing; but not at the expense of interrupting your enjoyment the cool new toy.

Congratulations on your Schofield custom.

Hi Gasman,

I got a chance to shoot a few rounds in the basement this afternoon and I’m very happy with the results. The mod adds several ounces to the barrel weight and helps with balance, the pistol feels more like the real thing. I can only shoot about 25 feet and the lighting is a bit dim but the Schofield averaged around 1.5 inches with flat nosed pellets and a little better with pointed hunting pellets.

There is a little sharper snap since I replaced the factory barrel, but I haven’t run it across the chrony yet. I intend to disassemble the barrel and take photos but that will have to wait a while with deer season on next week. I built a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved this summer and am anxious to see how it performs.