• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Be Careful Loaning Out Your PCPs

Hey all, just wanted to give a heads up on loaning out your PCPs. I had a very good friend who wanted to borrow one of my PCPs so I happily lent it to him in a nice hard case as anyone would. A few weeks passed and I felt like generosity was creeping towards abuse. Long story short I had a mild confrontation when I FINALLY got my hard case back only to open it up and find two tuned P-Rods in it rather than the Notos I had loaned out.

Rather than lose a friendship I ordered another and let my friend keep it. No idea what to do with these P-Rods though. I guess I will set a few cans up 20’ away and let the kids plink at them. I would think the pellet drop wouldnt be that bad for them.
Could have been worse. He could have given you back two Daisy Red Ryders.

It reflects a difference in the lawmaking process. In the States lawmakers decided being a "firearm" was about burning powder to shoot a projectile. In Canada being a "firearm" had to do with shooting a projectile over a certain speed or energy-level.

So for example, NERF guns are legally firearms in Canada, but they're just not ones that require a permit. The Canadian model leaves-open some untested legal issues. Imagine you get a speeding ticket and the police officer sees a NERF gun on your passenger seat. In principle they could charge you with some firearms offenses, just like they do with people who carry sub-500fps airguns in their cars. In court that could result in losing your firearms permit, even though a NERF gun is essentially harmless.

We were quite permissive about firearms until about the 90's when the "Montreal massacre" resulted in lawmakers going overboard. Firearms have since been a wedge issue between our conservative party and all the other parties. I wasn't in Canada through most of the 90's so I missed it. But we went from fairly casual use and transport of firearms (I'd take my grandfather's semi-automatic pistol from his condo in downtown Edmonton to our family farm about 100km away to hunt gophers -- by myself, on my bicycle, as a 13-year old), to a system where you need a license to transport or use a gun. When I returned to Canada it felt like something big and familiar had disappeared. My grandfather used to bring guns to school -- he'd ride on horseback and hunt on the way home.

Thanks for the additional information. I remember my 8th grade history teacher who was from the Bronx in New York telling us about carrying his Winchester model 52 target rifle on the subway and bus to high school every Friday for rifle team practice. Back then almost every high school in the nation had a rifle team and kept 22 LR target rifles and ammo in the school. There are still indoor shooting ranges in many of the older high schools, but of course, in most states, nobody can use them.

Reactions: bf1956
Thanks for the additional information. I remember my 8th grade history teacher who was from the Bronx in New York telling us about carrying his Winchester model 52 target rifle on the subway and bus to high school every Friday for rifle team practice. Back then almost every high school in the nation had a rifle team and kept 22 LR target rifles and ammo in the school. There are still indoor shooting ranges in many of the older high schools, but of course, in most states, nobody can use them.
We had a .22 rifle range in our high school where I grew up in Long Island N.Y. That was one of the places where I learned to shoot.
Years later I learned they turned it into a wrestling room. Not really surprised.

I’ve always wondered the thought process of some, that when you loan them something, something they asked to borrow for a task, I’ve always had to contact them, weeks, sometimes months later, asking if they were done with it. Their answer typically is “oh yeah, I’ve been done, and I’ve been meaning to get this back to you”.

I’ve loaned like three tools, and all of them, I’ve had to call to get them back. One took a whole year to get back. So, anymore, I just don’t loan out.

I’ve always wondered the thought process of some, that when you loan them something, something they asked to borrow for a task, I’ve always had to contact them, weeks, sometimes months later, asking if they were done with it. Their answer typically is “oh yeah, I’ve been done, and I’ve been meaning to get this back to you”.

I’ve loaned like three tools, and all of them, I’ve had to call to get them back. One took a whole year to get back. So, anymore, I just don’t loan out.

Another way to look at it is making it a friendship test. Loan them something you are willing to give to them under lending terms and see how things go. If people don’t return my stuff or try to short change splitting dinner bill then they will forever staying as acquaintances.

Remind me of a job i once had / my best job ever, so in this job we drove new cars onto the ferried and off again on the other side.
And one time, me being a little too frisky with the throttle in winter, and still being a idiot as this was in the 90ties and i was 30 YO and not yet grown up.
Well i damn near put a brand new Daimler double six sideways into a sign :oops: Fortunately i saved it / lucked out.

Same place we started to inspect the cars for dents and scratched on either side of the ferry ride, and instantly the monthly costs dropped to 25%, meaning for a long time the ferry company paid for the trucking company's damages.
And those trucker guys, well they would reverse a big ass Mercedes off their truck and then floor it in between 2 rows of parked cars spinning the tires.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
Almost certain loaning out an airgun is illegal in Canada. At least, I don't know a way to do it without formally selling the gun (then having it sold back later).
Perfectly to lend a airgun. If it's a PAL rated airgun, the individual you are lending it to needs to have a valid license.
- Same could be said for powder-burners. Restricted/prohibited firearms can also be loaned out, it's just a little more paperwork as the horse-people need to be involved :rolleyes:

OP, if I'd lend something to someone... and was given back something different, I'd be a little upset.
- Ho well, as the saying goes "don't lend anything you are not willing to lose"

When I was a young buck I rented a room from two little old ladies for a short time out of necessity. (Maybe because I was being a knuckle head?) I borrowed a powder burner from my older cousin for deer season because I thought I needed something more energy than my .35 Rem. I had it in my room. The ladies and I weren't exactly on the best terms because I kept stumbling in late nights and raiding the fridge munching out on their ice cream! I was on my way out. Bless those sweet ladies they're long gone. The two two dears had given my cousin's rifle to the police because they had gone into my room and saw the gun and it scared them. Oh No! My cousin was expecting his gun back............I don't even remember how it went but I got it back and my cousin was none the wiser. I looked up to him because he was a great family man and father. I never told him what happened with his rifle. I followed his footsteps and he was proud of me. I surprised a few people. All I'm gonna say. The young bucks look to me now. And I'll bust their butts if they aren't living right. Taking care of their business. My cousin died of cancer at 72. Two years ago and I never told him about it. I would love to tell him now. He and I would laugh and he'd shake his head. I needed men like him in my life. Family is everything.
God and family
Amen.