• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bars off on FX pressure gauges

Not such a simple question, the gauge you receive is going to be unique and probably not like anyone else's. Your going to need to check it against a good gauge that you know is correct. I use a Crystal test gauge to confirm. Luckily my FX500 is right on the nat's *&%# and My 400 is reading about 10-15bar less than it should. I would consider that a pretty good gauge though. My Vulcan's gauge looks to be off quite a bit more though. Hopefully you'll get a good one..
jimmy

My FX500's

My FX400's

Reactions: Menttaliist
I second Jimmy's answer: you will need to check against a reliable more accurate gauge. My FX Boss was off about 30 Bar, and as a result, shooting over a chrony I was under filling and getting fewer shots than advertised before power dropped off. AOA sent me a new gauge free of charge, but only after I convinced them that it was the FX gauge that was inaccurate. I had a guppy and great white from Joe B that when connected together gave identical readings, with both giving the same difference from the FX gauge. 

I'm no expert, but I've always wondered how accurate are the small gauges on PCPs? Worse (or perhaps better) Daystate gauges don't have PSI or Bar values, just red, yellow and green zones, forcing you to rely on the gauge on your tank. The Day state system is, in my opinion, pretty stupid, because the recommended fill pressure for my Regal is less than 1/3 into the green zone, anymore and you are over filling, with a bigger curve as a result.

"Regal_US"I second Jimmy's answer: you will need to check against a reliable more accurate gauge. My FX Boss was off about 30 Bar, and as a result, shooting over a chrony I was under filling and getting fewer shots than advertised before power dropped off. AOA sent me a new gauge free of charge, but only after I convinced them that it was the FX gauge that was inaccurate. I had a guppy and great white from Joe B that when connected together gave identical readings, with both giving the same difference from the FX gauge. 

I'm no expert, but I've always wondered how accurate are the small gauges on PCPs? Worse (or perhaps better) Daystate gauges don't have PSI or Bar values, just red, yellow and green zones, forcing you to rely on the gauge on your tank. The Day state system is, in my opinion, pretty stupid, because the recommended fill pressure for my Regal is less than 1/3 into the green zone, anymore and you are over filling, with a bigger curve as a result.
I prefer the Fx gauges over the Daystate ones, simply because of the bar brands. Althrough, couldn't work perfectly, it gives you a better reference point to know when refill the gun. In the Daystate gauges you have just 3 reference points (yellow, green and red), while in the Fx ones you have every 10bar.

Tom, in my case the Crystal test gauge (the company's, lol) is designed to be accurate and comes with a calibration proving sheet. It's made to confirm other instruments and gauges. Fortunately here in the Oil Patch, pressures are a big issue so there are several shops that can calibrate test gauges and check any gauge for that matter with a dead weight tester. I don't use my Crystal gauge on a daily basis but have found a liquid filled WIKA after checking a few that reads right with the Crystal. It's the one I use a daily basis on my cascade system. My other Wika in my shop in the back yard is off by 100# and I marked it so I don't forget.
jimmy

"jking"Tom, in my case the Crystal test gauge (the company's, lol) is designed to be accurate and comes with a calibration proving sheet. It's made to confirm other instruments and gauges. Fortunately here in the Oil Patch, pressures are a big issue so there are several shops that can calibrate test gauges and check any gauge for that matter with a dead weight tester. I don't use my Crystal gauge on a daily basis but have found a liquid filled WIKA after checking a few that reads right with the Crystal. It's the one I use a daily basis on my cascade system. My other Wika in my shop in the back yard is off by 100# and I marked it so I don't forget.
jimmy
Where can i get 1 of those gauges?????????????? and what is the going price of those puppies???????????

The gauge on my bottle pretty much agrees with the digital gauge on my Airwolf.

However, when I fill my Fx Wildcat .25 the gun seems to be over-reading when I start filling (reads 150 when the bottle reads 138 bar), but evens up by the time the gun is full (both at 220 bar). Though there is no obvious sign of the gun being off-reg.

This does not seem to happen with the (sub 12 foot pound) Fx Wildcat .22 as it fills from 60 to 220 bar.