• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barrel Tuner/ Air Stripper

DBlue

Dec 14, 2022
USA
I shot rimfire benchrest for several years, in the rimfire benchrest game it's rare to see a rifle without a barrel tuner. I began making and modifying barrel tuners for all my benchrest rifles, I also made with my own design an air stripper that threads into the end of the tuner that works really well. I just got into the air gun world, and I have been experimenting on my backyard range with a Gauntlet 2 .25 cal. that I bought last week, this rifle responds well using the tuner/air stripper. I have noticed that the barrel tuners on air rifles have just recently started being used, there is some skepticism as if they really work or not. I can only speak about my own experience using them on the rimfire rifles and this air rifle I just got but they do work for me. In my opinion, for a tuner to work properly it has to be mounted on the end of the barrel with main mass of the tuner extending beyond the end of the barrel and it also needs to be made so it can accept various number of weights as different barrels require different amounts of weight to achieve a proper tune. The standard tuner in rimfire benchrest is the Harrells tuner, it is made to be clamped over the end of the barrel, it has to be bored out for the size of the barrel it's put on and it clamps on with a slit type of joint. I have found that on a lot of barrels the stock Harrells tuner works better by machining off the mass of it's weight in the middle section so the weight can be put in the very front extending further from the end of the barrel. I have studied lots of high-speed photographs of rifles being shot and the number one thing that causes flyers is not the air or combustion gasses behind the bullet, it's the turbulent air that is being pushed out the barrel in front of the bullet, when that air in front of the bullet exits the barrel, it creates a turbulent cloud that the bullet has to pass through, and it can tip off the bullet causing a flyer. I came up with the idea of an air stripper that will disperse that cloud of air enough to give the bullet a clear path to the target without tipping it off. I took this Gauntlet 2 rifle and removed the barrel and machined a couple pieces to slip over the barrel that are held in place inside the shroud with O-rings to keep the barrel centered and machined another piece so that when tightening the end cap, the barrel is held tight with no spring inside. I installed my tuner/air stripper and have been experimenting with it to see what kind of accuracy I could get with it and it's been working very well. Just to be upfront, I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything, I'm just posting this to show what can be done experimenting with tuners etc. I will say this though, a tuner or whatever will not make a bad shooting rifle shoot good, but they will make a good shooting rifle shoot better if used properly.

I know showing pics of groups don't mean much but I think it's pretty good to get a 400.00 rifle to shoot an 8 shot group like this at 100 yards.......believe it or not....lol

IMG_4369.jpg

IMG_4372.jpg

Reactions: Mcleod
I believe you are correct about barrel tuners having a place on airguns as I have seen what they can do for a rimfire rifle BUT, my personal experence with them has prooved to be inconclusive at best. Last winter I purchased a Harrels tuner for my RAW benchrest gun that I use for indoor shooting. This rifle has shot many 250 high X count scores but I thought I would give a tuner a try so I had one made to fit the RAW barrel and installed it as per the instructions. I tried every setting that was possible, each setting changing the POI but it made the rifle more like a shotgun than a rifle!! And believe me I tried them all more than once!! I finaly gave up and sold it to a Rimfire guy. I believe that it was just to heavy for the barrel and was causing MORE barrel whip than stopping the harmonics but I don't have any scientific equipment to prove it. Then I bought a tuner that was made for air rifles (3d printed that you add weights to) and put it on a Red Wolf that has a shroud really thinking that it might not work or do anything being mounted on the shroud but I was wrong, The rifle did react to the changes and It showed three settings (nodes) where the groups were pinpoint accurate but when I tried those settings again the groups were no better than any other setting so I gave up on that tuner also. I plan to buy one of the lighter ones for the RAW barrel soon and try it as I DO beleive there is something there to be had as far as accuracy but for now I can say it has been a big waste of time and money. I can see it wasn't for you!! Fantastic group for a $300. gun at 100 yards!! J.L.

I believe you are correct about barrel tuners having a place on airguns as I have seen what they can do for a rimfire rifle BUT, my personal experence with them has prooved to be inconclusive at best. Last winter I purchased a Harrels tuner for my RAW benchrest gun that I use for indoor shooting. This rifle has shot many 250 high X count scores but I thought I would give a tuner a try so I had one made to fit the RAW barrel and installed it as per the instructions. I tried every setting that was possible, each setting changing the POI but it made the rifle more like a shotgun than a rifle!! And believe me I tried them all more than once!! I finaly gave up and sold it to a Rimfire guy. I believe that it was just to heavy for the barrel and was causing MORE barrel whip than stopping the harmonics but I don't have any scientific equipment to prove it. Then I bought a tuner that was made for air rifles (3d printed that you add weights to) and put it on a Red Wolf that has a shroud really thinking that it might not work or do anything being mounted on the shroud but I was wrong, The rifle did react to the changes and It showed three settings (nodes) where the groups were pinpoint accurate but when I tried those settings again the groups were no better than any other setting so I gave up on that tuner also. I plan to buy one of the lighter ones for the RAW barrel soon and try it as I DO beleive there is something there to be had as far as accuracy but for now I can say it has been a big waste of time and money. I can see it wasn't for you!! Fantastic group for a $300. gun at 100 yards!! J.L.
I agree about the air guns are going to need lighter tuners than a rimfire and they need to be extended further past the end of the barrel than what's available at present with lighter weights that can be added or removed. I also believe that they will work better on a tensioned barrel rather than one being able to move around inside a shroud. With the pieces I machined and installed on the barrel inside the shroud, I have created sort of a tensioned barrel without encasing it in a carbon tube inside the shroud. I just bought this gun to sort of test the waters to see if it's something that I really want to get into, I don't have any illusions that adding a tuner etc. to a cheaper gun is going to compete with the top tier guns but it has shown me so far that these air rifles can benefit from harmonic tuning. I really think my air stripper has helped this rifle more than the tuner but in combination it is doing very well. I was hoping to try and get with a manufacturer to look at my air stripper design and refine it as I know it works well as is, but I machined it on all manual machines, and I know it could be made better with CNC machining. I plan to get a new FX Impact M3 Sniper very soon to further my testing with...:)

I agree about the air guns are going to need lighter tuners than a rimfire and they need to be extended further past the end of the barrel than what's available at present with lighter weights that can be added or removed. I also believe that they will work better on a tensioned barrel rather than one being able to move around inside a shroud. With the pieces I machined and installed on the barrel inside the shroud, I have created sort of a tensioned barrel without encasing it in a carbon tube inside the shroud. I just bought this gun to sort of test the waters to see if it's something that I really want to get into, I don't have any illusions that adding a tuner etc. to a cheaper gun is going to compete with the top tier guns but it has shown me so far that these air rifles can benefit from harmonic tuning. I really think my air stripper has helped this rifle more than the tuner but in combination it is doing very well. I was hoping to try and get with a manufacturer to look at my air stripper design and refine it as I know it works well as is, but I machined it on all manual machines, and I know it could be made better with CNC machining. I plan to get a new FX Impact M3 Sniper very soon to further my testing with...:)
Print it on a 3d printer.

Print it on a 3d printer.
Thanks......

Reactions: OldSpook