• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barrel spacers on super light barrels

This may be a dumb question but are the barrel spacers really needed after installing a carbon fiber tube on the liner? It would seem that with the liner stiffened up it would be better having the liner now floating than having to worry about the effects the shroud has or if you change moderators. I’m up for experimenting but hoping to save some time.
Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure how you add a CF liner to the SuperLight barrels, especially the longer ones. I tried and the whole thing seemed rather unsupported to me, plus I thought that my consistency went down. What i did find that worked was to simply use 1 of the spacers after (i.e. closer to the muzzle) the CF liner.

I did get some 3D printed spacers which fit over the CF liner, and that has worked very well. Here’s my report on it Below. The original thread was here… https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...sign-for-crown-mkii-cf-sleeve-spacer.1249356/

I received the 7-spoke design from Mike a few days ago and finally got out to try it on my FX Crown MK2 today. The Crown is a .30 with a 700mm barrel. I typically shoot FX 44.8 grain pellets out of this gun, and it has been typically very accurate. It had a Superior liner, but no CF liner tube (unlike my Impacts) primarily because I couldn’t figure out how to use it with the SuperLight barrel. Obviously the design above would deal with that problem.

Now, because it has always been a very accurate gun I wondered if I would see any material difference, especially at the 50 yard distance that I have in my yard and that I typically shoot from the bench. I shot a 5 shot group with it in the original state, then put on the CF liner and installed the spacers before replacing the shroud and shooting two more 5 shot groups.

Here’s a photo of the gun at my 25 yard range.

03B87D65-396C-43EB-848A-818CFFBFDE19.1652832578.jpeg

First of all, the installation was pretty painless. Everything worked just as it should. I did lube the o rings with some silicone oil before I put the shroud on, and I did have to hold it in place to ensure that the threads on the shroud didn’t push the spacers out of place, but that was the only complication, and that happens with the normal spacers anyway.

So, did I feel a difference? Absolutely not. The gun felt the same, just as I expected it would. Did it shoot any different? Well, hard to say for sure. You can judge for yourself from the groups I show below, but I can definitely say that it wasn’t worse, and may have been a little more consistent with the CF sleeve/spacer combo.

Here is the “Before” group.

0FA70CA5-6F64-450B-BC7B-6F42F72A3816.1652832643.jpeg

And here are the two “After” groups.

F6E4B1C1-FE0C-4182-BE01-42E959BED4D3.1652832741.png

21BDEC2E-2610-416B-8637-E59CB4ABEEC2.1652832743.jpeg

Note that I have my gun shooting above the POA so that i don’t blow my aiming point away, thereby making it difficult to shoot a good group. Also, I shoot multiple rifles at this target, so there are holes all over it.

The two groups with the CF/spacer combo are technically “better”, at least in terms of group size according to Ballistic-X. However it is obviously very close. Perhaps at 100 yards i would see more of a difference. What I can say is that i have no intention of removing them, since there is absolutely no downside and there may be some upside.

Chris

ReportEditDelete

Upvote0

Reactions: viperjoe