• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BAGA Field Target Match report for November in Bristol, Wisconsin(pic heavy)

First ever BAGA match in November!!!
Hello Everyone,
So we actually did it! We completed a field target match in Bristol, Wisconsin in November. It was a gorgeous day back in the woods with the temps starting out in the low 50’s
but warming up nicely to around 68-70 degrees. We had a little wind that was in the 3-7 mph range all day long but not enough to make some people mess up. We built an
abbreviated course just for this special day and ended up with 8 lanes with 2 targets per lane, with 3 shots per target for a 48 shot course. The overall Troyer for the course was just
over 37(pics of excel included below). 

We had 2 brand new BAGA shooters come out and compete today as well. Greg Watrobka from SMGC came out and had a great time with his HFT 500. Fred Joachim hooked up
with me via the GTA forum and has been messaging me for the better part of 2 months. Fortunately for us, this impromptu match correlated with some free time for Fred and he was
able to make it out for the match. Fred also brought his trusty RWS 34 (springer)and placed 3rd in our hunter PCP category! Great showing for his first FT Match ever!!!! Both Greg
and Fred were great additions to BAGA today! They are both welcomed back anytime they are able to join us.

Vlad Berchanskiy was close to cleaning the BAGA course all year long, but he fell short 1 or 2 shots every match. Well he finally did it! Vlad ended the day with 48/48 on the day
to take top honors. Phil Eakley in Hunter was just behind him with a 46/48 and Jim Guidici in Freestyle was just behind him with 45/48. I topped WFTF one shot behind Jim with
44/48 for 2nd place in Open just behind Vlad. Alex ended up with 43/48 for another awesome showing for him. Since the Nat’s Alex has come out of his shell and started shooting
like the Alex of old again! It is awesome to see him on the lanes again and shooting very well to BOOT(pun intended)! Since there were only 2 WFTF’ers (Don and I), we combined
ourselves into the Open category for placement. 

This match also marks the very first time we have had anyone shoot in any sort of “freestyle” discipline. With all the talks regarding rules and Open class, we have a couple of
shooters that would like to test the waters and see what they think. Both of them loved it and their scores show why! Jim Guidici shot 45/48 today! That is his best showing this
year by far and he is very happy about his performance. I doubt he will ever go back to 12x now, so we will see how this whole thing pans out. Don Walker also dipped his toes into
the freestyle division with a 40/48 for his best score of the year as well. I see a common theme here, GREAT shooting guys!!!!

I was shooting with Bill Zinaveah today and had such a dang good time with him out there. Bill is 79 and just acts like a little kid when he knocks down these little metal critters! He
is shooting a 12 fpe RAW and using his scope set at 12x and ended up with 37/48 for an awesome end to the 2016 season!!! Remember this info when you read his scores in my
special events!!!!

That being said, I developed 2 brand new games for the end of this BAGA match that did not count for the match scores as I funded a prize fund for the winners. I now have a
“Cobra Challenge” as well as a “Mousie Challenge”. I know, pretty genius naming convention as you will see. :) 

The Cobra Challenge was the BAGA Cobra with a 3/8” hitzone set out at 40 yards. I painted the whole target bright white to allow everyone a good view on the hitzone. After a few
people went, I repainted the targets to keep them fresh for all. This target was shot from the free position so WFTF and Open shot seated on bum bags and Hunters shot off their
bucket and sticks. We had all 10 people compete in the Cobra Challenge with 7 people hitting at least 1 shot! Only 3 of us blanked that target completely and I was one of the
ZEROs on that bugger! We had a 3 way tie for 1st place in this event as I was not going to do any shoot offs. Bill Zinaveah, Jim Guidici, and Vlad Berchanskiy all hit this 40 yard,
3/8” kz 3 times each!!!!!!!! Yes, 3/5 for each of them!!!!! AMAZING!!!!! Remember Bill is also using 12 fpe and 12 x scope for this whole thing!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!

JUST AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Now onto the Mousie Challenge. The Mousie Challenge was our BAGA Mousie target with 3/8” hitzone painted white like the Cobra, but placed at 20 yards and shot offhand. Like
the Cobra Challenge, the Mousie Challenge also had 5 shots for each competitor. Greg Watrobka from SMGC Pneumatics ended up top of the heap in this event. Greg was able to
knock down the mousie 3/5 times offhand from 20 yards!!!!! What an awesome showing f or Greg!!!! Both Vlad and Boomer ended up with 2/5 on the mousie and Jim G, Alex, Phil, and Bill Z all had 1/5 for some pretty impressive shooting!!!

So the idea was to pay $10 to each winner in the Cobra Challenge and Mousie Challenge, but with 3 winners in the Cobra Challenge, I upped the anti to allow all 3 of them to take
home $5 each. The Mousie Challenge did pay $10 as promised so Greg took home the winning hand.

After the match was done, Alex cooked us some burgers and jumbo dogs and everyone had some great lunch and laughed about the fun we had at BAGA all dang day long!!!

Total 48 shots for FT match… Cobra and Mousie scores are not included here.

Open

Vlad Berchanskiy…Anschutz ZM2002…BSA 10-50…CPH…48/48
Boomer…Steyr LG110BV(WFTF)…Sightron 10-50…JSB 8.4…44/48
Alex Modic…Steyr LG100ZM…BSA 10-50…JSB 10.3…43/48
Don Carkhuff…Steyr LG110(WFTF)…Schmidt & Bender 50x…JSB 7.87…37/48

Hunter

Phil Eakley…TM1000…Optisan…JSB 10.3…46/48
Bill Zinaveah…RAW BM500 12fpe…Optisan…AA 8.4…37/48
Fred Joachim…RWS 34 (springer)…WTG 3-12x…AA 8.4…32/48(first match ever)
Greg Watrobka…AA HFT 500…Optisan Viper 3-12x…AA 10.3…27/48

Freestyle

Jim Guidici…RAW TM1000…BSA 10-50…AA 10.3…45/48
Don Walker…LG110 high power…Hawke 10-50…JSB 10.3…40/48

Here are some pics of the day along with the scoreboard:

here is a pic of me shooting at the squirrel that we have way up in the tree. I usually use my knee riser for this shot but decided to practice an alternate method. this was pretty tough to hold steady but made it more fun.

here is a pic of the squirrel I am shooting at:

The Cobra Challenge award certificate

The Mousie Challenge award certificate

the 3 winners of the Cobra Challenge

Our new BAGA Spokesmodel. This is Bill Z's daughter.

Here is a link to the rest of the pics of the day:
http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/PneuSniper/library/2016%20BAGA%20Matches/November%20%202016%20FT%20match?sort=2&page=1

Hope you enjoy!

Boomer

Excellent write up and report Boomer. Not easy organizing an event, taking photos, keep track of everything, setting up ta course, then shoot a 45 out of 48. Awesome shooting!

Crazy uncle Phil keeps improving and should be one of the top HFT shooters 2017. Vlad cleaning the course is impressive and no easy task. Jim and I spoke about freestyle/open class at the nationals, tell him I said hello and good shooting. Lets hope Freestyle becomes a class in 2017 it will keep some of the older shooters around and help the sport grow. See you BAGA shooters in 2017. 

Thanks Sam! It truly has to be a passion to be a Match Director or even volunteer to help a MD with any sort of a match. I had a ton of fun all season long and this weekend was not an exception, it was awesome!

Phil(C.U.P) is an awesome person to be around. His energy is just so positive that you can hardly hold that back. He is like a little bear cub, always messing around with something cuz he is never happy with "good enough".

Hopefully we will see something regarding the "freestyle" division and hopefully it does exactly what you said, just allows more people to participate and increase their FUN level. After all, none of us are paid to do this and none of us are winning cars for 1st place. I do understand some matches(PAC) has a nice prize for 1st place, but that is few and far between.

Anyways, thanks for reading and replying! Looking forward to seeing you at one of the big matches in 2017!

Thanks,
Boomer