• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Avenger barrel crowning

I,m no expert on guns but I read all I can. All my life I have read rifles shoot better with a crowned barrel. As we know Avenger barrels come uncrowned. Mine shoots

as good or better than any air rifle I own. But I have to tell myself do not fix something that's not broken. But the question is will it shoot even better if 

I crowned the barrel? Are there any of you that have crowned yours & if so did it help, hurt or indifferance? 🤔 

Fly 😀

It made no difference with mine (.22 cal) that I could detect.

The facing cut at the muzzle looked like it was followed up with a random orbital sander. There was no apparent bevel to deburr the ends of the rifling, but pushing a couple of pellets through revealed no sign of a burr so it looks to me like the sanding operation is how the factory approaches it.

I went ahead and applied a bevel with the brass screw approach to be on the safe side but as I said, it made no meaningful difference with its accuracy.

I will add the bore was one of the roughest I’ve ever encountered so I smoothed it a bit with J-B and it doesn’t require cleaning nearly as much now.

Also most the time giving a new crown using a brass screw either increases accuracy or keeps it the same but occasionally it hurts accuracy. Usually it's because you didn't do it right. I messed up on my first barrel. I didn't rotate the screw position enough and it turned out miss shaped. If your gun is shooting well I wouldn't mess with it. My suggestion is to get a crosman barrel and practice first if you really want to do it but it's probably not necessary. 

Reactions: mtnGhost
A crown is just the intersection of bore to the face of end of a barrel, it doesn’t really matter what shape it is as long as it’s uniform. The good old saying is don’t fix what isn’t broken. 

I would also recommend to polish the barrel just to reduce the need for frequent cleaning. These guns with a good tune shoot shocking well for the 299-449 price. 

Reactions: MongooseV8
I did Crown jobs on most of my cheap guns that had horrible grouping, It did wonders on those guns, mostly the Hatsans and the Mrods, now they are as Accurate as my HW100's, if the gun shoots accurately then don't mess with it, but if it shoots badly, doing a crown job won't hurt and in many cases will fix the issue,

But make sure it is the gun and not the shooter before doing any modifications.... ;)

and try several different pellets brands and pellets to make sure it is not the pellet. ;)

A crown is just the intersection of bore to the face of end of a barrel, it doesn’t really matter what shape it is as long as it’s uniform. The good old saying is don’t fix what isn’t broken.

I would also recommend to polish the barrel just to reduce the need for frequent cleaning. These guns with a good tune shoot shocking well for the 299-449 price.
qball nailed it. Dont confuse a 90* muzzle for no crown, as crown is just the name of a transition. If you get a barrel that isnt shooting well, a re-crown to a more traditional 11* might clean up the muzzle and improve your groups. But that seems to be a rarity with the Avengers. Shoot it first and prepare to be amazed.

My Avenger in 22 Cal, bought from PA late 2022 has a 90* muzzle with a relief bevel cut into the bore and the outside of the barrel diameter. So imo the newer Avengers wont benefit from the brass screw polish unless it wasnt machined correctly to begin with. And in reality you have a good chance of ruining a crown with the brass screw if not done straight. I have a Manson crowning tool that I use to cut barrels and re-crown that works amazing but its kinda pricey.

Reactions: qball
For the first timer, I don’t recommend recrowning a known good barrel. There’s a lot less hand-wringing if you can instead take a barrel with an obviously bad crown like this one:
85A492FE-7DD5-4C7D-8DA7-3A96F5D6F9EF.jpeg

And turn it into something more like this one:
6D2A1DAE-1615-4A1E-B53F-033F312F50C5.jpeg

That will help build the confidence to take on barrels which fall into a gray area.

Reactions: MongooseV8