• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

athlon 6 by 24 by 50

I have the Athlon Argos 6x24 and 8x32. I like them so much I'm changing all of my airgun scopes over to the 6x24 except for my Boss that has the 8x32. I'm not buying any more scopes unless they are FFP and I want all the same reticle. I really like the Argos reticle. Shouldn't be to long and I'll have some Hawk, Vortex and FX scopes for sale.I think you will like them. Lot of scope for the price.

Very nice scopes. I had one and sold it not because I didn't like it but I sold another gun and had an extra scope and love my fixed power SWFAs so it had to go. Everything worked nicely and excellent glass just not for me. Not a small scope by any means but for a bench rest or FT shooter seems they'd be hard to beat. I hunt though so the less things to complicate the better :)

I haven't been able to use my Athlon on a gun as it's awaiting The Priest or possibly Mutant .25 but what I can say is that I have been through 2 sunshades from Athlon that both had finish blemishes. The anodizing isn't the best quality, especially on the first one, and the threads on both units is very rough. They will serve their purpose but I'd like to see better quality for the price of the shades. I got a Weaver Super Slam shade on sale for the same price back in the day and they are flawless.

"Bizill"I haven't been able to use my Athlon on a gun as it's awaiting The Priest or possibly Mutant .25 but what I can say is that I have been through 2 sunshades from Athlon that both had finish blemishes. The anodizing isn't the best quality, especially on the first one, and the threads on both units is very rough. They will serve their purpose but I'd like to see better quality for the price of the shades. I got a Weaver Super Slam shade on sale for the same price back in the day and they are flawless.
My shade looked fine. I am using the 34X though.

I was not able to buy a shade for mine (European store)

I just received yesterday my Argos and have now zeroed it. Having accustomed to Mil/Moa, I held my scope picture against a wall to make a changes to turrets and saw 1mil for needed correction.

I turned the turret until it was 1mil up and realized I had just turned it (obviously) 10 clicks! This is so easy!!

My comparison with the Argon 6-24 is against Hawke SW 8-32, Argos has a lot better feeling to the turrets, and unlike Hawke they do not have to be operated to be able to turn them.
-A lot easier to use them straight behind the scope!

Very clear picture. I have mostly shot in almost complete darkness or using my cellphone flashlight, but I did test the scope before mounting for good clarity etc.

Hawke had good glass too, but Athlon is better. Unfortunally I was not able to do side by side comparison as I already sold the Hawke.

I might buy the Argos 8-32 later on.

Hey, funny how everyone's opinions on optics vary so much. My darling wife gave me the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24X50 for Christmas after I gave her the specifics. I was super pumped to get it mounted and tried out after reading so many favorable reviews. This was my first FFP so that was quite the experience in itself.
My current line up of scopes is a SWFA 16X on my Regal XL, Hawke SW's tacs 6-20X42 on my FX400, FX500 and Vulcan Tactic. Recently had a Bushnell Ultra HD 4-14 MD which was a super clear light weight scope.

Things I liked about it...
Side focus was very smooth to operate, not too hard and not too easy to turn.
Zoom was the same..
Finish was flawless

Things I wasn't crazy about...
The reticle was a little thicker than I prefer, zoom it out in power and of course it gets wider yet.
The half mil lines with numbers on the full mil line on the horizontal cross hair stuck up a little higher than needed which kind of gives the sight picture a congested look.
To me, extra effort was required to find the perfect focus position.
Clarity at 100yds was fair, looking at news paper print at that yardage.

It wasn't what I'd hope for or expected so I sent it back to Optics Planet for a full refund. My intent is not to discourage anyone from getting this scope and trying it out but it just wasn't for me. On the plus side I do have a good down payment for something else down the road. Maybe a Leupold or Sightron, who knows?
JMHO
Jimmy

"jking"Hey, funny how everyone's opinions on optics vary so much. My darling wife gave me the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24X50 for Christmas after I gave her the specifics. I was super pumped to get it mounted and tried out after reading so many favorable reviews. This was my first FFP so that was quite the experience in itself.
My current line up of scopes is a SWFA 16X on my Regal XL, Hawke SW's tacs 6-20X42 on my FX400, FX500 and Vulcan Tactic. Recently had a Bushnell Ultra HD 4-14 MD which was a super clear light weight scope.

Things I liked about it...
Side focus was very smooth to operate, not too hard and not too easy to turn.
Zoom was the same..
Finish was flawless

Things I wasn't crazy about...
The reticle was a little thicker than I prefer, zoom it out in power and of course it gets wider yet.
The half mil lines with numbers on the full mil line on the horizontal cross hair stuck up a little higher than needed which kind of gives the sight picture a congested look.
To me, extra effort was required to find the perfect focus position.
Clarity at 100yds was fair, looking at news paper print at that yardage.

It wasn't what I'd hope for or expected so I sent it back to Optics Planet for a full refund. My intent is not to discourage anyone from getting this scope and trying it out but it just wasn't for me. On the plus side I do have a good down payment for something else down the road. Maybe a Leupold or Sightron, who knows?
JMHO
Jimmy

Our eyes work comparatively. If you've just been in a dark room, things look extra bright when you come out. If you have been looking through a bad scope, an average one looks super clear.... until you look through a better one....

If you want to stay happy with a scope, never look through through a high end one. Not even for a second. Your dream scope will be like a jam jar when you return.

Plus, there seems to be a good amount of variation between the quality of units. I've looked through two supposedly identical scopes and had two very different experiences - just like with air rifles. 

I should have clarified the scope I'm looking for will be going on my FX500 as my 80-100yd gun. So I'm looking for something very clear, with a precise reticle for all the help I can get. The reticles on the Hawkes are hard to beat but with the preference for more power I'm also looking for more clarity.

I think your right Zebra, even the three same model Hawkes I have, have slightly different characteristics about them.
jimmy