• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ataman .357 am I the only one

Recently I purchased an ATAMAN .357 M2(R) type 2 tactical carbine olive. I absolutely love it thanks for the video Steve from AEAC in my opinion this thing is amazing but I have yet to find anyone else or see any video reviews or even comments about it anywhere so I am curious to know whether anybody here has purchased one and or knows someone who purchased one and if they or you like it and what would be your pros and cons and what ammunition did you find works best in yours. Pros for mine is it works flawlessly love the stock and the trigger adjustable butt pad and cheek piece not to mention super accurate I could go on and on. cons are the false screws in the stock pressure gauge at the business end of the gun as far as ammo goes it loves the jsb 81 grn and predator polymag also likes 125 grn round nose and Hollow point hates 145 grain Benjamin Nosler ballistic tip

From the review at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIaHhXDlwyI it appears to be quite a nice big bore. 
​It is likely you will be fairly lonely due to a couple of factors. First is the 300 bar (roughly 4350 PSI) fill pressure, this is above most people's sweet spot for fill pressure. A lot of people are okay with 3000ish PSI fills, but much beyond that becomes tough for them. And of course, cost. At a bit over $1800, a large segment of purchasers are beyond what they wish to pay for an air rifle. In the video linked above, he seemed to get great accuracy at 50 and 100 yards; it is definitely a shooter. The video was very informative, as it showed about 10 consistent shots per fill, where the vendor's site listed 45 shots per fill (quite a disconnect). All I can say is, Bambi and Mr. Oinkoink better lay low in your neck of the woods; you are set now!

Thank you addertooth that's the video I watched before the gun was even on the Shelf and it was the determining factor in me buying the gun I was super impressed Steve does a really good job but my recent search turned up nothing and i just thought by now there would at least be one or more reviews on it video or otherwise I knew there had to be a reason why and the factors that you mention I would have never thought of however I'm only six months into the air gun / PCP world my first was the Benjamin bulldog and that was enough to suck me in and I am loving every minute of it

Thank you AEAC couldn't be happier with both of my rifles. I got lucky and my Bulldog loves the Predator polymag also I hope that they make a predator polymag short .357 so they will fit my magazines when hunting I feel more confident knowing I have a quick backup shot if I need it. If not that's okay I'm going to practice single shot loading because I am a newbie I'm afraid that after the first shot my adrenaline will be flowing and I will fumble putting the second round in single shot Style

Hi Skinnymitch,
I've just received my ATAMAN .357 M2R type 2 tactical carbine olive green as well. I imported it from the States to get the sidelever! They are extremely expensive here and only available with a rear bolt. I received it 2 days ago and the weather here in Belgium is awful! So, I didn't have much time to play around with it. I have also been convinced by Steve's video!
I could find a few hours without rain and took the opportunity to shoot a tin of JSB's. Well, I really like the gun, it's consistency (the regulator works flawlessly), the smooth sidelever, the soft touch of the stock, the magazine and the big pellets! I think I'll have to get used to the trigger, which is pretty light and sometimes takes me by surprise ;-)
After my first shot, I was shocked by its noise! It's my first "big bore" (my biggest so far was an FX Boss in .30 cal which is very silent!). So, I added the Ataman silencer, which makes things a little better, but still not enough for my taste (or rather for my neighbours!). Any suggestion on how to make this gun more silent ?
Then, as far as accuracy is concerned, I still don't know if I need more practice to get used to the gun (it's my first .35cal!), or if one pellet really goes crazy from time to time.
Here is the example: I was aiming a golf ball at 100 yards (hit it 10 times out of 10 with a crown in .25) and then with the Ataman, out of 10 shots, I hit the ball 3 times, landed within 0.5cm 4 times and got 3 shots 2 inches away. These 3 shots concern me a little bit. It might come from me (though I didn't notice anything wrong in the process: it might be that I hold the gun too firmly, or not enough...), or, from the sound suppressor, or the gun itself that might need some more pellets to settle.
I need to do some tests without the silencer... and practise a lot more...
But all in all I'm really happy with my purchase!

that is fantastic you got one Nathaniel as far as the trigger goes yes it throws you off at first haven't been brave enough to try to adjust it but I've got use to it and have been able to take up the creep which isnt much with a light squeeze now that ive developed muscle memory .and yes it's a lot louder than I expected to as far as a solution to making it quieter I have not done any research as far as sound quieting it technology but I do know there's companies out there that make once that work now about accuracy I've had excellence results with the jsb 81 grain and the predator polymag I definitely would do some more testing without the suppressor those three shots that you're worried about could have been Flyers the pellets might have had a Nick or a bent skirt but the gun is hold sensitive you have to practice but I followed Steve's directions when getting used to the gun it took me awhile to get used to it but man once I did it was on fire I love this rifle also you didn't mention if you were shooting off bags or a rest if you're using a rest that has the ability to lock down the gun do not do that it will mess it all up eliminate most of the human factor I used a LED sled to dial in my gun and get used to the trigger with excellent results I found it best when putting the gun in the rest or LED sled whatever you want to call it to not put the butt end of the gun all the way up against the stop of the rest some are cushions some aren't regardless try to keep a little bit of space in between the butt and the rear pad of the rest this is what I found work best for me when free-standing I lightly shoulder the gun and I open Palm the forearm so at 50 yards rested with the jsb 81 grain I'm just under a half inch the Predator polymag did just a little bit better. at a hundred yards I got one and a half inch groups with jsb, and one inche groups with predator polymags one last thing if you haven't already clean your Barrel very well once its seasond after a couple hundred rounds your groups will tighten up actually link shooting with the crown by the way I don't think I could do 10 out of 10 LOL well maybe with an fx hope this helps now I have a question for you where did you get your suppressor for the ataman how much 

Interesting rig. I've never cared for "tacticool", black rifles - okay Benjamin Maximus IS black but-, bullpups' just not my personal thing. Prefer a rilfe look, the old AA410 with 16mm shroud & nice walnut suited my tastes.
I saw this Steyr years ago
f4fcbe6b8d3f92e9d3ae6254a6051d30.jpg
and kind of like it for some reason.

That ataman in Green with a bolt action does have some odd appeal to me.
The pdf for the trigger looks like it may well be a very nice design indeed - haven't seen the machining QC so I wouldn't really know but the design seems good-. Watched a video on one of the models and using the JSB red tip pellets ( huge ) the 100 yard groups were decent indeed. It was mentioned easier to shoot than some other;s in the same cal. and less movement maybe.. My thinking would be the very high fill allows a rather sharp short snap of air , maybe less striker travel, no bounce?

Love to hear updates down the road.

John

Hi,
Thanks for the answers!
As I mentioned, I didn't really have the possibility to experiment a lot with that awful weather here in Belgium this month! Hope I will get a few better days soon and I'll be able to play around a little bit and make some serious testing.
In the meantime I decided to sacrifice my original "Ataman silencer" for the sake of research :) I drilled holes in it, surrounded it with different materials and a piece of exhaust pipe. The first prototype was already better than the original as far as noise level is cocnerned but I still needed to consolidate the whole thing to be able to use it effectively. I'm busy with that right now. When I'm done with my research, I'll try to get a final version done in aluminium and hopefully, i'll be able to do longer shooting sessions at home without fear of bothering the neighbours.
I'm actually shooting from a bag and I only had the opportunity to test the jsb's. The predators are not easily available here. I'll have to order some!
My silencer comes from a dutch shop: https://www.krale-schietsport.nl/nl/geluiddemper-ataman-m2-7-62mm-9mm.html#all_specifications and cost me 105€.
Your groups at 50 and 100 yards just seem perfetct! I hope I'll get that kind of results with mine :)

You are not alone...I recently purchased the same rifle and I am extremely happy with it! The weather here in Michigan at the moment isn't the greatest for shooting, the gun only has about 300 rounds through it. But, I have managed to shoot 5 different pellets/slugs through it with varying results. The JSB and Polymags work very well 1/2" at 50 yds. The H&N Grizzley 82g are all over the place. The Air Venturi 95g PHP load very hard and don't group well at all, 3" to 4" at 50 yds. I ordered some Nielsen Specialty Ammo 75g HP in two different sizes, .355 and .357. They grouped very well, 1/2" to 3/4" at 50 yds. with the occasional flier. I've only shot about 15 of each size, so I don't see any major difference in the two yet. 
I installed a piece of rail to the fore end so I could attach a bipod. I have messed with the trigger to get it to break sooner. I also have a LDC coming from BwaltonPCP, supposed to be here tomorrow. I am looking forward to see what it will do at longer ranges.....can't wait for Spring ;-)

Rick

Hello Nathaniel,
I did receive the Bwalton LDC last week. It has been bitter cold here in Michigan, -18F at night and only in the single digits during the day. In spite of the temps I did do a little shooting this past weekend. I do not have a db meter so I can't give you any numbers. But, the noise reduction is AMAZING!! A HUGE difference from shooting the Ataman without it attached.
I am kinda bummed that it cannot be taken apart and it is wrapped with a carbon fiber "sticker"....the body is not a carbon fiber tube.
I shouldn't complain too much, it was only $100.00 and it is extremely effective in the noise reduction department. I may look into a DonnyFL at a later time. Although, right now all he has for a big bore is the Emperor....at 11" long (Bwalton LDC is only 6") that is a lot hanging off the end of the barrel of a full size rifle...IMO. Maybe he can modify one of his smaller models to fit the Ataman .357???

Rick

Thanks for your feedback!
The original Ataman was also 6" long, which is pretty handy indeed. It worked well but I still didn't find it effective enough, though!
That's why I decided to "tune it" and turn it into a much bigger one. My latest version is 2" wide and 7.2" long. I might go up to 8" for my next version but 11" is really big indeed!
Nice to read that your Bwalton is really effective and rather cheap!

One more question: Do you have a male thread on your moderator (like on the original moderator)? If yes, do you have any idea of its size? I used and transformed the original but have no idea how to measure the thread properly to have a new one done for me.
Or could you remove the end cap on the barrel to attach your silencer? In this case, you have a silencer with a female thread. Is it a standard size? The end cap doesn't seem to move on mine.... But I think I saw a picture of it in the AEAC video.

If anyone can give me more details on this, it would be highly appreciated....

Thanks!