• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Armada, An HONEST REVIEW! The new improved barrel from Crosman!

I just returned from the Crosman All American field target match. It’s an AAFTA Grand Prix in Rochester NY. While there, the Crosman corporation brings guns, pellets, scopes, crossbows, targets, and other air gun goodies to sell at approx. 47.5% off the retail!

I bought a Challenger last year and beefed it to 12 FPE. I then and made a field target stock for it. That gun is as accurate as my Steyr competition gun. In fact, I bought it to be a back up to the Steyr.

While there this year, my shooting partner and I spoke to Nick Hargather. He is the Manufacturing Application Engineer for Crosman…. He has designed a new barrel to replace the choked barrels on their higher end guns, like the Armada, Marauder, and even the Maximus. He is working on the .177 for the Maximus after he finishes the .25 barrel….Very approachable guy.

They only had one Armada there at the event and I decided the second day of the match to get it. I was curious about the barreling. Nick assured me it had the new barrel on it.
ca088442267b57ca52139b1e302da637.jpg
14804c0962987f292439a536bff293ba.jpg

Now for my review so far…
This is going to be a ongoing review like my honest review of the Kral Breaker Silent on this forum. That one took wings and is still going.
Let me preface this post by saying I am going to give you the “GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY”… IF I find any. I am not making any recommendations, offering any advice, or telling any stories..!! I am just telling you what I find and what I do to make it better,,, FOR ME!

THE GOOD
First, I will tell you that I am not a big fan of the AR platform for an air rifle. Why? Don’t really know.
In powder burners, it is fine. Used one while in the Marines in the 70’s. I guess is seems to me like someone wanting to play Army with a look-alike pellet gun.…Am I crazy? Possibly… (But as Sheldon on Big Bang Theory says, my mother had me tested)!
Well this rifle has changed my attitude for sure.
The Armada, which I thought sported a plastic forearm, surprised me when it turned out to be Aluminum. There is some plastic on the lower end and stock but that is like the powder burners. In fact, it is advertised to have firearm Mil Spec compatibility. It has MAGPUL M-LOK slots and 15” of Picatinny rail space. The sides and additional accessory rails are plastic but with M-LOK mounts.

The front has a bipod mount for one’s designed to lock in like a Harris. Here is where the additional small accessary rail comes in. Mount it behind and you can put your Atlas bipod or clone on.
e888a1b5f9e49ac68f92f68fb29135fe.jpg

The trigger, Magazine, and bolt are right off the Benjamin Marauder. The gauge too. The butt stock is typical squeeze -to-adjust design found on most AR platform guns.
One thing I really like ,is the fact that on the side of the breech, it states a fill max of 3000 PSI..but also correctly states in parentheses, (207 BAR)
So that is the Gun description.

Now for the performance right out of the box before any modding, or as I like to coin, “Tinkering”
I also bought a Center Point 4-16x40 illuminated AO scope at the CAA. It was the largest they had. I don’t do AO scopes usually, but the price was so good from $119 retail, to $48 at the event for the competitors. I could not refuse.
I put the scope on the rail and leveled it. Then shot 2 pellets to see where it hit. The first was rightt and down. Using the, hold on target and dial to the pellet hole method, I fired another. Practically dead center at 20 yards!
OK then…It was time to check the power level. After firing it over the Pro Chrony, I found it a little low. It was at 27 FPE…. I removed the stock and adjusted the port screw all the way out and tightened the striker spring tension. Then it was then a little under 30 FPE. I found my FX 400 liked it at 32 FPE for best accuracy, so I put the Armada back together.
I shot at 30 yards, and the increase in power put the pellet right at the center of a ¾” dot!
The increase actually moved the zero to be perfect. Cool, saves pellets...LOL
I added 4 more for a 5 shot group that measured 3.9 mm CTC…. Not too bad. I will test later to 50, 75, and 100 yards when the wind is down on my range.

48d3db8eceadb8563d2205cc7359da6c.jpg

Off course I had to get into the rifle now and make some changes. I first removed the shroud to look at the barrel and found it looking like a Marauder. No surprises. Spring, baffles, nose piece, etc. Next, I removed the plastic side pcs as they looked cheap and felt that way. After that I moved the bottom plate back to just fit over the trigger guard. It made the plate look like it belonged there, molding itself to the guards shape. I did this so I could get the accessory rail as far back as possible from the front for an Atlas clone bipod. I may move it forward later after some fidgeting.

Most important on any of my rifles is the trigger! I like my competition guns triggers at around 2.0 oz. The Steyr was lighter than that, but it was tricky. Now I don’t expect to shoot comps with this gun but I still like a light trigger. So, I removed the lawyer spring from the trigger group and put the cover back. I would polish the sear and mating parts for a smoother release, but for now I wanted to see how well it will adjust with just the spring out. It’s pretty good. There’s some creep on the first stage but a crisp break. Looks like I will need to polish the mating parts…

THE BAD
Actually, only one thing for now. When I went to adjust the stock, I noticed the locking nut on the adjuster was almost off. After trying to tighten the grub screw on the adjusting nut, I found it was stripped! On closer inspection, I found the threaded hole was out of round! More oblong than round. I will fix it but I thought I would point it out. 
7d79bdd6dddc998abaecdfecc2f89ec9.jpg

THE UGLY
Ok here I have a few words. The gun overall is good looking. A tad long if using a pop up blind to hunt.
The plastic side plates are not attractive and not necessary, since there is no heat build up being a pellet rifle. So, they had to go.
The one on the bottom serves a purpose for hand placement.
6e295e9ff944b7709f03a2688e7c3038.jpg

The 2 supplied accessory rails are made of plastic. I would prefer aluminum but I know they are more expensive and add cost.. They will function until overtightened or other damage.
That stupid looking cocking bolt cover! (Just my humble opinion)
I know it helps keep your finger joint from getting raw, but really? Retool the machine and make it a nice round or fat ergonomic handle please. It looks like you stuck the plastic protective cap off a metal rod end. 
bd6c1189ab8edca7f058929ebd2bf89d.jpg
4180caeb99e27d4dd7bd35ab4b834b41.jpg

The shroud is a slight bit off to the side and was noted by another forum member in his post. It is just cosmetic and I did not notice it until ii found his post. Just sits off in the forearm frame. Does not touch or affect anything. No biggie.
c00d12d13404143e747206cc9399400a.jpg
Just slightly toward the right....

Well, That’s it for now…. I need to do a full chrony test More for my interest is the barrel’s performance after it “Seasons In”. If it is placing pellets like that at 30 yards, with less then 25 pellets through it… Will be interesting.
I will also try lubed and un-lubed pellets. My Steyr prefers lubed, but the Challenger, and 1720T pistol likes un-lubed. My HW97 likes dry pellets also.

Good start to your review.

I have the .25, it is an accurate gun.

I too found the moveable stock flimsy, your grub screw issue.

I changed it to a Magpul stock, about 40 dollars, nicer, sturdy, still a little movement/play.

Mine is only shooting an average of 740 fps with 25 jsb's, i haven't tried to adjust anything because it is very accurate out to 50 yards.

Maybe i can get the step by step procedure from you to remove the stock/for arm so i can get at the adjustments

Jic Very easy to remove the framework. First in the front of the airtube with the gun upside down. There is a 5/64" allen screw. You loosen it (Don't need to remove it)

Then remove the 4 allen screws (two on each side) of the forearm where it connects to the breech housing. Then just pull the forearm toward the front of the muzzle. It will come off with the interior mount that the 4 screws were tied into. Then simply remove the 5/32" allen screw in the bottom of the breech housing/stock . The barrel, air tube and the trigger group will come out of the stock as you lift.

Now adjustments... I don't remember but I think it is a 5/64' allen wrench that you will need to adjust the metering screw. On the bottom of the air tube you will see a gold colored allen screw recessed into the tube. You will need to remove that gold screw.

under it, you will find the metering screw that is black. If you turn it all the way in clockwise it will bottom out. don't force it! Just take it until you feel resistance. Then back it out about 4 and 3/4 turns. The instructions say 4,5 but this is why. 

Take the gold screw and put it back in. JUST UNTIL YOU FEEL IT TOUCH THE METERING SCREW!. I say this as I have noticed that th gold screw will pick up the metering screw and close the opening by trying to get the gold jam nut tight to the metering one. The reason to go 4 3/4 turns out is that when you touch the mettering screw with the gold jam nut, The mettering screw may move a little, This procedure should have the meter fully open.

Next in the back of the valve body/ air tube you will need a 1/4" allen to adjust the striker/hammer spring tension. Put the allen in until it stops. Then turn it clockwise to tension up the spring. It will only go so far then it will click or you feel a bump/skip. Turning more won't tension it any more. It is at the max. 

adjusting the hammer spring should be done judiciously, with a chronograph to see your pellet speed as you go along. You will need to figure out the speed that you want to have the FPE at, per the pellet you are using. I have a Kral breaker .25 that I have set at just under 50 FPE and it makes one hole at 75 yards with 5 pellets and opens to .5" to 1" at 100 yards with no wind. I found the Air Arms 25.4 Field Diablo's to be the most accurate in the Kral. 

To put the body back together just reverse the above movements... Hope it helps...

Reactions: jlc
Ji

Here is a photo of some shots I took with my .25 Kral when breaking in the new Green Mountain barrel. Also before taking it to 48.7 FPE
The speed and FPE shown on the target might give you a starting point!
There was a bit of wind that morning and either i or the wind threw pellets off at 50 yards. The 75 yard made up for it....lol
l
f62d7283fa9805ee49bb225259b388fa.jpg
e876cdf5d0991a8ec5e137db65395a49.jpg