• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone shooting .30 cal Impacts anymore?

I would like to be shooting my .30 cal Impact but I am still waiting after near four months for it to arrive. Expect it will be a .25 cal shortly after I get it though cuz I only have 300 .30 pellets and another 400 on the way but I have 14K in .25 pellets and another 5K+ in slugs saved up for it. So, I am waiting impatiently these days.

I went with the .30 M3 because I wanted a sure bet 100 yard (ideally more) shooter. The .30 is known to be great with pellets at long distances, so if I can't get slugs to work well, I will still be good. Also, the role this gun fills for me is a 'more power is better/no downside to power'. So far, 1MOA with pellets @100y in light winds has been pretty easy to attain with minimal tuning. Slugs are still TBD, just waiting on NSA to get back up and running.

I think someone in another thread here said something like: "If you can only have two guns - .30 and .22. If you can only have one gun - .25". I can see that. Already wanting a .22 impact to complement the .30 and set up for pellets in a lower power role.

Edit: One more reason - You can still get a tried and true slow twist pellet barrel for the .30, but you can't for the .25. I couldn't find enough feedback about the superior standard barrel with 25 JSB heavies at 100yards to make me comfortable. Ted posted a VERY brief test of different .25 superior barrels and the heavies were not a slam dunk in the superior standard.

I went with the .30 M3 because I wanted a sure bet 100 yard (ideally more) shooter. The .30 is known to be great with pellets at long distances, so if I can't get slugs to work well, I will still be good. Also, the role this gun fills for me is a 'more power is better/no downside to power'. So far, 1MOA with pellets @100y in light winds has been pretty easy to attain with minimal tuning. Slugs are still TBD, just waiting on NSA to get back up and running.

I think someone in another thread here said something like: "If you can only have two guns - .30 and .22. If you can only have one gun - .25". I can see that. Already wanting a .22 impact to complement the .30 and set up for pellets in a lower power role.

Edit: One more reason - You can still get a tried and true slow twist pellet barrel for the .30, but you can't for the .25. I couldn't find enough feedback about the superior standard barrel with 25 JSB heavies at 100yards to make me comfortable. Ted posted a VERY brief test of different .25 superior barrels and the heavies were not a slam dunk in the superior standard.

That has pretty much been my story. My hunting limit on grey squirrels on the ground is 85 yards, or at least my limit in an open area where I hunt. I have no trouble popping them in the head at that range using the JSB 44.75gr with the Titan scope maxed out. I dispatched 15 between 82 and 85 yards back during the season. 13 were headshots and two were top of the neck shots.

I save my .30 JSBs for hunting and cast my own pellets for plinking and playing. I use the STX liner. I do have a slug A liner, but it does not do as well compared to the STX. I plan to get a Superior heavy liner when I get around to it and try the NSA heavies around 54gr (IIRC) when they settle back down from the move. I have read that combo is good and would like to try some slugs in .30 to see if I can get slugs to shoot straight. I have not shot any .30 cal slugs yet.

I also cast pellets and slugs for the .25 Superior liner. They do well out to 70 yards (my backyard limit) so far in my testing, but the slug groups are not as tight as the MKIIs. Still working on my casting of those. I can hit dried up tangerines at 70 yards with the cast slugs, so they are not too bad. I have a .25 and a .22 Marauder for the light work and a .357 Slayer for the heavier work. I cast my own slugs for the Slayer and they shoot excellent out at the 100 yard range, so no need to purchase slugs for it.

I love my .30 Impact shorty. I wander thru the woods at night with an ATN nightvision scope n hunt with It. I don’t have enough 30 cal pellets to shoot for recreation. I have a Wolverine 30 also but it sees no use due to pellet shortage.

It would be neat to have a compact. I only get one shot when purchasing airguns (wife) so I have to go for all I can get which is the 700mm and large tank. I still walk the woods with it using a sling. It is very doable, or I make it work either way.

I use my .25 quits a bit. Was going to make it a .30, but pellet prices and availability put a stop to that temporarily. Once the availability goes up, I’ll swap it.

I keep reading about all of the pellet shortages, but have not been affected myself as I stock piled a few years ago anticipating prices and shipping to increase. I had no idea at the time there would be a shortage. I am saving those now for hunting only and I cast my own for plinking. Casting can be just as fun as shooting once setup and in the groove.

I hope you and others can get back to having fun very soon. The .30 to me is superior for plinking cans, longer range hunting and such, but does gobble up more air. Not a concern when having your own air though. I typically shoot groups on paper using a rubber mulch filled tote/bin. This allows me to recycle the lead for a continuous lead supply in case they try a lead shortage trick on us next.

I had a .30 M3 Compact. Was a great shooter, as all of the Impact Compacts seem to be for me. My issue became that since I hunt ground squirrels at a range of ~55 yards and closer, my Compact .22 and/or my Leshiy Classic .22 both did as good a job for my needs. In fact I think that there must have been some pass-through using the .30 cal at these closer distances, because when I took the Leshiy out for the first time and shot the Hades pellets, I had more knock down/immediate lights out (no movement at all after being hit) than I did with the .30.

On the other hand I did pick up Baker Airguns' 'demo' .30 cal Maverick Sniper a few weeks back as they had the gun listed at a discount. I will have to say that I am impressed with the power this gun makes and it is working great (as opposed to the first Maverick I purchased which had issues out-of-the-box and was returned to PyramydAir for refund). Due to timing and scheduling I have only shot it out to 75 yards so far but I plan on taking it out to 100 soon and I think that it would be a great longer range pester for me and/or my buddy who has a vineyard.

@ TMH, I am going to have to try those Hades some day. I keep reading good talk about those. I see they are made in .30 cal. I do have some reservations about the JSB diabolo for hunting. They are no issue with squirrels, but for turkey, bobcat and coyotes I would like something better than those for more expansion and piece of mind in case I can't get a slug shooting straight enough for my comfort level. I tried the polymags and they shot okay, but no decent range with those.

Not impact here, but used to shoot .30 regularly. Arguably my favorite caliber. But use on the dairy I didn't see any better kills on birds than with .22 and shooting a big ol pellet at those speeds, wasn't a fan safety wise. Would love one again someday but see no need for one. If I need more power, I got my Tikka T1X .22lr. But if I had to choose between an air rifle as a .22 slugger or .30 pellet I'd go for .30 pellet. Just my preferences.

Not impact here, but used to shoot .30 regularly. Arguably my favorite caliber. But use on the dairy I didn't see any better kills on birds than with .22 and shooting a big ol pellet at those speeds, wasn't a fan safety wise. Would love one again someday but see no need for one. If I need more power, I got my Tikka T1X .22lr. But if I had to choose between an air rifle as a .22 slugger or .30 pellet I'd go for .30 pellet. Just my preferences.

I certainly can understand that, Dillon. The .30 cal has to be respected a lot more when dealing with pest around the farm and barns and neighborhoods. That is why I hang on to my Marauders. They are accurate and are safer to shoot pest like birds and squirrels around here with. I have taken out a few coons and a ground hog this year with the .30, but at a relatively close range under 50 yards and shooting downwards from the deck with a safe backdrop. I would not try and shoot squirrels out of trees with it. I mainly bought the .30 Impact along with the .357 Slayer for some land I own out in the country where they are safer to shoot. I bought the .25 cal barrel system thinking I could use that around here, but you know me by now, I like the power, so I set the .25 to 70 FPE and that doesn't work so well around here while being careful. It is quite impressive though with my cast slugs, but when I go to my land, it will be with the .30 cal, so probably wasted some dough buying the .25 barrel kit. I even bought that one in 600mm to slow my role, but that didn't work so well with having an Impact.

I'm still using my .30 cal. I got an Impact Compact and the Uragan King. The compact is my wood walker and the King is for still hunting with a tripod. I found a lot of land that has quite a bit of nut trees.

Those Uragan's get great reviews. Those would be on my short list if needing another airgun. Those squirrels I mentioned dispatching above were to help a pecan farmer out across the dirt road. I like pecans and have a couple of trees in my yard I have to defend as well.

25cal 34gr Jsb shoot every well out of superior liner. 
if I do my part moa at 100 is doable.