Anyone experience with a Nikko Stirling Diamond Hornet ED 10-50x60 HMD-T

I bought my Hornet a couple months ago from Dvor. Given all the similarities with Sightron, I felt the price was too good to pass up. I also have a newer Sightron SIII I use for Hunter FT, so my expectation was to only use the Nikko at 16X.

There’s a lot to like about the Hornet (for HFT). It comes with metal flip up caps, fully illuminated reticle, and a 4” side wheel. Overall built quality is very nice and the view at 16X is comparable to my Sightron. It does have a 16X magnification setting even though the product photos don’t show it. However, when the magnification is increased to 50X the image quality goes down. Not terrible but there’s a blue hue that is visible that says this isn’t $3k glass. Another con is the turrets do not lock and could accidentally be moved during a match. Not a deal breaker but locking would be better.

As far as ranging, out to 40 yards, targets pop into focus and there’s good separation between the distances. 45-55 yards, the focus also pops in very well BUT there’s not much separation between these distances on the included 4” wheel. In the last week I’ve been able to adapt a larger wheel (8” effective diameter) on the scope to improve the separation on the longer distances. Haven’t used it in a match yet, but it will be on one of my FT guns next year.

My opinion, the Hornet is definitely a good lower cost option for HFT use.

D61B93D1-56C4-453E-8DB4-1B3B9D6D3735.jpeg