• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any ideas on lightening the stock on cricket .22 synthetic

"Killerclown"I backpack my cricket to my local shooting area and by time I fill my pack with pellets, water,binoculars,range finder,tools,collapsing shooting sticks,etc my pack gets extremely heavy. The gun seems a bit heavy for off hand shooting. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Take the mag holder out (it unscrews) and buy a lightweight scope for it. My scope is 12oz and it makes a noticeable difference when I use it with the original stock. I made a few lighter stocks too. Unless you' enter BR competitions, there is rarely a need for a 3lb scope on an air rifle.

if making things is not your thing, you can always buy a second synthetic stock (they sell for less than $150) and cut it down until the weight is more to your liking (keep the original stock for when you sell it). It's thick enough that you can remove a lot of material without losing stiffness. 

The original synthetic stock is close to 3lb. The stocks I made are around 1lb. I was able to drop around 1lb by cutting down a synthetic stock.

I took over a pound of plastic off mine by cutting/grinding the sides and butt end of it and I removed the magazine holder. It helped a lot. It turned out real nice too. After I finished the final sanding, I stippled the grip and fore end. There's a thread on the TAG Kalibrgun forum, Cricket picture thread that has a lot of photos of it at various stages, then a comparison of it beside my other one without the mods...

"JoeWayneRhea"Google that guy Rapid70 . He has a nice lightweight option ...The synthetic Cricket bullpup stock is ridiculous ly heavy ...I had several and never could figure out why they were so heavy . They honestly feel like they are hollow and filled with sand !
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]It's a design issue (mainly). Plastic is not particularly rigid so, in order to stop it flexing under the weight of the heavy Cricket action, there are two options. They can make it thick (and heavy) or design in a support structure for a thinner plastic shell, like this:[/color] [/IMG][/URL] Kalibrgun chose to make it thick . It is more than 1/2" thick in parts. The goods news is that, even without aluminum pillars, it remains fairly rigid even when you tighten the stock screws. Plus, unlike wood, it isn't as effected by changes in the weather. The bad news is that it is somewhat gravitationally challenged...

It is easier to manufacturer the way Kalibrgun designed it. It allows it to be molded as a single piece vs injection molding two separate halves and screwing or gluing them together after (like the Bulldog stock). It comes out much stronger too. Because it is a little over-spec'd, you can remove a good chunk of material before you compromise it's structural integrity in a noticeable way. 

"iride"Zebra
was suppose to make a killing selling his one pound Carbon fiber stocks?
I guess he is not ready to retire rich, LOL.
Mike
Making cf stocks has only ever been a hobby for me. 

I still want to make some of spares available for other members here. I just need to find the time to finish them... I've been a little sidetracked with work recently.... Plus, I'm guilty of taking on too many diy projects at the same time so it takes me ages to finish each of them. You wouldn't believe how many nearly finished Cricket stocks I have at the moment... I am learning how to pillar-bed this month.