• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

any daystate owners with Electronic guns please give input

I had a .22 Airwolf MCT that took more doves and small game than any weapon I have ever owned. 10’s of thousands of pellets and never a single issue except a bad o-ring that was easily replaced. I sold that rifle to an airgunner here on the forum and as far as I know, it continues to kick ass. 

Fast forward to a little over a year ago... I bought a .25 Cal Safari for small game hunting. In the time I’ve owned it I’ve used it in the snow with sub zero temps, the heat of the desert in September with >100 degree temps, and plenty of rain and “real” usage. That said, I have never had so much as a hiccup from the rifle. The electronics are all protected from the elements and very reliable. I’ve never had any issue with my rifles not being ready at the time I needed to take a shot. The benefits of the electronic system far outweigh any disadvantages I can think of. I think some people are scared of the electronics “just because” which makes no sense to me. Literally everything is electronic these days and the electronics on the Daystate rifles is relatively simple.

just like any other rifle out there, if you maintain it, it will serve you well.

To Xbowsniper.... over the years of being in competition, I've seen all manner of rifles fail to operate "properly" when in competition.... in every one. I'm very curious what failed to operate "properly". From the factory, all electronic components and connections are fully water proofed. Some of the waterproofing on the connections COULD be removed in the course of service, but I'm not so sure it would affect any function unless dunked like the video above. AND I've seen a LOT of people withdraw so they don't get their baby wet. EXTREME cold affects all kinds of things in air rifles but it would seem to me that mechanical rifles would begin to degrade first. The hammer system on these do not touch anything but the return spring.... there is no lubricant or any friction at all.

All that said, the charge port on the DW needs to have care in sealing if you expect moisture. I've taken both in the field but don't really regard the RW as a hunter because of the stock configuration. it is ok, though. The timeout has been made user programmable on the latest versions, at least. I didn't care for that at all.... and no battery indicator is kind of lame, as well. At least it's good for thousands of shots. A Heliboard really does fix almost everything DS should have included, but I believe DS will be adding some features from the DW to the Red Wolf series over time. It's too nice of a rifle not to evolve a bit.

To the OP, you have some great equipment... These are wonderful rifles to shoot but I'm not sure what they bring to the table that you don't already have. I really love mine, though.

Bob

They are accurate, dependable, powerful or docile (whatcha want to do?). Robust; like throw it around and call it good, NO! Don’t go running a Pulsar or Red Wolf over with a Land Cruiser. Very good triggers though. Did I mention ACCURATE? This is what matters most to me. I’ve installed the HeliBoard in my Pulsars (I have two) This makes the electronics easily manipulated to your needs. It also takes the timed auto-off away.

I can deal with some shortcomings if the gun performs superb when I squeeze the trigger. That said, I don’t take my sportbike off-roading (not intensional anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️) I don’t take my F-450 dually on a family cross-country road trip. I don’t pull my Toy-Hauler RV with the minivan. Obviously, what I’m saying is, you need the proper tool for the purpose at hand. 

The Delta Wolf seems more robust than the previously mentioned Daystate electronic guns. There is just so much to like and admire about this platform. However, I don’t like that they changed the trigger some but that can be modified to your liking. The Delta has some great features and I’m ready to see them all be utilized; Bluetooth and all the likes. BTW, Lou, no, the electronics don’t change the mechanical Huma reg settings. You must physically do this if you need to.

I personally like the Daystate electronic offerings a whole bunch. I also like my Taipans, Kalibrguns & Airgun Technology PCPs.

P.S.~ Above all, don’t forget to have fun and knock ‘em dead!

Reactions: Centercut
Microelectronic circuitry is rendered useless by a strong electromagnetic pulse such as the Carrington Event, extreme heat or cold, lack of required power supply, or a host of other things.

That being said, electromagnetic weapons are the future, but they will not be hampered in their effectiveness by throwing glorified rocks from a blowpipe.

The U.S. Navy's laser guided lightning bolt, which is now operational, is one example. Can take down high flying aircraft with $1.50 worth of electricity.

Using the newest technology to babysit older technology makes no sense to me. It's a sales gimmick of sorts. The truth is, Lewis & Clark's Austrian air rifle that they took on their "voyage of discovery" back in 1803 would whip the vast majority of air rifles out there today in a real world hunting contest. It literally saved the expedition from being wiped out from numerically superior forces using the common weapons of the day. More than once.

Very interesting. Please supply links... not that I can't look it up for myself, I just want to see where YOU get your info? Seems that you are very knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing, except I doubt the aforementioned information he provided. I'm not accusing him of lying by any means. But logic would dictate error and a theory that's impossible to prove. Comparing the Lewis and Clark gun (if it even existed- I will have to research this first) and saying it's better than a modern PCP rifle with integrated electronics is like saying Kobe Bryant could take Michael Jordan in a 1 on 1 game. Well, not only did they play the game during different eras, but now one of them is no longer with us. But even when Kobe was still alive, MJ was way past his prime. So the game would never be played, thus the theory was impossible to prove. The fan of each player would tell the opposition that their guy could take the other, but the statement is biased, presumptuous, and impossible to prove.

Technology is always evolving. And the very definition of evolution refers to progression. So comparing the Lewis and Clark gun to a modern electronic PCP rifle that was designed by engineers using modern analytics, calculations, and tooling machinery is hogwash. It's the equivalent of comparing a modern PCP to a new generation of tactical weapon deployed by the US military. Both comparisons were used by Beezer in the same thread.

Beezer, this isn't a personal attack or an assault on your character. I just think your theory and your statement lack the evidence to support it. And it will never, ever, ever be proven otherwise for the aforementioned reasons. It's more emotion than logic.

Yeah, the Lewis & Clark gun was thought of as magic at the time. The best firearms at the time were black powder muzzle loaders which loaded slowly and were single shot. The magic repeater mystified and did it’s job to trick the natives into suspecting these boys had a game changing weapon that could take them all out! And it didn't smoke 😉

It had leather seals, a cast iron pressure vessel (a fairly brittle metal!) and shot round balls. Come on! It would not run circles around a modern airgun. It could not have been that powerful either. You can’t shoot 22- .46 caliber round balls with only 800 psi on deck with very much power man. Physics proves that. 

Cool story though:

https://youtu.be/DofQ7DhjSqs

I had a .22 Airwolf MCT that took more doves and small game than any weapon I have ever owned. 10’s of thousands of pellets and never a single issue except a bad o-ring that was easily replaced. I sold that rifle to an airgunner here on the forum and as far as I know, it continues to kick ass. 

Fast forward to a little over a year ago... I bought a .25 Cal Safari for small game hunting. In the time I’ve owned it I’ve used it in the snow with sub zero temps, the heat of the desert in September with >100 degree temps, and plenty of rain and “real” usage. That said, I have never had so much as a hiccup from the rifle. The electronics are all protected from the elements and very reliable. I’ve never had any issue with my rifles not being ready at the time I needed to take a shot. The benefits of the electronic system far outweigh any disadvantages I can think of. I think some people are scared of the electronics “just because” which makes no sense to me. Literally everything is electronic these days and the electronics on the Daystate rifles is relatively simple.

just like any other rifle out there, if you maintain it, it will serve you well.

Good real world contrast to that competition issue noted by Xbowsniper. Even if a failure was possible, seems odd that multiple units would fail at the same time. And as Arzrover noted, why did such competition "issues" happen. Often many sides to a story but I like real world use reports myself and I've seen several noted here. I wouldn't purposely take my Pulsar into rain but I don't think I'd panic and run for cover in a shower with it either.

Have owned a Daystate MK3 and an Airwolf MCT for quite a few years now. While my MK3 has the older board with 10 step power adjustablity, the Wolf only came with a 2 step board and was replaced with a Heliboard where you get 12 step adjustablity. 

My treatment on BOTH was protecting the electronics boards with protective film of CORROSION-X as well the micro switches of the On/Off and Trigger

My faith in CorrosionX stems from using it in the +20 years I raced R/C model boats. We would liberally coat the PC boards of the receivers, servos and switches & connections.

Even tho there electronics were in protective enclosures they still time to time got DUNKED SOPPING WET !!! The electronics never shorted out or failed !!!

While I would not go out of my way to purposely use either Daystate electro gun in a rainstorm .... getting them wet and worrying about the electronics was the least of the concerns.

@zx10wall

When W.W. Greener tested a Girandoni air rifle, he was mightily impressed with its power. He placed a target on an outbuilding, not expecting much damage. The Girandoni shot through the building and also shot through his MacIntosh coat that he had hanging on the other side. The power was far beyond what he had expected. Actually, the rifle could expend two 22-round magazines of round ball before the buttstock cylinder had to be recharged. The length of the barrel helped to make up for the lack of pressure compared to modern airguns. The rifle was improperly used by the Austrians which is why it didn't get any more attention than it did, beside the fact it was incredibly expensive to produce compared to muskets, so never made in large numbers. If it had been used by shock troops mounted on horseback in the most critical of circumstances at strategic locations, military history could have been changed.

@TrinityMaker

I was in the ballistic missile submarine navy. Those submarines were absolute state of the art and made an Apollo space capsule and lunar lander look like tinker toys. They were the real spaceships, but they sailed through inner space and not outer space. To give you some idea, if you took the entire 130 man crew and divided the value of the sub equally among the crew, each crewmember was responsible for at least $100,000,000 worth of equipment. That buys a lot of technology that is far beyond the state of the art that those on the outside only learn about years after it has become obsolete to the navy. That is several times the value of a fighter jet that several maintenance crew and the pilots are responsible for. That is why the sub had both a gold crew and a blue crew that each had the sub for 6 months out of the year while the other crew went back for months of training in order to use the new stuff that they would have to use when it was outfitted for their next patrol. No sub went back out the way it came in. In a 6-month rotation, the patrol lasted about 2.5 months and the other 3.5 months was maintenance and updating to newer technology. Those guys are privy to stuff that the see-eye-eh wish they knew about.

To give you some idea how far things have come, as soon as I heard about the asteroid over Chelyabinsk, Russia, that happened to simply "explode" by itself, I went looking for information on the internet as to what actually happened. A Russian guy in a car happened to photograph the asteroid on his car dash cam (insurance companies in Russia require every insured car to have a dash cam to prevent insurance fraud, so almost anything that happens near a road with heavy traffic gets photographed) and this asteroid that was traveling at least 20,000 MPH was hit from behind by a fast moving glowing object that blasted three big hunks out of the front of the asteroid. This caused a big hole in the asteroid, and internal heating from air friction caused rapid expansion which cause the asteroid to fragment into several smaller hunks that mostly burned up before impact. A Russian air defense unit immediately claimed responsibility for the action, but it was immediately denied by the Russian government. Go look up the S500 Russian air defense system and note its known capabilities. Unknown capabilities are likely to exist. As a US general stated recently, the Russians are at least 10 years ahead of us when it comes to air defense capability.

As far as the US Navy laser guided lightning bolt weapon, it has been known for a looooonnggg time that a lightning bolt/electric arc will follow the path of a laser beam of sufficient strength. The weapon passed its sea tests about 2 years ago and should be in service now, and it was openly announced on the internet which is where I noticed it without even looking for it. That means that the Navy probably has even more advanced stuff in the testing stages. Like things that can manipulate Space/Time, such as they were working on back in WWII with the Philadelphia Experiment that did not work out too well for them at the time.

The magnetic motor that runs by itself and produces useful torque was patented back in 1888, but the public is still not allowed to have it. They are now being used in places like underground military bases where solar panels, wind generators and such cannot be used. Neodymium magnets made them practical to implement. There are lots of things you are not allowed to have from technology that was developed many years ago. Think of Tesla's free energy electrical device.............and the list goes on.

@beezer, there are many different reports on the guns power, kind of like any mystical object, wide ranging accounts. One account that is remotely believable; the Girardoni air rifle had the capacity to shoot 30 shots at useful pressure. It shot a 146gr round ball at 600 fps producing 117 FPE.

This is impressive. But it’s not surpassing the capabilities of the modern airgun. I can produce this same power from a .30 - 54.5gr slug at 985 fps producing 117 FPE out of an EDgun R5 Super Long (500cc tube air reservoir). It only has a 27.5” barrel. The Girardoni, I’m estimating, looks to be at least a 34” barrel. The EDgun can shoot MOA ~ not just hit a man’s torso at 100 yards but shoot the man in the eye if desired. Oh, and you can fill it to 4,300 psi and get 50 shots at this power with an ES of 15 fps and a SD of 3 fps. This is an EDgun which is all mechanical. The Daystate electronic PCPs are capable of greater things. 

I would suggest putting your money where your mouth is; get your hands on a Girardoni and let’s get to the range and have a contest. We can even replace the leather seals with some Viton 75D. I’m sure you don’t want to stroke a pump at the reported 1,500 times to fill the Girardoni up to the 800 psi that it fills to, so you can use my compressor 😉 Of course I’m being facetious and know it’s pretty impossible for you to use or get a Girardoni in hand today. It sure would be fun though 😆

I know this is still off topic (sorry), but there is a man in San Diego area who is building reproductions of some of those old rifles, but with modern materials. They are works of art and he brought several to one of LD's matches in Temecula and allowed us to plink with them some. They seemed fully capable of hitting a pop can or smaller at 100 yards and were quite powerful and all in different calibers of round ball. I would say barrel making and air storage are about the only two REAL developments from that time. Amazing experience , actually.

Bob

@TrinityMaker

I was in the ballistic missile submarine navy. Those submarines were absolute state of the art and made an Apollo space capsule and lunar lander look like tinker toys. They were the real spaceships, but they sailed through inner space and not outer space. To give you some idea, if you took the entire 130 man crew and divided the value of the sub equally among the crew, each crewmember was responsible for at least $100,000,000 worth of equipment. That buys a lot of technology that is far beyond the state of the art that those on the outside only learn about years after it has become obsolete to the navy. That is several times the value of a fighter jet that several maintenance crew and the pilots are responsible for. That is why the sub had both a gold crew and a blue crew that each had the sub for 6 months out of the year while the other crew went back for months of training in order to use the new stuff that they would have to use when it was outfitted for their next patrol. No sub went back out the way it came in. In a 6-month rotation, the patrol lasted about 2.5 months and the other 3.5 months was maintenance and updating to newer technology. Those guys are privy to stuff that the see-eye-eh wish they knew about.

To give you some idea how far things have come, as soon as I heard about the asteroid over Chelyabinsk, Russia, that happened to simply "explode" by itself, I went looking for information on the internet as to what actually happened. A Russian guy in a car happened to photograph the asteroid on his car dash cam (insurance companies in Russia require every insured car to have a dash cam to prevent insurance fraud, so almost anything that happens near a road with heavy traffic gets photographed) and this asteroid that was traveling at least 20,000 MPH was hit from behind by a fast moving glowing object that blasted three big hunks out of the front of the asteroid. This caused a big hole in the asteroid, and internal heating from air friction caused rapid expansion which cause the asteroid to fragment into several smaller hunks that mostly burned up before impact. A Russian air defense unit immediately claimed responsibility for the action, but it was immediately denied by the Russian government. Go look up the S500 Russian air defense system and note its known capabilities. Unknown capabilities are likely to exist. As a US general stated recently, the Russians are at least 10 years ahead of us when it comes to air defense capability.

As far as the US Navy laser guided lightning bolt weapon, it has been known for a looooonnggg time that a lightning bolt/electric arc will follow the path of a laser beam of sufficient strength. The weapon passed its sea tests about 2 years ago and should be in service now, and it was openly announced on the internet which is where I noticed it without even looking for it. That means that the Navy probably has even more advanced stuff in the testing stages. Like things that can manipulate Space/Time, such as they were working on back in WWII with the Philadelphia Experiment that did not work out too well for them at the time.

The magnetic motor that runs by itself and produces useful torque was patented back in 1888, but the public is still not allowed to have it. They are now being used in places like underground military bases where solar panels, wind generators and such cannot be used. Neodymium magnets made them practical to implement. There are lots of things you are not allowed to have from technology that was developed many years ago. Think of Tesla's free energy electrical device.............and the list goes on.

Beezer, I too was in the Navy. I was a STG (Sonar Technician Surface Fleet). Ironically, I looked for you guys underwater. It was an advanced electronics rate. I understand fully that the general public doesn't know about weaponry until it's a decade old. I tested proprietary torpedo's, Asrocks, and other Sonar related weaponry. I wasn't questioning the existence of the weapons. I was pointing out that you compared the technology of the modern PCP with electronics to the state of the art military weaponry. You also compared the the Lewis and Clark air rifle to the modern PCP with electronics. You made it seem as if the modern PCP with electronics wasn't all that impressive. Like it was a stepping stone, or a fad just stuck somewhere in the middle.

Well let me tell you something, I challenge you to find a firearm available to the general public that can be adjusted for high or low power, and everything in between using the same ammunition. Those Daystate Delta Wolf's are AMAZING! They have built in chronographs, and electronically adjustable regulators and hammers. There's nothing else like them. That's why they cost $3K. But everyone I know who's used them or owns them absolutely falls in love with them. The weakest link on the gun isn't the electronics. That's the layer 2 stuff. The weakest link on the gun will be the weakest point in the mechanics. That's the o-rings. But that's the weakest link in every air rifle. Just like Motorhead said, the circuit boards are coated in a waterproof material to prevent any sort of shorts or the damage of any of the electrolytic components. 

BTW- there's currently no such thing as free energy. Or at least, they haven't figured it out yet. If they had free energy, then we wouldn't be burning coal or utilizing nuclear power to feed the grids around the country. Solar and wind are insufficient to power the grid. They're only good to supplement fossil fuels. They are free, but grossly inefficient for large scale electrical demands, and they're only useful when the wind is blowing, or the sun is shining.

I know this is still off topic (sorry), but there is a man in San Diego area who is building reproductions of some of those old rifles, but with modern materials. They are works of art and he brought several to one of LD's matches in Temecula and allowed us to plink with them some. They seemed fully capable of hitting a pop can or smaller at 100 yards and were quite powerful and all in different calibers of round ball. I would say barrel making and air storage are about the only two REAL developments from that time. Amazing experience , actually.

Bob

Bob, are you in SD? I am too..... So is Dale from Varmint Knockers.

Just to clarify, I didn't intend to convey that these old (or new) ball shooters were equal to or better than state of the art modern pcp's..... just that they can be better than a lot of us would believe. Don't know what the current value of someone making something THAT FINE, with those old skills and techniques, but I bet it would be several times what a Thomas rifle costs. Just TOO MUCH time and care involved for it not to be.

Bob

The one thing that I did not point out is. In the afternoon in my back yard as I began to shoot it a lot of times was a little breezy so I would go to hi power and shoot the jsb 25gr pellets @970fps or mid power and shoot the nsa 20.2 slugs @920 . But just before the evening when things calm I then went to low power shooting jsb 18gr @900fps and that was so relaxing. On low power I would get if remember correctly around 180 shots on a fill. To have such choices with three different types of ammo by simply making such a simple adjustment is what I miss the most. Hope that helps you achieve your goal or decision with the electric guns. Best of luck 

Never had any barrel issues or any other issues for that matter. I shot close to if not more than 7500 shots with no issues and if I would run out of jsb’s and nsa slugs. It seems that it shot cp 14.3 the kodiak 21gr almost any.22cal that I shoved in the barrel, the gun was simply amazing but the rw was just too long. Please note that I am planning on purchasing a delta Wolf.22cal.