• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Another Impact upgrade I MUST have.......doh!

Impacts upgradetitis is a horrible and incurable disease! Just as I thought I got my Impact pretty sorted I saw this on Utah Airgun's website:

https://utahairguns.com/airmarksman-fx-impact-backbone-rail/#product-description

3V2A9019__19893.1652975882.jpg

I was bitching about impacts skinny little "frame" or "chassis" is super flexible and make the impact at high power harder to shoot accurately due to flex induced with hold.......well, this thing should fix most of it. Needless to say this one upgrade I had to have and hit the preorder button, still cheaper than a M3 right? Only gripe is the front looks damn ugly! when is the 800mm .25 barrel coming out? LOL!

It certainly is upgrade to me, If you take the impact apart the plate is really flimsy. Fine for pellets or lower power but at higher power the gun is VERY hold sensitive. At 200-300 yards with factory plate if I hold the gun differently or have a little different cheek pressure the POI would shift, not terribly noticeable at 100 yards though. Between this and the ST bag rider the hold sensitivity should reduce, plus my MK2 needs 20MOA rail anyways. 

Sadly it does add weight but 4 extra oz isn’t bad and it’s mostly going to be a bench gun so no big deal. 

Why, oh why, if you want to spend 3G on an air gun, don't you buy an Evol?

Or maybe a red wolf?

becuase I don’t care for it for many reasons, primarily the lack of flexibility(caliber change, power) and fine tune capability. To each their own, mine is not even close to being the most expensive Impact out there. 

plus wait was stupid long, imagine all the impact guys jumping on the evol bandwagon……be careful what you wish for. LOL 

when it comes to daystate, when they finally hire some good software engineer and I can do all the fine tuning from my phone then I’ll definitely think about getting one. But I stare at computer screen all day so more computer stuff doesn’t intrigue me at all. For reference I have over 40 smart devices on my wifi at home all controlled by my phone. 😝

Reactions: Impact701
Wow! 200 and 300 yard accurate shooting? Imagine how far you'll be able to shoot now? 400-500 yards? I agree with @mikew, just makes the gun heavier and uglier. Post up your impressions when you bolt it on.

Actually I will have access to the 500 yard silhouette range soon and hanging/shooting with the 22LR crowd doesn’t help either. 4oz heavier won’t kill me but yes, the front end is very fugly! 

Reactions: Impact701
I'll be passing on this one, I don't find flex to be a problem the gun is more accurate than me on any given day.

Definitely agree that in most situations the upgrade is completely unnecessary. I found my impact’s limits/weakness after going to the 300 yard range which made me crank the power way up and down the rabbit hole I went. At 100 yards getting MOA groups with basically stock Impact is so normal/routine it’s down right boring. LOL 

To quote the product description:

"The AirMarksman Backbone Rail drastically reduces flex in the entire rifle [...] at the cost of only 4 added ounces [...]."

And at the cost of "only" 270 of your hard earned dollars. We even give you one cent back, imagine that! 😆

Don't misunderstand me: I like accessories as much as the next guy. It's just....

🔸 If only that rail would "drastically reduce the flex" of a 700mm barrel/shroud — that might actually be interesting. But I think that's the ONE flex this device will actually NOT reduce.... 😟 Too bad.

Matthias

🔶 PS a month later:
I just DID come across a replacement rail that DOES reduce the flex of the barrel/shroud! 👍🏼:
▪ The Saber Tactical Top Rail Support.
▪ Comes with 20moa, bubble level, M-Lok.
▪ In standard and compact sizes.
▪ To see the installation of the shroud support look at 5:08min here:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rammam101
@jungleshooter: yes, the extra 4oz of additional weight is more than adequately balanced by the amount of weight reduced from my wallet!!! LMAO!

The 800mm tensioned barrel system will reduce barrel flex which is another "upgrade" I'm tempted by, I already fashioned tensioned barrel for my 700mm barrel but debating if I should get the 25 cal 800mm tensioned barrel........ah, who am I kidding. hahahaha 

I agree with the concept, but they need to make a shorter version.

Definitely agree, BUT the longer front rail does have some uses, wish they make the front part a hand guard like the ST hand guard. Except I can imagine the difficult of making such complex part and the cost thanks to that. A shorter version like you said with a detachable hand guard with top rail and mlock on 2 sides would be optimal!!! or just make a short version that works with ST hand guard.......maybe ST will make one like that since they already have a front hand guard. 

I am missing the longer upper rail so I can use a bipod something like the fortmeier, to attach above the barrel and not below.

This one looks promising but they shall eliminate that 1" empty space between the upper picatiny to barrel.

Fortmeier-k bipod.1653574781.jpg

Yeah been eyeing the top mounted bipod system for a while and this upgrade definitely give the possibility of going that route. That's a different rabbit hole again! My excuse is that it can be used in my center fire rifles(that haven't seen light of day for god knows how long) also........that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! LOL