• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Animal Sizes - Nose to tail

Hey!
I'm looking for the average sizes of different game. I would like to be able to range and shoot the game without necessarily using a rangefinder. I have one and do use it, but when hunting, I would find it too time consuming I believe.
I've listed some species below and I would like you to add some yourself. I will maintain the my first post by adding the content of your posts.
Hopefully this will be a great source for newbies like me, that haven't had the opportunity to do our own research.
Given that I live in Europe, I have specified what kind of Hare I'm looking for, but I want to add the ones that are common where you live.

I'm looking for the measurements, specified where they are measured. Of course I would like the measurements to be from a part and angle you would usually see in the field.
Here's how it should look. I don't know if the measurements in this example is correct.
Example: Magpie : avg 34cm/13" : Beak -> end of tail

Species

Hare(Lepus timidus) : empty :

Red Fox 
 : empty :

Ground Squirrel  : empty :

Squirrel  : empty :

Dassie(Rock Hyrax)  : empty :

Magpie  : empty :

Crow  : empty :

Raven  : empty :

Black Grouse  : empty :

Rock Grouse(Fjellrype)  : empty :

Willow Grouse(Lirype)  : empty :

Greylag Goose 

Pink-footed Goose 

Mallard 

Pigeon  : empty :

Dove 

This might be futile at longer ranges. If you measured the animal's angular size perfectly and calculated the range for an animal of average size, but its actual size were 10% larger or smaller than average, then your range would be off by 10% and your shot would be off by the distance a pellet drops in the last 10% of its flight. At longer ranges, that could be a miss.

Even using a rangefinder I find it helpful to fire for effect-pick out a small pebble or other target at the distance the quarry is located and see what the wind and conditions do to your POI. (This works for animals like ground squirrels who dive into burrows and emerge again later) I live near sea level but shoot ground squirrels at 3000 feet sometimes and my dope for low elevation differs from higher altitude. It's also a good idea to have an instinctive knowledge of your zero range. You can teach yourself by shooting at different distances and ranging with a rangefinder. Distant targets may stand still while you count mildots and calculate your holdover but most game is going to vanish pretty quickly in my experience!
John

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge, I really do. This is however beside the point. I'm sure with practice you can get good at ranging without a rangefinder. I'm sure you can remember the distances when you are in firmiliar turf. I'm sure there's a million different ways to hunt, but this is also one, and it's a proven technique for ranging.
It's somewhat beside the point what you guys are describing(still appreciate it) and it is just not what I'm looking for. The first post describes the information I want, and I would like it if we use this thread for that purpose, and lets discuss the best ways to hunt in another thread.
Thanks.