• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Am I allowed to shoot my airgun in my backyard in Florida?

Where in Miami are you? I am in Cutler Bay and have no issues with shooting in my backyard where my distance is 25 yards. I have good relations with my neighbors in close proximity to my home & they know I shoot airguns, so no problems here. You definitely do not want to go around scaring your neighbors with a rifle in hand so it all depends on where you are and what footing your relations with them are. Homestead & the Redlands are the ideal place to be shooting in. Just cover your bases and play smart.

Sometimes that information can be hard to find.
I live in Houston, I started shooting pellet guns in my backyard thinking I would be fine. I thought I did the proper research on the laws and city ordinances. The neighbors where cool with it for about 6 months before I started getting cops at the front door telling me the neighbors had safety concerns with what I do in my backyard. I would show the cop my back yard range, he would think its good and say carry on, shoot all you want. All 3 would tell me I could shoot in the backyard no law against it.

One day out of the blue a 4th cop came by. But this was not your regular city cop, he was from the community relations department, or in other words the cop that goes around and enforce city ordinances. He told me it was against city ordinances to shoot anything in your back yard at any time in the city limits. Well I told him what the other cops said, his reply was this. Your regular city cop dose not study city ordinances, there is extra training involved and most likely would not be able to answer questions about city ordinances. He gave me a warning, said it wont be good if I have to come back.

Not 20 min after he left I had downloaded the city code book. Spent 2 hours reading the whole thing, turns out the 4th cops was right. All though there is no rules agians the shooting of pellets guns in your backyard. Im not lawyer but this is what I got out of reading the code book.
One rule states airguns are considered a weapon in Houston city limits.
The other prohibits the discharge of weapon in the city limits.

So yeah... no airguns in my backyard....Find the department that handles city code and ask them. Most cities over about 10000 people gave or take about 9999 are going to have rules that prohibit airgun shooting in the backyard. 

I live along the coast of central Florida - 
ive actually had to call the sheriffs dept to settle a dispute about me shooting in my backyard -
I use a 1000 pound bullet trap capable of stopping a .45 caliber firearm round -or .223 ....
I used to shoot firearm in my backyard - thanks Rick Scott - but the ruling got overturned last year when sombody shot through their fence and hit another person on the other side
you can’t fix stupid! 
Anyway - my Neighbor didn’t like the noise so he started getting in my face - I told him that I’d call the sherriffs department and let them settle it
they arrived -looked my whole setup over - I even offered to let them shoot a few rounds —they then rounded the corner to give my neighbor the bad news -
I live in the unincorporated county section of my city - so the only rule I need follow is that the projectile can’t leave the property ! 
Simple enough and a bit of respect for my neighbors in that I try to shoot midday when most are at work and avoid shooting on weekends and before 9am 
but I would add that each municipality is diferant - some cities and even areas of each county make their own rules 
I was told that if I had a minimum of 5 acres - I could shoot firearms As well 
but as others have said -call the local authorities in your area and ask -
most police look at them as BB guns and could care less -but when you start shooting squirrels and such -you’d better check out all your local ordances 
take care and shoot safe- always know your background and back stop 
CK

Reactions: MysticalDragon
Hi all
I live in Miami Florida and would like to know if it is ok to shoot in my backyard. I have a 30 yard backyard and I setup a target with a 2 rugs (one of top of each other) and a very thick plank of wood (pellets dont go through).

Thanks
Stoney
Hey man- I live in Palm Beach, been down this hole before, seems that what is allowed on the scene is based on what the city, community, or responding police officer feels is right so since I like to plink on my property, I always keep a copy of the Florida State Statue laws regarding air guns/bb guns, etc. near me and with me when shooting in case an officer is unaware of the laws re. air/pellet/bb gun usage, age limits, etc. You find them in "Florida Statutes", helped me out a few times when "any type of gun hating" neighbors, (had snowbirds from England living next door and the brits HATE any type of gun as it scares them since their country is VERY strict), called police when I was showing my 9-year-old how to shoot an old Daisy spring loaded bb gun! Amazing how little most law enforcement types know about air gun laws and how many people dislike our hobby.
Always remember though, if in a situation, respect, calm and listen to what you are told, a responding officer ALWAYS has the right of onsite decision making and you want to be on their good side and not argue as they are just doing their job or may have had a bad day, AND you have the law to show them, hopefully!
Florida is one of the BEST states re. this issue, so enjoy, but as another post said, always check with local PD as to what is and what is not allowed.
Good luck!
TimeBanditz

Reactions: BC
Hey man- I live in Palm Beach, been down this hole before, seems that what is allowed on the scene is based on what the city, community, or responding police officer feels is right so since I like to plink on my property, I always keep a copy of the Florida State Statue laws regarding air guns/bb guns, etc. near me and with me when shooting in case an officer is unaware of the laws re. air/pellet/bb gun usage, age limits, etc. You find them in "Florida Statutes", helped me out a few times when "any type of gun hating" neighbors, (had snowbirds from England living next door and the brits HATE any type of gun as it scares them since their country is VERY strict), called police when I was showing my 9-year-old how to shoot an old Daisy spring loaded bb gun! Amazing how little most law enforcement types know about air gun laws and how many people dislike our hobby.
Always remember though, if in a situation, respect, calm and listen to what you are told, a responding officer ALWAYS has the right of onsite decision making and you want to be on their good side and not argue as they are just doing their job or may have had a bad day, AND you have the law to show them, hopefully!
Florida is one of the BEST states re. this issue, so enjoy, but as another post said, always check with local PD as to what is and what is not allowed.
Good luck!
TimeBanditz

Hi all
I live in Miami Florida and would like to know if it is ok to shoot in my backyard. I have a 30 yard backyard and I setup a target with a 2 rugs (one of top of each other) and a very thick plank of wood (pellets dont go through).

Thanks
Stoney
Stoney, call your local police department if they have jusridiction over you. Its better if its the Sheriffs department. City regs are more restrictive than county restrictions. Odds are tho, if a City Police is who you get if you call 911, youre screwed. Thats why I live in the county here near Pensacola, for that same reason. SO i can shoot in my yard, as long as the pellets arent leaving my property.

Stoney, call your local police department if they have jusridiction over you. Its better if its the Sheriffs department. City regs are more restrictive than county restrictions. Odds are tho, if a City Police is who you get if you call 911, youre screwed. Thats why I live in the county here near Pensacola, for that same reason. SO i can shoot in my yard, as long as the pellets arent leaving my property.
many to most of the time the bluecoats dont know the laws they are trying to enforce. Its best to do the research yourself vs relying on something told verbally. They can tell you its fine, but then you do it and the bluecoats show up and say its not. Plus its hearsay if you say that you were told by such n such it was ok.

Best to look up the ordinances yourself and have it printed out to protect you if the bluecoats opt to show up and interfere with your rights. Not to mention its best to do things responsibly.

Reactions: Str8tshooter