Alpha-Carette compressor is here

"briansmith"Is this the place to ask.. I have an AV about 5 months old. Still works fine but is now spitting black on the air drain when I'm filling. The AV guys said to change the oil and don't worry about it. I did and it "seemed" better. I use reg compressor oil for Home depot. They said that was fine, but Should I use a different oil? Thanks Brian
I was able to purchase a gallon on Bauer synthetic compressor oil on EBay for $40. If you look at auto parts stores you can buy Royal Purple 100 synthetic compressor oil. Look at Filtertechs.com for Seco Lube 500. All of these are oils that won’t turn black before the recommended 50 hour oil change intervals recommended for a Carette. These should be perfect for an AV as well.

Reactions: NEAirGunner
Humdinger, My brother and I just bought a Alpha Carette and ran it for first time today. First issue is ours does not have an hour counter. I thought all units had the hour counter so has anyone else out there had the same issue (will be calling Joe on Monday)? Also Joe said they ran the unit for 5 hours before they sent it for initial break in and check for quality control, then oil was drained when they shipped it. How often should oil be changed after the initial 5 hour break in? 
Thanks, 
Drippin

"DrippinLead"Also to other Carette owners. Should the one large gauge that sets the cut off pressure match the small gauge at beginning of air filter? And should these gauges match the gauge you have on your tank? I understand that once the pressure reaches 2,000 then it will release air but shouldn't the gauges start to match up after 2,000 psi?
They should match up in theory. The accuracy and calibration error in analog pressure gauges is fairly substantial. I would trust the small gauge on the bottom of your Alpha filter the least of all. I'd go by the large gauge on the Carette and the one on your tank unless it is a small micro gauge. If it's a large gauge like ones on a Great White, Airhog, or Omega tank it should be fairly close to the Carette gauge reading. It would be a lucky oincidence if all three gauges read identical pressure after the PMV pressure has been exceeded. I wouldn't be too concerned unless one of yours is more than a couple of hundred PSI off the others. I saw a recently posted Youtube video from Edguns where he tested $50 Wika gauges 10 at a time. They were very inconsistent in their readings. It makes you wonder about the quality control testing that is done before analog gauges leave the factory.

Here is a photo of DrippinLead's compressor with the coolant reservoir tank that we installed.
4f85a996ac646956ae6b41a32d6f22aa.jpg

We were lucky that we caught the gauge issue before it reached the "4500" shut-off level or else our tank would have been filled to 5,000 psi.

"DrippintanLead"Thanks Humdinger, Yes the large gauge on the great white is 500 psi more than large gauge on Alpha Carette. I will call Joe Monday. I also would like to know from the other owners if their unit have a timer that shows how long the compressor has been running. Thanks!
Your Carette appears to be the base model. I don't see the auto moisture dump or the PMV that comes on the higher priced model that Joe sells. The side of the switch box which is directly behind the pressure shutoff gauge in your photo is where the hourmeter is on the deluxe version of the Carette. The red arrow in the photo points to the hour meter. It also has a Pressure Maintaining Valve and Automatic Moisture Drain which are both labeled.

While I don't recommend overfilling your tank beyond 4500 psi, the tank would not fail if you did. Both your tank and the Carette have burst disks which would blow long before the tank would burst. Carbon fiber tanks can typically hold 3-4 times more pressure than they are rated for. It is just as likely that your tank gauge is inaccurate rather than the pressure gauge on your Carette. I'd fill another tank with the Carette shutoff set at 4000 psi. If it is the Carette, then the other tank will show 4500 psi. 

I have a question and observation regarding your overflow tank. The hose running to the input of the overflow tank should flow in near the top of the tank. The water coming out of the overflow tank should have the outflow hose drawing water from the bottom of the tank. Gravity will quickly remove all the bubbles from the system. I see air in your output line. Once air is out of the system that has been run the lines should not have any air pockets in them even when your compressor is turned off.
b893f464e45f338efd99cd2186510afe.jpg

Humdinger, Yes our unit is the base model. When I spoke to Joe he said the only difference between the deluxe model and base was Auto Moisture Dump and PMV and our base unit was supposed to have the PMV added with the Alpha filter. Joe did tell me it was no big deal to not have the Auto Moisture Dump just release the valve after topping of my tank. The timer was one of the reasons why we decided to go with the Alpha Carette and If having the base model means the timer was deleted then we certainly would have paid the extra $100 dollars. We will call Monday to find out if this was indeed the case.

It is good to know that there is so much room for error as far as over filling the tank but I hope you understand that we would prefer not having the experience of blowing the burst disc and having to replace it. The tank gauge was 4,500 on two different tanks (one tank was Joe's great white) and the large gauge on the compressor read 4,000 each time. We will more than likely just set compressor gauge to shut off at 4,000 in the future but was curious if others had the same issue.

You are very observant humdinger. The picture my brother took was before we started the unit and did have air in the tube at the time of the photo. Before we started the unit we filled the lines with antifreeze and with in a very short time of starting the unit we had zero air in the lines. We were very happy how the coolant tank was working. Also very happy with the sound level of the unit! It is a nice feeling knowing that I will always have air when I need it.

One more question. How often are people changing the oil after the initial 5 hour break in and oil change?
Thanks for the info.
Drippinlead

The owner's manual I received with my Carette says 20 hours for the second oil change. I will change mine annually or at 20 hours. If I see the oil turning dark before then I might change it, but I think the first 5 hour change gets most of the break in gunk out of the compressor so I doubt the oil will get very dark. What I like about the Carette is that in addition to the low sound level it runs at low rpms which puts much less heat and wear on the pistons and motor. On another forum an AV owner was saying that because that compressor fills 3 times faster than a Carette it will last longer. That logic is like saying an Indy car motor will last longer than a regular automobile engine because it goes any given distance faster.

"Humdinger"I have a question and observation regarding your overflow tank. The hose running to the input of the overflow tank should flow in near the top of the tank. The water coming out of the overflow tank should have the outflow hose drawing water from the bottom of the tank. Gravity will quickly remove all the bubbles from the system. I see air in your output line. Once air is out of the system that has been run the lines should not have any air pockets in them even when your compressor is turned off.

Both tank input hose (output from compressor) and tank output hose (input to radiator) enter the tank from holes drilled in the top. Both hose ends are submerged and are at the bottom of the tank. We had two reasons for submerging the tank input hose: 1) to prevent air from entering the hose when the unit is turned off which would allow some of the fluid to drain; 2) to reduce air bubbles getting mixed in with the fluid inside the tank due to agitation at the surface as fluid is pumped into the tank. Since the radiator pump sucks the fluid out of the tank and doesn't rely on gravity, we could insert the hoses at the top of the tank, making it much simpler. We won't have any leaks at the bottom and we didn't need any fittings.

My brother explained that the photo was taken before we "primed the pump" and started the unit. I do have a video of the actual startup. The fluid was milky for several minutes due to all the bubbles. Once that cleared up, you can't tell that the fluid is moving because there are absolutely no bubbles. You have to open the lid on the tank to see that it is indeed flowing.

Bubbles in the coolant lines may not affect the performance of the unit, but removing them satisfies my OCD tendencies.

Our owners manual states 20 hours for the "second maintenance". There is no document version number or date of publication. There are several mistakes and mislabeled diagrams.

I just got off the phone with Joe Brancato. He said the compressor gauge is bad so he will send us a replacement. 

Regarding the usage time indicator, he said that does not come on the Basic model.

Regarding the maintenance intervals, he said the second period is 20 hours, and the third is 60 hours. He said to keep an eye on the oil and if it darkens, change it.

"RockBall"I just got off the phone with Joe Brancato. He said the compressor gauge is bad so he will send us a replacement. 
Regarding the usage time indicator, he said that does not come on the Basic model.
Regarding the maintenance intervals, he said the second period is 20 hours, and the third is 60 hours. He said to keep an eye on the oil and if it darkens, change it.

Good to hear that they are sending you a replacement gauge. I hadn't seen the Alpha filter when I previously looked at your photos. It is puzzling that you were sent a top of the line Alpha filter but not the full feature Carette. You don't need the factory PMV since the Alpha filter has one, but the auto drain and hour meter are useful features that you should have gotten with your order unless you opted for the base model. 

As long as your overflow tank is functioning as you intend then it doesn't matter where the hoses are positioned. I'm just like you in being OCD about having no air bubbles in the cooling system. It is reassuring to see only coolant in the lines with no bubbles circulating. I just made an improved tank with hose barb connectors.. I enjoy Rube Goldberging equipment for better performance. The aluminum catch can in this thread is nice but a one quart clear plastic container costs $2 from Walmart. It will be easy to fill and service and it looks better than the smaller one I use now. I drilled 1/2" holes in opposite sides then epoxied the hose barbs in place. Gravity and the compressor pump removes all air from the cooling system in less than a minute of run time.

7994dfe3c1ec96ef7cef93b839d282d1.jpg

I like that container. If we had the hose barbs, we may have done ours differently.

It was our decision not to buy the full version of the Carette. We wanted to save $100 thinking it was no big deal to occasionally drain it ourselves, Had we known that the hour meter was not included in the basic model, we would have chosen the full version. Joe said that he would add this information about the basic version to his website.

I just created a new post with more pictures and a YouTube video link.

"RockBall"I like that container. If we had the hose barbs, we may have done ours differently.
It was our decision not to buy the full version of the Carette. We wanted to save $100 thinking it was no big deal to occasionally drain it ourselves, Had we known that the hour meter was not included in the basic model, we would have chosen the full version. Joe said that he would add this information about the basic version to his website.
I just created a new post with more pictures and a YouTube video link.

I'd recommend getting a vibration activated hour meter that you can attach to the outside of your switch box if this is a feature you'd like to add. They are inexpensive. Check out Ebay and Amazon or Google it. 

"Centercut"I use this one. Works like a champ. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011JCYYSG?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
I like that one better! I was able to cancel my order before it shipped, so I ordered this one. The other one didn't say you could reset the hours. The description on this one says: 
  • Partial hour meter can be reset for maintenance intervals, etc.
What does "partial" mean? Can you reset it to zero after you change the compressor oil? 

To all the Alpha-carette owners: now that you have run them a few hours, are they still a good buy? The reason I ask, I am struggling with the decision. I am 70 and shoot a lot during the summer (about 6 months), and fill my tank a couple times a month at my dive shop for $9. So if I get the package for about $1800 that means it will take about 16 years before it pays for itself. Not sure how much healthy life I have left.