• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Almost lost interest in the .25 vulcan

First please excuse my grammar and punctuation! I just barely stayed awake enough in english class to pass. HAHA! So after 4 months of ownership I started to really get discouraged with my Vulcan. It seemed no matter how well I cleaned the barrel it would no longer hold groups very well. It went from 1/4-3/8 inch groups at 65 yrds to 1 inch plus. I ran it across the chrony and compared the results with the first time I ran it across a few months back. Everything was really close and in fact the ES was now tighter. I gave up and was about ready to send it to Ernest but because I am a huge procrastinator I just put it away. So I picked up the .25 Mrod again and found myself wondering why I bought the Vulcan because the Mrod is a laser 1/4 inch at 65yrds and 1inch at 100yrds. I quickly realized that the shot count was the primary reason for the Vulcan. A couple weeks went by and I ordered a tin of AA 25.4 diabolo fields. I shot them from the Mrod and they are the same as the JSB kings. Then I dusted off the Vulcan like magic my groups were back to their original size. Then tried the JSB kings and the groups sucked again. Could I have just gotten 4 tins of less than par pellets?
Is the Chez barrel of the Vulcan just that fussy?
All I know is I am using AA for now on in the Vulcan!!

Reactions: ajshoots
My .25 Vulcan was having an issue with the POI shifting, I found that my scope was the issue, or rather the mounting screws for the mounts were not maintaining the torque. I then applied some non perm loctite and re-torqued, then left it alone for 24 hours. I did that over 3 months ago and have had no further issue. I also had a POI shift early on due to the added silencer, but that was self correcting over time. I might note that I have never cleaned the barrel. There seems to be a difference in school of thought on this so to each their own obviously. I have approx 2000 rounds thru mine at this time. I have heard some of the guys say they have to put several rounds thru the barrel after a cleaning to get it back to being consistent, if that helps? I do switch between the AA and the JSB 25.4gr and have found that I prefer the AA pellets, but that is only because they are a little more consistent between tins. ( I will admit I have not shot enough tins to make that a full blown declaration, just a trend at this point.) The JSB's have shown to be somewhat inconsistent between tins, but we are only talking about POI shifts of about .2" at 35 yards. I'm kinda being picky but the AA's have shown so far to be a little more consistent.

From the research I did on the CZ barrels the conciseness was that they are a pretty forgiving barrel and not that fussy, I have only shot the JSB's the AA's and some Benjamin pellets thru mine, and POI was acceptable with all three, so I hope this helps. Tighten everything up, the shroud, the silencer if you have one, dope up the mounting screws on the scope and see if it makes a difference.

Thinking about it, did you swap scopes from your Mrod to your vulcan by any chance? You might have a internal scope issue as well not being able to hold POA?
Good luck and keep us informed.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me but the problem was the pellets I am sure. There isn't anything in the path of the pellet except the intended target. I have checked down the barrel and it is fine. there isn't any signs of pellets clipping. All have their own scope because I hate switching between them. It is fine now shoots like it should boringly accurate at 35yrds. I shoot the heads of roofing nails at 65yrds and chicken eggs at 100yrds. I just wanted to share the experience with everyone.