• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Alabama Bushy tails 2

I’m blessed and was able to get out again today, different location. Awesome midday hunt! This time with my Taipan Veteran in 22.

7B031383-6BE9-409E-BD29-3D7EC6A862C4.1605131163.jpeg

1 Short of the Alabama limit again!!

Intenseaty, what’s up man...It is a great gun....I love its consistency and trouble free construction! My little baby is no match for Deadpool though!!

Same ol same ol over here my friend. Trying to keep up with you 😂, that’s some good hunting right there. Ha! I’m sure your Taipan can keep up just fine, only difference with mine is aesthetics. I’m trying to set up for filming some of those shots with it. Will put together a short video when I have enough footage. 

Blackpaw,

When I got back into air guns, post my teenage years, in 2015 I was lucky enough to be influenced by a few long timers that lead me to the Vulcan and Taipan. Ive had no issues with either of these guns (4 years with Vulcan and now 2 + years with taipan) to cause me concern. I do understand that its time for o-ring and maybe mechanical issues.....I shoot a lot, but no issues to date that I have not been able to resolve simply. Being transparent here I have never owned any FX, Daystate, Kricket or any other airgun other than the Vulcan and Taipan, so I guess my ignorance is blessed as it relates. None the less I happy and the pellets are finding their target regularly from my Vulcan and taipan. Got a L2 from Edgun on the way and am perplexed what I should sell if any. Right now I’m content on keeping all the guns unless the L2 is so good that either the Vulcan or taipan become useless to me, if that occurs then I sell them for what ever I can get, but that will probably be a 2021 or 2022 decision.

I suspect it may be a range issue. Let's see if the Leshiy 2 performs at long range the way you can rely on your Vulcan and Taipan to do -- let us know! If you only ever shoot shorter range, the question becomes more complicated on one level, comparing spec to spec, and maybe even more emotional on another -- like ... which one has your heart or tickles your buttons a bit more ... or if you want to bring it down to earth back again ... which one feels more ergonomic and like your best buddy doing the same task.

Cool let us know + ... pics?

I'd love to know how you are getting along with your new gun. I have never been in a hobby like this before, but I am turning to the opinion that it is all about exploring and buying and trading to get what you want. My natural instinct is researching enough that you know what you want(impossible especially considering ergonomics) or ... learning later and selling off what you got , never buying anything used. (Future shotgun marriage couples, look and learn.) But if you get reliable sellers and buyers, this is more of an upgrade hobby than I ever would have dreamed before hanging around it for a while. Buying used is not just tremulously okay, but pretty par for the course. You just have to be reasonably careful but ... upgrading and changing around is the natural course of the hobby.

I hope you settle into what you find. And understand if you still feel like trading or adapting, or even modifying what you find. This hobby can blow all the doors off what a person can expect, or expect what the rules or rules of thumb are. That can make it pretty crazy and pretty fun at the same time, especially when you realize some of the nuttiness in what the perfect gun is has nothing to do with anybody or anything but you. :D !!!

Dingfelder,

Really only need 1 gun for fun. Problem is you only need one, but you REALLY like the 1st and the second. I do not know for sure but I imagine its like you marry a person...and then someone that might be better....then again find another that might even be better so you keep going. In the end you end up with three guns and a lot of wasted $$$. As is the case with new lovers I guess...really don’t know been married 28 years. Just pontificating I’m glad its Airguns and not Spouses...I can get rid of the extra airguns and get some $$ back, if I REALLY like the new gun when I receive it. It will be next year before L2 shows up for me.

Beach-gunner was just wondering are the squirrels mainly on the ground there like they r here in ky this time of yr ? My kill/shot percentage always goes down some when they r on the ground just as u shoot he moves his head or the pellet nips a small twig out through the woods, but that makes it more challenging. R limit here is 6.

Good hunting 

Tba,

I’ve noticed that it depends on when and where I’m hunting.

Regarding when: in the early Fall (in Alabama the season starts September 15th) I find that the Squirrels are busy in the tree tops after the green nuts as there are not many on the ground, this goes on through mid October here. This changes as the season progresses and the nuts are falling on the ground. Also later in the season as Winter is approaching they are also gathering nuts from the ground to eat and store for later. I find that Early morning is best because they are hungry, its low light they cant see as well. I generally hunt with rising Sun to my back, so heading from East to West when I move and they cant see me as well. I also wear a face mask and gloves...as if I were Turkey hunting.

Regarding Where I hunt. One of my favorite places to hunt is in the Mobile Delta WMA. This is a River overflow area...true Bottom land...During the rainy season January, February, and March, this area is under 1 to 8 feet of over flow water. In even during Hurricane season this area can hold flood water for 1 or 2 months. The Squirrels there have no choice but to remain in the trees the majority of the year and have adapted. I also hunt in another area that does not have areas that flood...its just Hills and Hollows, there I find them moving through the trees at day break and working their way to the ground to gather nuts so my hunting style is a little different.

In all my hunting scenarios I get to where I want to hunt very early in the morning before Sunrise so that I can get there without spooking the Squirrels (they have great eye sight and hearing). The morning woods are soooooooo pretty as the sun rises.

Beach-gunner

Dennis.

Tba,

I’ve noticed that it depends on when and where I’m hunting.

Regarding when: in the early Fall (in Alabama the season starts September 15th) I find that the Squirrels are busy in the tree tops after the green nuts as there are not many on the ground, this goes on through mid October here. This changes as the season progresses and the nuts are falling on the ground. Also later in the season as Winter is approaching they are also gathering nuts from the ground to eat and store for later. I find that Early morning is best because they are hungry, its low light they cant see as well. I generally hunt with rising Sun to my back, so heading from East to West when I move and they cant see me as well. I also wear a face mask and gloves...as if I were Turkey hunting.

Regarding Where I hunt. One of my favorite places to hunt is in the Mobile Delta WMA. This is a River overflow area...true Bottom land...During the rainy season January, February, and March, this area is under 1 to 8 feet of over flow water. In even during Hurricane season this area can hold flood water for 1 or 2 months. The Squirrels there have no choice but to remain in the trees the majority of the year and have adapted. I also hunt in another area that does not have areas that flood...its just Hills and Hollows, there I find them moving through the trees at day break and working their way to the ground to gather nuts so my hunting style is a little different.

In all my hunting scenarios I get to where I want to hunt very early in the morning before Sunrise so that I can get there without spooking the Squirrels (they have great eye sight and hearing). The morning woods are soooooooo pretty as the sun rises.

Beach-gunner

Dennis.

I also do best at pesting during the early morning hours with the sun at my back. Certainly because of the same reasons you pointed out. I have Oaks, Pecan, and Walnut trees either on or bordering my property, so targets are abundant at times.

This is only the first summer I've been after squirrels, so will take your guys advice to come from the direction of the sun if I can. My initial thought was, wouldn't that silhouette you? But I guess not.

I do find them most active in the morning, so far. They haven't eaten for a while, and our summers are so hot they probably want to wait out the worst of the heat. Around here they often come out toward the late day for another round of meals.

Re how many guns you have, I think I will always want more than one. The .25 for squirrel hunting and the .177 for uber cheap shooting. Maybe a .22 too, and I have one now, but it's more of a luxury.

Dingfelder, to avoid silhouette make sure you are sitting by a big tree when you can, one that is wider than your body. Take a look at the videos that I posted of a deer encounter in “Alabama Bushy Tails #3”. Context: I was sitting by a big tree to avoid silhouette, deer was about 50 yards at start of vids and walking towards me. You’ll notice when she got a little spooky at 15 yards, but still could not make me out...because of no silhouette! Fortunately the wind was in my face at the time. In the subsequent vids the deer moved too my right to get a better sniff, but she had a problem seeing me then because of the Sun. When she moved to my right, she would have seen mi silhouette if the sun had not been shinning in her eyes.

Beach-gunner

Dennis