• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun Recoil?

I’ve mothballed my bolt guns because of recoil sensitivity issues stemming from neck and back surgeries. As a result I’ve been gravitating more towards airguns and now I’m even starting to think that I might be primarily an airgunner. I’ve been reading up on the higher caliber airguns. They look tempting, but I’m guessing that they have similar recoil to their firearm bolt gun equivalents. Any reason that’s not true?

At the low FPE end, like with field target rifles, I’m curious if there is a need to implement recoil management techniques, like free recoiling. Any thoughts there?

I’m not familiar with the big bore guns but I have PCP rifles from 17 up to 30 caliber and the recoil is minimal less than a 22 rim fire. I also have a 17 springer you have to use a different holding procedure so the gun doesn’t move until the pellet leaves the barrel but the recoil is a bit more but it’s going away from your shoulder not into it. 

PCP's have more of a soft push, where as PB's have a hard jerk...even at equal energy levels. HTH. Good luck, I highly recommend starting small and growing into the hobby, but without a doubt PCP's are the creme of the crop. I recommend getting a used SCBA tank with time left on the hydro (make sure the seller clearly advertises the expiration date and that there is decent time left on it, 3~ years minimum, the price can range from 100~ to 300$) and fill station on eBay for fairly cheap(40$~), and a local source to fill the tank. Then research the entry level pcp's in your price range after accounting for the already mentioned gear, and go from there! Good luck.

I also have a 17 springer you have to use a different holding procedure so the gun doesn’t move until the pellet leaves the barrel but the recoil is a bit more but it’s going away from your shoulder not into it. 

There is no way you can prevent a spring gun from moving before the pellet leaves the barrel. The initial recoil, due to the release of the piston, is rearward and is in fact, into your shoulder. Then there is the forward "recoil" due to the stopping of the forward motion of the piston both causing movement of the gun before the pellet leaves the barrel. This is why spring guns are a challenge to shoot accurately and consistently. One way to achieve this is to hold the gun in such a way that is more easily repeatable, shot after shot, such as the so called artillery hold. I personally don't use that method. You have to experiment to find what works best for you. Using the artillery hold can however, reduce the affect of the impact into your shoulder from the initial rearward recoil. To see proof of the double recoil, go to time 0:38 in this video of mine. Keep an eye on my shoulder and then half way down on my shooting stick. First, my shoulder takes the hit, then, a split second later, you will see the forward recoil causing the stick to bow. And this is a medium power, 16fpe, gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2CTik7E3kM

The largest bore air rifle I’ve reasearched has about 400 FPE. By comparison, a .308 powder rifle has about 1200 FPE. I’m guessing the 400 FPE metric might be comparable to a subsonic 300 blackout in terms of recoil, which I think is too much for me even in a semiauto, but so much depends on the weight of the rifle. I can handle a semiauto .223 14 pound rifle well enough. It’s so hard to predict what it will feel like, and it is difficult for me to try before I buy. I’m sure a field target rifle will be fine, so that’s probably my next purchase. I’m still curious if free recoiling a field target rifle is advisable.