• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun gift for a one armed Vietnam vet?

I wanna give a one armed pal a airgun. It can be pistol or rifle. What do you suggest as possible options? He lost all of his arm when he got shot. There is no stump to assist with shooting sports.

He lives in a different stae so he can't try out stuff in my collection. PCP is not an option. CO2 is a option as well as fairly easy to cock piston. He will shoot rifles from a bench rest and for standing a tri-pod.. His overall health at 73 years is very good. He's quite fit.

TIA

DonC

What are his physical capabilites? Can he cock a springer or gas piston model or would he better be served with a CO2 type. My thinking is that with one arm hand IF he candle a barrel cocker that would be the route to go. The reason I say barrel cocker is that the breech end of barrel is more exposed and easier to insert pellet, probably important if handling everything one handed. A rifle will probably require a rest, either a bench type or a shooting stick type, to support the forearm in a standing position, handgun, shoot one handed easily. Any spring air or gas piston, a rifle will be easier to cock, simply due to more leverage. I have an old FWB 300 target rifle that a six year old can cock, and then a Diana 54AirKing Pro, that takes a lot of effort from me.

Do you have anything he can try, or maybe some friends, with different types of actions.

As a vet, no disability problems other than hearing loss, I applaude you for your concern and compassion.

Crosman 2300s match target co2 Pistol has pellet friendly Lothar Walther barrel nice adjustable rear sight and a convenient power adjuster. Air guns of Arizona and Crosman direct with discount would have been cheaper but they are out of stock

$269.99

https://utahairguns.com/crosman-2300s-silhouette-c02-air-pistol/

If you rather cheap out to save $120 then the similar 2300t Pistol with not as nice sights and no power adjuster and in house made Crosman barrel if precision hole in hole match grade accuracy is not a priority and only used for tin can and in formal plinking at closer range. Not as pellet friendly. 

$148.50.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/co2/crosman-2300t-target-co2-pistol/

These places are likely the cheapest places to buy the guns that show in stock.

Buy the pellets local what's available. If only wanting to shoot close range 5 yards up to 10 or 15 yards RWS Meisterkugeln 7.0 grain or Crosman wad cutters tin or in bulk milk carton pretty cheap.

Or probably Crosman Premier Hollow points for mid range 15 to 30 yards.

And if shooting farther distance might want to specifically try 7.4 grain Crosman pointy they shoot extremely accurate in my Lothar Walther barrel Crosman 1701 past 40 yards. I have read complaints the heavier 7.9 grain Crosman Premier pointy to stay away from due to inaccuracy and may get stuck in the barrel.

I also find the dome hollow point and lighter pointy to have less resistance when closing the bolt compared to wad cutters. That may be helpful too when loading one handed.

The Daisy hollow points seem to shoot okay too up to 20 or 25 yards.

If you want to be really generous then include a better than average dot sight like a Burris Fast Fire 3 with 3 moa dot and 11 mm adapter to mount.