• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air only gas that can be used?

You can also use Nitrgen, if you have an air gas supplier nearby you can look at a 6000psi tank lease for your filling options. You will need a good set of valve and gauges to put on that tank if you go that route. Lots of fills using this but it's a heavy setup and you may need them to deliver it for you. Some people go this route but it's because they are already setup for these types of tanks. It's kind of a pain if your not setup for it though. I read where someone was using Helium but I would not recommend this as a power source because your gun may not be built to withstand that much power it could turn into a major safety issue.

A few quick points about pressed gasses for PCP.

#1. NEVER USE OXYGEN 

#2. Nitrogen makes up about 78% of atmosphere at sea level.

#3. Helium or other inert gases are safe to use, but will have different effects due to their molecular size. Helium is very reactive due to smaller molecules, making valve design much more critical. Helium use is expensive, although the power output is remarkable. If you think leaks in a PCP using nitrogen are a pain...helium PCP will leak even worse.

a lot of big bore Air gunners use Compressed Helium, helium does not come in bottles at the high pressures we normally use for PCP's, it has to be recompressed to 200 to 300 bar, so it's not widely used, it will give more power at the same pressures of Air due to it's molecular structure (it expands more at low pressure), most use a Yong Heng type or a Shoebox secondary high pressure compressor to recompress the Helium from it's normal bottle pressure to High PCP usable pressures using SCBA tanks.

Yeah, the helium advantages are fascinating. Frankly it's out of reach for any lite experimenting. Takes a lot of time and effort to really take advantage between modding a compressor and rifle.

Nitrogen has its own advantages, (always humidity free!) and requires no changes to rifle, with the added benefit of being available at 6,000 psi in huge tanks. The only requirements being the source and care/storage of the big tank, and purchase of the correct valves to transfer that 6k psi to your buddy tank at 250-300bar, or your rifle.

Yes, nitrogen. Your compressed air is already 78% nitrogen so another 22% is not that big of a stretch. I have been using compressed air filled by my local welding supply shop but compressed air is a pain. First, the shop has to have a compressor to fill the tanks which in my case are 444cuft capacity at 4500psi. The tanks need to be hydrostaticaly tested, and my were when I bought them and the tanks are stamped with the certification as well as on the paperwork. Next you will need the proper valving for the tanks, which for compressed service is the cga347 valve. The output of the valve can the be adapted for your fill station. But I would not advise just a Jill station setup since that does not have a regulator. I, instead have a Harris regulator good for 5500psi input and I can dial up any pressure I want on the output. So in my case I set my regulator for 250bar and I can feed directly into my gun or a smalle pony tank. However, the disadvantage of compressed air is the filling shop has to have a compressor. In an area like central ohio, it's hard to find a reliable dive shop or even a welding shop, mine ships my tanks to another welding shop that has a new compressor, that you can depend to fill a tank as big as mine. Another disadvantage of compressed air is it loves to hydrate itself with moisture which is a constant problem. Because of the problems with compressed air I will be switching over to nitrogen, which can be filled at my local supplier w/o shipping my cylinders to another shop. So how does the welding shop accomplish the nitrogen fill at the shop is that these facilities have liquid nitrogen in bulk storage tanks and filling is very easy without the need for compressors and nitrogen is more inert than air and does not attract moisture, it is completely dry. All I have to do is put different valves on my tanks and a different adapter for my regulator. Now how long can I go before I need to refill my tanks. Well u do the conversion between 444cuft and a 580cc airgun tank, you'll be blown away. Why Iam a presently going this route, just look at all the compressor videos out there, what a hassle they are. Fill for my tank-$40 per tank.

Just seen the video bout helium. Now why would u choose helium. Think about it folks. The atomic weight of helium is almost 1/4 that of nitrogen. So which one do u think would propel an object faster at the same pressures? Second helium is expensive. Nitrogen cheap. I can only surmise that if u had a stake in the compressor market than maybe u would do the helium thing. Do ur own research.

Or save time and money and go to your local welding supply store, get your regulator hose and fittings to go with the tank your getting from them, and either rent or buy then feed nitrogen to your compressor and enjoy moisture free guns that shoot faster.

Like this
PXL_20210816_191023304.1647804290.jpg

U don't need a compressor for nitrogen, just a tank, regulator and fill hose of some sort. The whole reason for going this route is to avoid all the hassles of a compressor. Tank is filled by your local welding shop. And in some cases, if u rent a tank from them and their truck can deliver to ur residence then most of the heavy work is taken care of by them.

Elwoodblues, please explain the need for a compressor for nitrogen , when 6,000 psi bottle are available for rent? I thought that was one of the main advantages?

@CyberDyneSystems Good question. I’ve read a thread were some members were discussing use of a booster pump to get more nitrogen out of the bottle as opposed to only using it to around 2800-3000 psi then exchanging it for a full tank. Perhaps this is what the compressor is for in his scenario, but honestly do not know what he’s doing here. 

After looking at his photo that looks like what he's doing cause the pressure gauge on the tank looks like a relatively low pressure compared to a 4500psi tank. If that's the case then if you already have a compressor then after your tank gets down so low say bout 220 bar then hook up compressor, suck the tank down as many fills as you can. Now I do see some advantages here. Number one, if between say 100 and 220 bar the compressor doesnt have to work as hard to get a 250 bar fill; two, u never have to worry about moisture in the nitrogen but u still need to worry about oil from the compressor so filtration maintenance is still required. U do need some check valves in the compressor circuit. Also, as the compressor sucks that higher pressure out of the tank, the nitrogen will cool down substantially as it goes into the compressor which is a good thing. But this is only if you already have a compressor and your tubing and hoses on the input side of the compressor can handle high pressure as well. 

I don't feed high pressure to the compressor just 6-8 psi , the compressor just fills guns in this setup. the tank is a 125 cf bottle that i bought for less than 200 dollars, regulator is an old oxygen reg I had laying around they are less than 100 bucks. The best part is no Oxygen,C02 no moisture no detonation in the compressor. That GX-CS2 has 11.8 hours on it and still going strong and so far no oil in the filter in the gauge block. refills on the tank are about 20 dollars, I've only filled it twice. 6000 psi tanks are very heavy and cost alot more to rent and fill a std 6000 psi industrial costs about 85 bucks to fill, the tank weighs over 400 lbs an adjustible regulator for 6000 psi runs over 500 dollars the tank has a total of 484cf of which more than 150 cubic feet will still be in that 6000 psi tank when it no longer can fill your gun.