• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air force texan accuracy-need help

When Texas decided to allow air rifles for large game, they put in a minimum of 215 fpe.

Making the 99gain from the the Texan an illegal rifle to fire at a white tail.

Yep. At least in a SS. Maybe not with a regular Texan. And we know from Brian’s trip to my farm in Florida, the 99 grainer sub 215fpe is a perfectly capable deer round. But, that’s Texas’ problem unfortunately, not mine. I’m free to hunt with what I want here as long as its .30. 

I recently bought a texan 457..I found the barrel to be to thin for the caliber..if the 357 and 308 are the same..to keep the weight down..that is why your need to keep playing whit the bullet weight and fill pressure..if the barrels were thick enough 1"..they will be heavy but laser acurate..airforce should offer like with the condor a bull barrel and the thin barrel for hunting.will try to carbon sleeve the barrel to se how it work, will do the same with the 308 when it arrives...in the to fastforyou YouTube video you dont se a jumping gun, it only recoil little back ,because the bull barrel weight down the gun..I don't se the accuracy I want I know the heavy barrel is the solution..

I also am having a hell of a time taming this .308 Texan ss of mine.

I know this is a late response but I wanted to share some of my findings on the what my gun seems to like.

First off my gun loves Hatsan 30 cal. pellets . At 40 Yards it can and does often do 1/2 inch groups. I have shot many squirrels in the head at 40 yards with this pellet. But keep settings low... very low.... I seem to get best results with 2400 psi. and power wheel just set at holes barely touching the left side of the setting window.

I have tried everything.... I want to cast instead of buy slugs.. tried all kinds of molds, found this gun is very good with .31 round ball , a lee mold. 

I am having some luck with 113 grain lee mold.... other than this I am having trouble finding the just right slug...

If you find anything please advise me your results.... for I am about nuts with this gun... I know I have to find the right slug.... but if not, the round ball is accurate and fun

Well I have the 357 carbine. It performs to my satisfaction at 50 yards. But has to much drop with 150 grain rounds at 100 yards. 10 inch drop to be precise. I've been debating getting the 34" barrel. ( If I do get the 34" what do I need to make it accurate at 100+ yards) But before spending 280$ on a the long barrel is there anything I can do to the 24" barrel for that much money....in order for it to effectively reach out to 100 plus yards. 

bilydjann ...the problem is that many of us don't slug the barrel to have the exact measurements of the bore..me personally need to learn how to .. I have my 308 almost finished to big bottle n heavy spring....take my .25 cricket as a example it shoot good almost with everything jsb n light slugs .but I don't want good..I want perfect ...I didn't shoot perfect after trying everything..it likes to perfection 25 acp cast bullets...so the whole swaying is the best way that's bullsc%$=@×#...my .257 shoots cast bullets better than sway bullets .. my .22 24" condor barrel shoot perfect..40g boat tails..who is shooting 40g from a condor..when I say perfect I mean seen a iguana 140y away poin to the head n shoot..iguana goes down .. that killzone is 1 1/4 at 140y one shoot one kill...hope to be able to tune the 308 and find what it likes. 

My standard length Texan .308 shoots 1" at 100 yards and 2.5" at 200 yards consistently. It did not shoot that good out of the box. My gun is 100% stock except for the Mad Dog Ultima stock. All internals are original. Here's my 'setup':

Bullets (home cast):

110 grain Arsenal flat nose gas check

108 grain Lachmiller hollow point gas check

154 NOE BBT boattail

145 NOE BBT hollowpoint boattail

Bullets (purchased)

NSA 127 grain .309

These bullets have performed admirably, Depending on the conditions each have their strengths. The best are the two smaller ones followed by the NOE boattails. The biggest thing is sizing them to .309 and using 10 wt. RC shock oil to lube. This little (well known) trick more than doubled my accuracy and makes the barrel (essential for Texans) a breeze.

Air pressure/power wheel:

Power is at about 4/5's. When the power gets low it will not shoot the big bullets well at all. Air pressure is best between 2900 and 2500. I get 4-5 good shots on a 3000psi fill. When doing groups from the bench I'm tethered 99% of the time for consistent results.

Shooting pellets out of a Texan doesn't work, and really what's the point anyway. There are way better pellet shooters and even a stock Marauder will do better at 50 yards. If you buy a Texan you are buying a slug shooter, period. Don't waste time and tuning trying to get pellets to shoot.