• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms Pro Sport #986

No doubt the best part of this hobby is the friends we make along the path. Today I was able to pass this excellent early example on to Fishing43 (Greg Fulk). I love the classic lines and high comb of these older Pro Sports. He is an excellent curator of his guns and will no doubt do better justice to this one than I did. I only replaced the seals and spring. I never did put a scope on it for fear of causing its first scratch. Greg will undoubtably shoot it as it should be enjoyed! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
Cheers.

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4950.JPG

No doubt the best part of this hobby is the friends we make along the path. Today I was able to pass this excellent early example on to Fishing43 (Greg Fulk). I love the classic lines and high comb of these older Pro Sports. He is an excellent curator of his guns and will no doubt do better justice to this one than I did. I only replaced the seals and spring. I never did put a scope on it for fear of causing its first scratch. Greg will undoubtably shoot it as it should be enjoyed! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
Cheers.

View attachment 346602
View attachment 346603

Absolutely beautiful and can’t wait to hold her. Thank you for letting me be it’s new caretaker. You are a great gentleman!

The 97-2000 are often considered the "Goldilocks" for the Pro Sports. This particular rifle has the needed improvements to the cocking lever/linkage and the second stock screws, but retains the shorter stroke and smaller piston seal. The stroke and seal changes appear to have happened sometime after Serial # 1000, which is why these are sought out. I have no direct evidence of this other than this gun and the things I have pieced together from other owners and the internet. I love the histories of many of these guns. It's up to us to keep the information updated and share what we see. For example, in the past couple of years I have learned that there are almost no hard rules for the building of the amazing Theoben guns. Every time we think we know something, we find out we have more to learn.

From the AIRARMSANORAK page on the Pro Sport...

Over the years there have been a number of mostly minor changes to the Pro Sport but unlike the TX200, Air Arms have not designated these changes with a new “Mk”. However, some of the changes have led to reference to 2 “Mk’s”.

Mid 1997 saw a number of significant changes to the Pro Sport with what is commonly referred to as the Mk2. Due to some issues with the under-lever cocking system the linkage was altered and the piston stroke length was increased. A heavier return spring was used to close the lever more positively. The action was now secured to the stock with an extra screw either side of the stock, just in front of the trigger.

Among the other changes over the years were minor alterations to the stock design and a change to the size of the piston seal around 2000.

Short update on the pro sport, first off it is absolutely beautiful! Had poi issues before I cleaning the barrel , adjusting the trigger to my liking and after trying different pellets and seasoning the barrel. We settled on fx 8.4. 5-10 shot groups ( depending on how many rounds I felt like putting in the groups lol) 1/2 inch groups at 25&40 yards,far from a technical shooting session but keep in mind that I’m a squirrel hunter . The rifle handles and shoulders well. If anyone is wondering about purchasing one, go for it! Thank you Lewis for passing along the rifle to me. Some may cringe knowing that she will be taken hunting. lol

Reactions: drpietrzak
Short update on the pro sport, first off it is absolutely beautiful!.

Some may cringe knowing that she will be taken hunting.
Not at all !
- I was actually wondering how someone could have such a nice rifle sitting in a safe (or box) and not use it?

Which scope did you put on it?

Not at all !
- I was actually wondering how someone could have such a nice rifle sitting in a safe (or box) and not use it?

Which scope did you put on it?
Hawke 4x12x40 , sportmatch dampa mount. Sweet shooter but I may bump it up to 14 fpe sometime. The stock fits me better than the tx but both are very nice.