• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Aim small, miss small

I believe I have identified an issue with my field target shooting. I was at the range today checking my dope since I recently reduced velocity a tiny bit. Nice warm day with no wind.
I was shooting the HW97 at 50 yards, seated and off the knee (WFTF style).

Here are my first 5 shots, checking the clicks and windage. Ignore the high shot, shooter error.
20230309_103131.jpg

I'll take 4 shots touching at 50 yards from a springer any day.

Then I checked the 10 yard clicks. No issues.

Everything looked good with the dope, so I decided to shoot some more 50 yard shots. The standard targets at the club have a little blank circle in the upper middle part of the target that measures about an inch across. So I decided to see how many times I could hit the circle in a row. One. One is how many times.

20230309_103135.jpg

Out of 8 shots, I had one clean shot in the circle. Between these two targets, I didn't get up, change pellets, get religion, lose religion, nothing. No changes. Same grip pressure, same level alignment. I didn't even get interrupted in the middle of shooting by a range master wanting to talk about Biden, motorcycles or the Gamo he used to have that would kill deer at 200 yards (happens more often than you would think).

The only logical conclusion I can come up with is that I apparently can't hit a circle. This explains a lot.

When I paint targets for the next match, I'll be drawing a little cross hair on every paddle. I'll report back after I clean the course at the next match.

Jeff, if you are reading this, I'm not really going to Sharpie a cross hair on every paddle.

Is Jeff gone? Because I am totally going to put a crosshair on every paddle in our target inventory. I'll say it's for the kids or the new shooters or something, but it's not for them. It's for me.

In all honesty, I think what happened is my old nemesis: crosshair fixation. I don't know if this is a real thing that other people struggle with, but I have to remind myself to look at the target not the crosshair. It's easy to focus on the target when I am aiming at the intersection of two fine, red lines. But when looking at a blank white circle (or a bright yellow kill zone), I don't have anything to focus on and my eyes get drawn to the crosshairs. I'm going to put a sticker on top of my turret that has a reticle inside a red circle and slash to try to remind myself to not fall into this trap.

This has been this week's episode of "Why does Scott suck". Join us next week, when we will discuss the merits of switching scopes/pellets/guns the night before a match.

I believe I have identified an issue with my field target shooting. I was at the range today checking my dope since I recently reduced velocity a tiny bit. Nice warm day with no wind.

Here are my first 5 shots, checking the clicks and windage. Ignore the high shot, shooter error.
View attachment 339219

Everything looked good with the dope, so I decided to shoot some more 50 yard shots. The standard targets at the club have a little blank circle in the upper middle part of the target that measures about an inch across. So I decided to see how many times I could hit the circle in a row. One. One is how many times.

View attachment 339220

Out of 8 shots, I had one clean shot in the circle. Between these two targets, I didn't get up, change pellets, get religion, lose religion, nothing. No changes. Same grip pressure, same level alignment. I didn't even get interrupted in the middle of shooting by a range master wanting to talk about Biden, motorcycles or the Gamo he used to have that would kill deer at 200 yards (happens more often than you would think).

The only logical conclusion I can come up with is that I apparently can't hit a circle. This explains a lot.

When I paint targets for the next match, I'll be drawing a little cross hair on every paddle. I'll report back after I clean the course at the next match.

Jeff, if you are reading this, I'm not really going to Sharpie a cross hair on every paddle.

Is Jeff gone? Because I am totally going to put a crosshair on every paddle in our target inventory. I'll say it's for the kids or the new shooters or something, but it's not for them. It's for me.

In all honesty, I think what happened is my old nemesis: crosshair fixation. I don't know if this is a real thing that other people struggle with, but I have to remind myself to look at the target not the crosshair. It's easy to focus on the target when I am aiming at the intersection of two fine, red lines. But when looking at a blank white circle (or a bright yellow kill zone), I don't have anything to focus on and my eyes get drawn to the crosshairs. I'm going to put a sticker on top of my turret that has a reticle inside a red circle and slash to try to remind myself to not fall into this trap.

This has been this week's episode of "Why does Scott suck". Join us next week, when we will discuss the merits of switching scopes/pellets/guns the night before a match.
I'm glad you posted this Scott. Another shooter and I, both of us new to shooting with scopes and experienced iron sight shooters, were wondering about this at last weekend's match. So, based on what you're saying, with a scope you focus your eyes on the target rather than the cross hairs? Opposite of shooting with iron sights, where you focus on the front sight and let the rear sight and target sort of blur out.

I'm glad you posted this Scott. Another shooter and I, both of us new to shooting with scopes and experienced iron sight shooters, were wondering about this at last weekend's match. So, based on what you're saying, with a scope you focus your eyes on the target rather than the cross hairs? Opposite of shooting with iron sights, where you focus on the front sight and let the rear sight and target sort of blur out.
That's what works for me. Think shotgun, not pistol. With shotgun shooting, you get the beads lined up on the rib but you don't look at the beads, you look at the clay target. Same idea with shooting with a scope. You aren't looking at the reticle with your peripherals, because the reticle is right in front of your eyeball, but it's kind of the same vibe. You are keeping laser focused on where you want the hole to appear and just keeping your eye, cheek, reticle and target lined up. The best way to figure it out is to shoot standing. You can't focus on the reticle when standing because it's juking all over the place. You focus on the target and wait for the reticle to be where you want it to be. It gets more difficult when you are shooting supported or off of a bench because the reticle doesn't move as much so you (or I) can have a tendency to focus on the reticle and lose contact with the target. Archery is another good example of focusing on the target instead of the pins. Or, hell, even baseball. Imagine trying to accurately throw a baseball while looking at your hand.

View attachment 339219

View attachment 339220

wonderful write up thankyou very much , ALL FT targets should have Square kill zones .😎

I guess I'll have to play around with "lazer focus on the target" and see how it works for me. One difference that didn't occur to me is that, at least for now, I'm shooting hunter class so I have to hold over. Seems like it'd be easier to just focus on the target if I need only put the cross hairs on the target. I'm thinking it'll be harder to account for holdover, especially standing, if I don't focus on the reticle. I'll try it and see how it goes.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I feel your pain man and have experienced the same problem - often and with different guns and scopes. Pretty sure it was a parallax problem caused by slight variation in head position from shot to shot. I experimented with eye cups hoping to get the same eye/Scope relationship every shot. My only conclusion was that I hate eye cups on springers. Kind of a Chinese water torture thing. Uj