• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Again with the POI shift

Looks like the WC is not immune to a few small problems of its own. I'm seeing some POI shift that is related to the psi in the tube. I say that because I can repeat it by filling to the same pressure. I get about 1/2" shift for about 8 shots, then it moves back to the original POI. Then down around 190 bar, same thing happens. 
So it looks like as the pressure in the tube changes, it is pulling on the bands and making things out of alignment. I have the gun locked down in my lead sled. It hits hole in hole @30 yards, until the shift.

I'm getting some clipping as a result. I pushed several patches though the barrel tonight and got metal flakes with the lead. It looks like aluminum.I haven't taken the shroud off yet to inspect the air stripper, but I bet it had nicks on it. Probably the baffles too.
This is a high dollar gun and it still has minor issues like this. It seems like the barrel and air tube may be tweaked a little in the brackets. We'll see how the insides look and I'll report further.

You can see the sparkles on the patch. It isn't focused, but you can see them at 9 and 3 on the patch. this is probably the 10th patch through and they are still coming out very dirty. So the barrel must have been black inside.
Crusher
9bacf2c6fc3b8ea2d1c840b3a655afb4.jpg

I just worked on getting shroud off so that I can check what is clipping. I heated the loctite area and started unscrewing the shroud but the end piece is not moving. Shouldn't this piece be part of the shroud? It is acting like it is connected to the barrel. When I rotate the shroud, this piece doesn't move. And, this gap doesn't look right. Something is wrong here.

9c2797547e42d40d1da7a5d5d5bf478a.jpg

That’s not press fitted into the shroud is it? That’s what it almost looks like. It looks like it’s work it’s way out a bit...appears that the threaded piece is pressed into the shroud and has worked it’s way out...if You would lightly tap it around the edge does it go back in?
It almost looks like the same principle of how a nock fits into a carbon arrow...

"crusher75060"I just worked on getting shroud off so that I can check what is clipping. I heated the loctite area and started unscrewing the shroud but the end piece is not moving. Shouldn't this piece be part of the shroud? It is acting like it is connected to the barrel. When I rotate the shroud, this piece doesn't move. And, this gap doesn't look right. Something is wrong here.

9c2797547e42d40d1da7a5d5d5bf478a.jpg
Same here with my Fx Wildcat .25. When I rotate the shroud, the adapter (the end piece of the shroud) doesn’t move at all. Does this piece connect to the shroud or the barrel?. Any ideas???

Crusher, on my wildcat .22 the end cap screwed directly onto the barrel which drew it into the shroud. Remove the end cap and then you can unscrew the shroud tube from the rear end cap which is fixed to the barrel using a set screw.

I think the wildcat is a great gun but to me it just doesn't feel like it can withstand any knocking around without poi shift (I didn't notice any poi shift with mine but I didn't knock it around either). My uncle owns a good deal of land near my house where I ride my dirtbike and there are some nice fields where I can shoot long range. I bought the wildcat for it's compact size, light weight and to toss in a backpack but I ended up selling it to get something a little more solid. It was an accurate, smooth shooting gun but felt a bit delicate. Just my opinion and I have heard others say the same.

Thanks for the input guys. So far, I see AoA videos taking the shroud off, but they DO NOT show removing the end cap.. Here is what I'm telling you. When I rotate the shroud, the end cap doesn't move. It does NOT rotate with the shroud. That means it is either connected to the barrel or to the air stripper on the end of the barrel. 
This is something NEW. The videos all over, show you remove the grub screw, heat the loctite and unscrew. It says nothing about the end piece. And it isn't moving. I guess I'll call AoA if I don't get the answer. Last time I sent a gun back to them it cost me $87 with insurance. That is a last resort for me.

Crusher

Crusher, the end cap is the air stripper and is only a press fit into the shroud. You have to unscrew it off the barrel and then unscrew the shroud tube from the rear cap. Also make sure your entire barrel isnt spinning in circles when trying to unscrew the end cap if so you need to tighten your barrel set screw again.

Aoa has a junk thread protector that they use so they can get vice grips on the end cap to unscrew it. A bad design if you ask me. They could have added some flats so atleast you could use a wrench on it. Also the rear end cap may nust be spinning on your barrel if the set screw loosened up on you.

Yes that threaded piece on the end of your shroud actually unscrews from the barrel (the muzzle is threaded for 1/2-20 unf) and at the same time pull out of the shroud. If you find the parts diagram for the wildcat you might be able to see it better. Im on my phone so cant post a picture. Its a pita for sure. Maybe if you put the thread protector back on and try gripping the whole end cap with a strip of rubber or something? Try to avoid using tools if you can, I used a strip of rubber and channel lock pliers on my rear cap and even then it marked the delicate finish.

I agree it should come with either a cross drilled hole or flat spots for a wrench or something of that nature.

Talked with AoA and I'm sending it back. I was told by their rep that it is impossible for it to be clipping. (ok) and that it was not possible to get any shifting of the POI because of the way the barrel is mounted. I'm not positive but I think he was implying it was me. Humm... maybe I should so him pictures of hole in hole for 10 shots with other guns. No we won't go there. They just need to either fix this thing or send me another one. This may have bearing on where my NEXT $2000 gun comes from. Good customer service is very important to me.

We'll see what their tech says it is. They gave me an RMA# and a return post sticker for the box. Booooooo... no gun for 2 or 3 weeks. 

Crusher

Good video jking. I've seen that one. Unfortunately that is an older gun. Maybe like a 2015. The barrel has the stripper screwed on, then the shroud goes over that. Then the endcap screws in. With mine, the shroud and endcap move independently. The endcap is connected to the barrel. Plus there is a little extension piece for the 25 making it longer. So this video has a ton of good info for other parts of the gun, but doesn't help with the problem at had. However, AoA is going to take care of it.

I took the Sumo off and put the gun back to stock. While I had it in my hands, I just decided to shoot it one time to be sure everything was back together right. Wow, I was NOT ready for it to be that loud in my shop. I forgot how well the Sumo works. I flattened 2 tree rats Monday in the yard. Hit the first one and the second who was about 5 yards away didn't run. He came over to see why his buddy was lying on his back. I put him right beside his buddy :)

I put maybe 60 rounds through the WC today. Since I cleaned the barrel and got all the metal flakes out of it, there is a definite improvement in tightening the groups. however I still get a slight shift. Don't even know how that is possible, but it is happening.
As I got to around shot 50, I noticed that my trigger was getting heavier. By shot 60 it had a very tight trigger. So the adjustments must be moving or something is coming apart.
I removed the stock, watched the video on adjustment (Thank you Mr. Rowe) and tried to adjust it. I found that at 1/4 turn at a time it just didn't get better. I figured, there is enough going on with this gun, I am going to have to just bite the bullet and send it back. I was hoping the cleaning was going to do it. No such luck. Into the big brown truck she goes. <sad face>

Crusher

"LabGuy"You did the best thing you could do. Maybe in the distant future, FX will learn how to make airguns.

Actually I still have the faith in this gun. It is a great shooting but it just needs a little tweaking. They make a pretty good gun. Some just have their own personal weirdness about them. Some are perfect. I'm still kicking myself for letting that Royale 500 go.
I think the walking pellets may not be because the barrel is moving, but something to do with the flight of the pellet itself. Maybe based on pellet speed. If it hadn't gone screwy with the trigger, I was going to try a fresh fill and 40 rounds with the 31g pellets and then the 34g pellets and see if the same thing happened. It might solve the problem. I think it was shooting the 25g in the 920 if I remember correctly. Could be too hot. 
With my Marauder 25, I had it up over 900 with the 25g and it walked all over the place. Slowed it down to about 860 and it is fine. Shoots one hole @30 yards if I keep it around 750-800.
AoA should receive the WC on Monday and then time to repair and time to ship it back. Maybe 2 weeks... I hope...