• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AF TalonP Accuracy Issues

I am having extreme accuracy issues with my AF TalonP. So here is my setup. 

23ci tank topped with a ring-loc Talonp valve. TalonTunes fluted breech with TalonTunes orings. 24” barrel with a DonnyFL adapter and a Ronin moderator. 

I purchased the AF ring-loc kit to add further adjustability. Now I’m overwhelmed. I have shot over the chronograph, thinking I had the perfect insert, pressure and power wheel setting. I was getting around 20 shots at 960-985 FPS using JSB heavies. I took it to the range and was grouping 1” at 25 and a shotgun pattern at 50. There are no signs of pellet clipping and the barrel is clean. Now I have so much adjustability and my head is spinning on where to start. I feel like I have 2 options. Sell the darn thing and wash my hands of it. I have a ton of money tied up in this and I’d hate to take a loss. I also am wondering if anyone has the time, for a price, to tune it for me? I am a dad of 4 kids under 8 with a full time job. Can I get some direction?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Make sure your tank is tool tight and not just hand tight. Number one cause of shotgun spray patterns in all AF guns I’ve handled has been the spin lock tank not tightened at tight as possible with the special wrench that comes with the gun. 

The point of the tank’s attachment to the gun is also the point where the frame of an Airforce gun will flex during the shot cycle. If the tank has any give, it will let the gun flex when fired. 

When I figured this out I went back to all of my and my brother’s AF guns and tightened the tanks down as tight as possible and they all became consistent tack drivers. 

Next time one of my tanks loosens up I’m going to experiment with some blue thread locker to see if that helps or not. 

Well, I found the issue and now the gun is driving tacks. There were multiple issues. The main issue is that pellets were clipping the moderator. I bored it out a bit and that solved that. Second issue is the pellets were traveling too fast. I toned it down a bit to about 950 FPS and all is well. Seems to like to 25gr over the 34gr. I'm sure I can tune for both, but the 25gr pellets were hole in hole at 25 yds so I'm happy with that. I also found the bushings were a bit loose and my tank wasn't all that tight. Thank you all for your help! I appreciate all the knowledge. 

Adam

Hi all, Stupid question time. I have an airforce talon ss. What is the “moderator”?

Moderator = suppressor.

Yours will be different than his. The OP has an aftermarket suppressor that fits on the end of the naked barrel or the gun chasis. 

Your SS’s moderator is the shroud that fits over the entire barrel of the gun. Yours came with it from the factory. The OP’s did not. That’s what defines the SS line of guns.