• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Advice you wish you had.

Do not cheap out on a scope. I bought an FX Wildcat and mounted a $150 scope on it and all it provided was frustration. I wish I had just spent the extra amount initially to get the $400 scope I have now. I can already see limitations in this scope and will probably be looking to spend closer to the $1000 range on a scope in the near future for my FX Impact that I have setup for field target. 

Another piece of advice would be to find someone near you who has experience with airguns. I know it was wonderful to have my friend Jimmy Fussel help me out when I got the .177 barrel for my Impact. He let me try out 15 different types of pellets that he had so I could find what shot the best before buying all the different pellets myself.

I would also say to look at what features you want in a gun. FX has lots of features, but admittedly some of them do look utilitarian. Daystate knows how to make guns with beautiful stocks, but they lack features like regulators, and have expensive magazine that hold minimal numbers of pellets. The Marauder is an okay beginner good, available at a good price, but doesn't have the same accuracy as some of the more expensive guns.

Every brand will have trade offs and you need to decide what you are looking for.

The Huntsman is an excellent choice, and was my 2nd air rifle. I've now had it 3 years, and use it to shoot matches every week, as well as occasional pest disposal. I wasted $ before that on a package: Nitro piston springer + crappy scope bundle; then I upgraded the scope (I gave it away when I got huntsman which I fitted with an Optisan Mamba Lite). All this could have been avoided if I'd started out with a decent rifle like the Huntsman.

By starting with a decent rifle, that potentially you can keep for many years, you are ahead of the game. As for advice: what do you plan to use the rifle for? Huntsman is an excellent small varmint rifle in 0.22, and decent for target shooting. Its no good for FT. Its no good for larger prey, or to be competitive in long distance target competitions (75 and 100 yds). The biggest issue is how will you keep it filled? You need HP air, preferably from a CF tank filled to 4500 psi. Depending on how you plan to use the rifle, and how much you shoot, go for either a 'guppy' sized 18 cu Ft tank or a 97 cu ft tank. The former is great for taking to matches, and in the field; the latter is better if you don't need a portable air source, or if you can see purchasing more weapons in the future (it happens). And ... you need some easy way to fill the tanks. 

Finally - scope and rings. Don't make my mistake and buy a cheap unit. The Huntsman is an accurate rifle and benefits from decent optics. Shell out once, and you won't waste $ upgrading later on.

Loved shooting my pellet gun as a teen. Discovered air gunning again in my 40's by watching Ted's videos....yes I'm sure many will blame him for our air gun addition and bliss! Thank You TED! I started back with a springer at $139, to see how much I would enjoy. Yelp just as much fun as when I was a teen! It only took 3 months for me to realize...I'm going all in...I purchased a Vulcan 25. I hunt rabbit a squriel often. Anyway about $4,000 later I now have: 3 very nice scopes, Marauder .22 (low cost PCP I purchased used at a very good price and I used it to learn about tuning and the inner workings of an modern air gun), Omega Super Charger compressor, 2 75 cubic foot tanks, 2 bipods. 2 field pods, a 22 Mutant Veteran, laser range finder. What else guys...did I forget something!! Yeah I'm Airgun SICK and I love it!!

You will need as mentioned good quality scope, consistant source of HPA, range finder....all a must for your full enjoyment of the sport. Go ahead and get the best PCP you are willing to afford, but definetly budget for the above mentioned must haves. Oh and be prepare to by many pairs of shoes, a few purses and jewelry for the wife...to grease the Wheels!!! LOL.

I wholeheartedly agree with the advice others have given. IMO, you need to go into this hobby with the knowledge that it is expensive, much more so than firearms. When I started out, I tried to do it on the cheap: Low-end non-regulated gun with a hand-pump kind of thing. I now have a high-end regulated gun (I just sold my FX Impact .30 and ordered the new RAW HMx .357: 130ft# regulated); a Hawke Sidewinder scope, an Omega 75 cu-ft 4,500 psi carbon fiber tank, and an Omega Air Charger. My point is, you're gonna get all this stuff eventually if you stay in the game, so you can actually save yourself a lot of $ and aggravation if you do it right the first time. Now, this is just my personal opinion; I'm sure there are some who are perfectly fine with a low power gun and a hand-pump, but that is usually just the first step I've noticed.

Having said all that, it is easy to Monday morning quarterback. Perhaps it's better to make your bones by progressing through the air gun experience and learn by trial and error. I know I learned a heck of a lot by taking my lumps :)