Advice on what to buy for first air rifle

"npunk42"Unless you're a tweaker I would skip the Marauder. There are lots of great choices in the 1200 dollar range, leaving you money for a pump and decent scope. My money would be on an S500. An S510 might be doable in that range too. Open the box, have a great time. With the Marauder, it might be open the box, shoot it, then try to figure out what's wrong with it. These forums are helpful for the most part but someone will always put the bug in your ear, "the problem is you".
I agree, did not notice the $1,500 limit, so scratch my suggestion on the Marauder. Air Arms (add a regulator) or a Daystate Regal ($1,200 new) or a used Royal, or other used solid proven rifles, since used not only for varmint control but target also.

srserl - Since I am a non-resident and non-USA citizen currently living over seas, but soon to be living in Vermont USA with purchased property in that state, I must produce 90 days proof of living in the USA. This can be utility bills, mortgagee payments, land tax bills etc and photo ID showing I am living in the USA. Here is one place I found the info: http://www.parros.com/faq.php

"fe7565"
"npunk42"Unless you're a tweaker I would skip the Marauder. There are lots of great choices in the 1200 dollar range, leaving you money for a pump and decent scope. My money would be on an S500. An S510 might be doable in that range too. Open the box, have a great time. With the Marauder, it might be open the box, shoot it, then try to figure out what's wrong with it. These forums are helpful for the most part but someone will always put the bug in your ear, "the problem is you".
I agree, did not notice the $1,500 limit, so scratch my suggestion on the Marauder. Air Arms (add a regulator) or a Daystate Regal ($1,200 new) or a used Royal, or other used solid proven rifles, since used not only for varmint control but target also.
The Royale line has had a price drop down to $1550 with a regulator standard.

First off welcome to America. Once here your best bet for trying different air rifles will be to attend a field target or benchrest match. There a a few clubs in ny state. One in salem ny holds both bench rest and field target matches throughout the summer. http://www.bcsportsmen.org/ft/Minutemen.htm
At the bottom of this linked page is a list of field target clubs in the northeast and calender of event. Come out to a match and try out a few different rifles before buying. Heck, you may find a good deal on a used gun from one of the shooters there.