• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Advice on a regulated .177 PCP

For 8 years I have shot .177 Discovery, .22, .25 Marauders and a JSAR .22 non-regulated Fortitude which is my favorite. They all have served me well and still do, however its time to do some thinning and move over to the dark side of regulated guns. I have a 4500psi air tank which I get filled locally at Scuba World here in Camden DE. Pesting is my main objective, mainly nuisance birds on farms. Looking for an ACCURATE, regulated .177 that's trouble free. I will be purchasing new. Thanks for your help.

I really like my FX Royal .177, it’s extremely accurate, regulated and has the power setting wheel with three different settings. Lots of shots per fill. The barrel did lead up and lose accuracy after a couple thousand shots, but a good cleaning and the accuracy was right back. It’s well balanced and a pleasure to shoot off hand. Have fun choosing!

1555856131_4408331735cbc7b035be284.90608500_0B4C27CC-A3B0-417B-89E4-3B176EBA50A6.jpeg

Not for everyone, but this is my .177. I have tuned it for pellets ranging from 10.34 to 16.2. I am now shooting the 15.5 grn NSA slugs. This is a higher power .177. On the current tune the slugs fly at 905 fps. The exact same tune pushes the 16.2 grn Beasts at 933. It is becoming my go to all round pesting rifle. BC on the slugs is approaching .07. They retain great energy for pesting beyond my effective shooting range.

For 8 years I have shot .177 Discovery, .22, .25 Marauders and a JSAR .22 non-regulated Fortitude which is my favorite. They all have served me well and still do, however its time to do some thinning and move over to the dark side of regulated guns. ............ Pesting is my main objective, mainly nuisance birds on farms. Looking for an ACCURATE, regulated .177 that's trouble free. I will be purchasing new. Thanks for your help.

I started, just like you, with a .25 Marauder and then a .22 Disco and several other PCP's and a springer (HW97K .177).

I bought a RAW HM1000 (Hunting Model in .177) 2 years ago and I have not really used my other guns since. I shoot Field Target but my RAW is laser accurate to 60 yards (I have not tried it past that), gets approx. 125 regulated (20 shot ES 11 and SD 2) shots a fill (480cc bottle) and shoots JSB 10.34 at 900 fps for about 18.5 FPE. Accurate and more than enough power for any of the small pests you want to eliminate. Hope this helps.

Gary
Venice, FL

I've owned several regulated PCPs now, and the only ONE that has not developed regulator related issues requiring service is my RAW TM1000. The RAWs are also top quality, SIMPLE, built like a tank, and will shoot with any PCP made.

1555904071_16572173325cbd36477bd790.01840746_TM1000.JPG

Aforementioned regulator related issues are the primary reason(s) the last hunting-type PCP I bought is a .22 Brocock Bantam HiLite that is unregulated, but uses a Slingshot hammer/valve system that gives near regulated performance and has been utterly dependable. Also available in .177.

1555904111_1295030675cbd366f8ebf03.58597822_bro-bantamhl177b.png

For 8 years I have shot .177 Discovery, .22, .25 Marauders and a JSAR .22 non-regulated Fortitude which is my favorite. They all have served me well and still do, however its time to do some thinning and move over to the dark side of regulated guns. I have a 4500psi air tank which I get filled locally at Scuba World here in Camden DE. Pesting is my main objective, mainly nuisance birds on farms. Looking for an ACCURATE, regulated .177 that's trouble free. I will be purchasing new. Thanks for your help.

If you are working birds and around buildings I can tell you from personal experience in dealing with starlings (or air rats) they are built pretty thin. And I have zipped more then one pellet clean through a bird and into my building, or (insert equipment here)....damage ranging from a dent to a clean hole.

What I have found if you are inside of buildings you need the ability to really dial down the power, for that I like MSP much more....slower and more mass has worked for me in the past.

Outside and if you know where that pellet is going to go if it does go through...is a big thing.

And yes the birds did drop, I know I hit them.

IMHO most pest birds are built very light, and you don't need a lot of power to put them down, you do need to be accurate however.

I'm looking for about the same thing. I wanted a rifle for off hand silhouette, so the target is at 40 yards. 

I have a couple AA 400/500 rifles, but the bell curve is tough against that distance, and naturally with my wobble on top. 

So I was thinking of sending one to Motorhead tuning for a regulator, or just selling it and getting a new AA XS regulated. 

What do you guys think of those choices for me an Polishassasin?