• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

About to jump into 50x

I had the Falcon for a while. Wanted to love it. Great glass and nice short DOF but the reticle was just too fine for my aged eyes (same story with the Midas Tac). While it has been said that the X50 and the SIII are very much the same, to my eye the SIII MOAH reticle is slightly bolder and usable under nearly all FT conditions (low light, dark target etc) but the X50 was not. Uj

I can't speak for Falcon, but I've owned 4 different Sightron S3s. They offer a wide variety of reticles which I'm sure you can find one that suits your needs. I did buy one with a fine cross hair for BR shooting. It is really fine. I should have gotten one with the center dot. Of them all, I like the MOA-2 or MOA-H reticle. Illumination? Don't waste your money. Only the center do is illuminated and it really isn't that bright in daylight. I think the Sightron's glass is great. Go on Sightron's website and look at all the reticle offerings.

I have a sample of each on hand right now. Have to say I like the reticle and smoothness of the Falcon more. Also, while using the SIII in a high heat match, I suffered a severe poi change and it has SEEMED to change poi with temp several times, but there are many factors which leaves that unproven. If you look on here thoroughly , you can find a couple of people who have measured it carefully and documented it. Do all do it... I don't know but I don't fully trust the one I have and the Falcon I have has been solid. Both have pretty darned good glass.

Another point for both... if you range with them (FT), the difference between 50 and 55 on a LARGE wheel is pretty small... less than 1/8" I think. On our old Bushnell Elite 4200s, it's twice that easily without any big wheel. They DO have a very small dof which can be pretty precise if used properly but I found that temps change during a match can skew this more than I'm used to with the 4200s. I've also found that I prefer leaving them both on about 40X rather than 50X for the clarity and brightness and ranging seems just as accurate .

I don't have a problem seeing the thin reticles, so don't usually notice unless it's fat enough to cover things up. That IS a good point, though.

Also , if it was my choice, I'd buy the LR version as it focuses to infinity and down to 11 yards. I HATE to be limited in how far you can see clearly on such a high mag scope.

Just some observations from my perspective...

Bob

I corresponded with Nick Watts at Falcon about a year ago asking him about the Field Target vs Long Range version of the X50 in their ability to range at 16X for hunter field target. He sent me some pics, see below, of the focus (at 16x) of both versions at 10 yards. As Arzrover stated above the LR version focuses to 11 yards plus there is the advantage of going past 100 yards, but it would still be doable for the 10 yard close shots in field target. Nick said there was some lighting differences in the camera shot that makes the long range version appear worse than it is at the 10 yards. He also told me he thought the long range version actually ranges a little better overall at 16x than the field target version. Keyman some of this may be irrelevant to you unless you shoot field target, apologies if so. Anyway - I have looked through the Falcon x50 at a FT march about a year ago and really liked it and felt the reticle was OK for my old guy eyes. I think it will be my next scope purchase one of these days....

Long range Falcon X50 at10 yards at 16x

falcon 9 vs 10 meter.1651005706.png

Falcon FT X50 at 10 yds at 16x

ft x50 9 meters.1651005873.png

I have several Sightron Slll's, and am happy with them, good glass for the money, compared to anything else. 

That said, I had a Falcon 10-50, and had the parallax fail miserably in a major Grand Prix match. I had over 2.5 inches spread on the sidewheel between 40 yards and 55 yards, it ranged well. Went up to the next box to shoot the lane, and my 40-55 yard distance on the wheel was less than .5 inch. Could not determine if it was 50 or 55, or 40 or 45. Something failed within the scope, never tried another. Just my experience. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Kinda late to the party but I'll share my thoughts.

These comparisons are always hard because there seems to be so much variation from one specimen of a supposedly identical scope to the next. Kinda like OEM barrels, SHOULD be manufactured to the same specs, but there are factory barrels that shoot much better than other factory barrels. Same gun, same caliber, but one will shoot lights out and the other is a flyer factory. Scopes are the same. One really good X50 next to a really bad Sightron, or vice versa, skews opinions-call it the statistical dilemma of N of 1 studies or comparisons. If a guy could look at 10 different X50s and then 10 different Sightron's it'd be a more valid comparison, but you're talking about $20,000 worth of scope there, so not many are ever going to be in that position. 

Anyway.....

I have an X50, one of the first few in the US. I think I've had it for close to 3 years now. (The earliest ones don't have a mark @ 16x but I've been told the more recently manufactured/imported ones do.)

I debated a high end (for me) high mag scope for field target for quite a while. Knew I was wanting to spend in the $$$ ballpark of the two scopes OP is considering, Sightron vs X50 so they were on my short list. Prior to pulling the trigger on the X50 I was fortunate to have the chance to look through a friend's X50 as well as the big Sightron at the same match, in the same light, at the same downrange items-about the best side by side comparison I could possibly think of. My conclusion was that they were both about equal in clarity, but the depth of focus was tighter on the X50 than on the Sightron. I also liked the reticle on the X50 better than any of the Sightron options. 

So, I bought an X50. And started winning monthly FT matches. This FACT is part of my argument that it's not always the indian when it comes to the philosophical debate of indian or the arrow. I couldn't win until I spent enough. Same shooter, but with capable equipment. That's an aside though.......

Back to the comparison of the X50 and the Sightron. When I first got the scope I wanted to gain confidence in it so screwed a section of pic rail to a block of wood that I ratchet strapped to a big heavy butch block in a place I could see out to my back fence (around 52 yards away at that house). I put that scope through everything. Cranked and twisted and box tested and let it sit out in the hot uninsulated garage. I could not induce any scope shift in how it ranges or tracks in that testing. 

Mounted it up and zeroed it. Tried a few more experiments with it left in the hot garage and also direct sun and couldn't cause any shift in range by focus or tracking. Also could not induce any problems. 

It lives on my serious FT gun and does what it should. I range at 50x and take my shots at 20x.

For the bad.......The comment above about it getting a bit dark and even hazy around the edges at 50x is true. It does stay clear in the middle of the scope though. The scope caps supplied with the X50 aren't very high quality. The supplied sun shade is also really thick aluminum and HEAVY. I don't use the sun shade b/c it's heavy enough to shift the balance of my gun in a way that I don't like. Also as mentioned above, the FT version (the one I own) is not the greatest for long range shooting-as distance increase, image quality goes down. It's useable for 100 yard paper punching, but not ideal. 

In summary, for the purposes I envisioned for a high power scope (field target) my specimen of the Falcon X50 has been superb.