A warning for Leshiy owners (Graphic)

"Marksman3006"Thats your right index finger isnt it....? I know you said ambidextrious but which side do you favor? I hope not right.
Hope you heal up well too. Every last one of us is human......mistakes happen. That is obviously a painful one. I can easily see how it happened too.
Correct, it's my right index finger, I was shooting left handed this particular shot and supporting the Leshiy with my right hand.
I learned to shoot right handed first, but when I got into traditional archery around age 12 I found that I HAD to shoot left handed because of my left eye dominance. At that time I started shooting firearms/AG's left handed as well. Honestly it's 6 one way and half a dozen the other for me. I tend to just switch back and forth based on what angle works best for each shot, so I'm lucky there.
I guarantee this won't slow down the pursuit of my shooting hobbies one bit, it's just going to make me take a little more time with each shot. I've shot a gun or bow pretty much every day of my life for the last 30 or so years, and with that amount of shooting I suppose there came some complacency. Complacency and potentially dangerous things are never, ever a good combo..

I have a B.B in the first joint of my index finger that has been there since I was a teenager.
To this day I have to say Nothing hurt as bad as that lapts into bad judgment. I swore it felt like a hot poker was being drivin into my knuckle bone for over a week. And that was from only one pump on an old daisy I had.
I feel for you brother and thank you for sharing.
I hope all will go well with your healing.

"Eric.G"It shattered my middle phalanx and destroyed the joint. I went to the hand surgeon today, the bone is in 10-15 pieces and I'm looking at a joint replacement if everything works/heals perfectly, or amputation if not. 
I want to be clear that I'm not blaming the design solely here, I made a really dumb mistake. I just want others to be aware and extra careful when out shooting their Leshiy's (or any gun for that matter). All it takes is that one second lapse in attention.
Sorry for what had happened to you but it reminds me what had happened to me about 5-7 years ago, when I was hunting with Lelay from the car. It was Lelya .22, I saw a crow on the top of a tree, I decided to shoot it though the roof hatch. I aimed to it, pulled the trigger, hear unusuall sound of the shot, the crow flew away, I put the gun on the back seat and move on driving. In few moments while driving I discovered some blood inside the car. My first thought was "I hit the crow anyhow and it flew over the car and some blood droped into the car through the hach! :) Then I realized that this scenario looks too fantastic :) I started to check myself up looking for what was wrong and found the whole in my middle finger on the right hand, which looked the same as on your photo (I am left handed shooter as well, due to my right eye is not working correctly). No pain, nothing, just a two holes in my finger. 

I went to hospital, they made the X-ray research and the surgeon started to clean the wound. He did it for 10 minutes and then I asked him "Hey, man, what are you looking for in there?" He is answered that he is looking for the fragement of the pellets as he's seen them on the x-ray picutre. I asked him to show me the picture, he gave it to me. I looked at it and said "You can look for nothing another hour but will not find anyting there! That is not the fragement of the pellet, that is just the graphite greese from the pellet, which looks like fragment! Stop stiring up my wound just sew it up!". He didn't answer anyting but finished very quicly. :)

So, the only thing I understood what that case was "That is not a toy! So, one need to consider it like a weapon in any case". Yes, the short bullpups, like Lelya, need to be taking care of the possition of the shooter's hand, but I never thought it is possible with Leshiy, as it length is 632 mm (EDgun Matador short is 680 mm.) and I always considered it as a "full size gun". You showed me that I was wrong.

My sympathy to you and the only thing I can wish to you and to the others, whatever airgun you use -- be carefull, even if it looks like a toy, that is not a toy and with the energy of 30-40 Joles is enough to have much more toubles in case of the neglect. 

I hope you will pass it trough with minimum loses and will remember it for the future (like I do).

With the best regards

Ed

"Eric.G"I' can't believe there wasn't even a single Christmas Story "You'll shoot your eye out" joke in the replies... Seriously though, Thank you for all of the kind words. It was a huge eye opener for Me. I'm just thankful that it was me and not someone else. I had my daughters out shooting the same rifle an hour earlier.
One more thing that really blew my mind. I had put out a brand new target before the shot and decided to take a look today. Sure enough, there was a hole about even with the bull and 4-5 inches to the left. Definitely was a tumbler, but I couldn't believe that the pellet went all of the way through my finger and still tracked straight enough to even come close to, let alone hit, the target that was set out at about 35 yards.
Flash is so soft, being wounded with bullet and pellets I know it :) Just or example. Seagul, 113 meters, at 17:00, just pay attention to the rickoshet on water after the pellet penetrated it trough

"EDgun"

I went to hospital, they made the X-ray research and the surgeon started to clean the wound. He did it for 10 minutes and then I asked him "Hey, man, what are you looking for in there?" He is answered that he is looking for the fragement of the pellets as he's seen them on the x-ray picutre. I asked him to show me the picture, he gave it to me. I looked at it and said "You can look for nothing another hour but will not find anyting there! That is not the fragement of the pellet, that is just the graphite greese from the pellet, which looks like fragment! Stop stiring up my wound just sew it up!". He didn't answer anyting but finished very quicly. :)

That's really interesting, they told me the same thing from looking at the x-ray. According to the dr. A"ring" from the base is still in there along with some other small fragments. I would have never thought about graphite showing up until your comment.

"EDgun"

So, the only thing I understood what that case was "That is not a toy! So, one need to consider it like a weapon in any case". Yes, the short bullpups, like Lelya, need to be taking care of the possition of the shooter's hand, but I never thought it is possible with Leshiy, as it length is 632 mm (EDgun Matador short is 680 mm.) and I always considered it as a "full size gun". You showed me that I was wrong.

My sympathy to you and the only thing I can wish to you and to the others, whatever airgun you use -- be carefull, even if it looks like a toy, that is not a toy and with the energy of 30-40 Joles is enough to have much more toubles in case of the neglect. 

I hope you will pass it trough with minimum loses and will remember it for the future (like I do).

With the best regards

Ed
I want to reiterate that I don't blame the gun or design. The mistake was definitely mine. But I did want to make everyone aware of it as I'd hate to see this happen to anyone else.
I've owned/own about every top tier brand of Airgun made since the late 80's and I consider yours some of the absolute best Ed. I think it's pretty clear to anyone that's been around PCP's for very long that The Matador was instrumental in the recent surge in the popularity of Airgun's and the proliferation of new companies, new designs etc. I have nothing but accolades and respect for you and your company.
Even after this incident, I'm still in love with the Leshiy. I've wanted a compact "backpackable" pcp with the power to take grouse-turkey sized animals for a long time and your design meets that need perfectly.

"Eric.G"
That's really interesting, they told me the same thing from looking at the x-ray. According to the dr. A"ring" from the base is still in there along with some other small fragments. I would have never thought about graphite showing up until your comment.
They just don’t have enough experience with airguns 
simple-smile.png
 In fact that is just obvious, as the lead pellets are labricated with the something like graphite and it is “heavy” enough to be shown as metall at the x-ray picture. If I haven’t stopped him searching for “fragments” I think my finger would be more damaged of sergeoury rather then of pellet penetration 
simple-smile.png
 That is good thing here that we all are the product of the Soviet eduacation and a surgeon is not surprised that a patient gives him advise on the topic a doctor is not proffy in 
simple-smile.png

"EDgun"
They just don't have enough experience with airguns :) In fact that is just obvious, as the lead pellets are labricated with the something like graphite and it is "heavy" enough to be shown as metall at the x-ray picture. If I haven't stopped him searching for "fragments" I think my finger would be more damaged of sergeoury rather then of pellet penetration :) That is good thing here that we all are the product of the Soviet eduacation and a surgeon is not surprised that a patient gives him advise on the topic a doctor is not proffy in :)
Yes, that's definitely not the case here in the U.S. The Doctors here are the infallible "experts" and unfortunately MOST of them give no credence what-so-ever to what you have to say as a patient. In fact, when I went to the e.r. the doctor told me A "pellet gun" wouldn't fully penetrate a finger and/or impart the amount of damage that I sustained and was I sure it wasn't a firearm. I honestly don't think he believed me when I told him that I had personally killed animals as large as Axis deer with my "pellet guns" and that others had taken elk, buffalo etc.

That is a problem of the narrow specialized sociaty. On one hand it make people very clever in the spheres they are working in, but on the other hand they are so ignorant in the other spheres of life that it influnce their profecianal fields at the end :) We are on the way to that kind of sociaty but still we have a base on the good education we got in schools, which allows us to value the world in complex but not in small fragments :) as I think it is better to see the whole picture even being unable to focus on the small details right now (which you can easily do when you need it) rather then to be very smart in the small area and have no idea how it works in the system together :) 

"Eric.G"

With the best regards

Ed
I want to reiterate that I don't blame the gun or design. The mistake was definitely mine. But I did want to make everyone aware of it as I'd hate to see this happen to anyone else.
I've owned/own about every top tier brand of Airgun made since the late 80's and I consider yours some of the absolute best Ed. I think it's pretty clear to anyone that's been around PCP's for very long that The Matador was instrumental in the recent surge in the popularity of Airgun's and the proliferation of new companies, new designs etc. I have nothing but accolades and respect for you and your company.
Even after this incident, I'm still in love with the Leshiy. I've wanted a compact "backpackable" pcp with the power to take grouse-turkey sized animals for a long time and your design meets that need perfectly.
Thank you for the kind word and so, in this case the name of the topic with name Leshiy is too dramatic and doesn't show you attention to the gun itself :)

Reactions: pndofflesh
Ouch.... speed recovery! A friend of mine did a hole in his feet with AA S400. He said the real pain was aftre the surgery. He's fine now. Hope you'll be fine too very soon. And yes, one should be very careful with compact guns, that is very very true!

And that is also a good (but surely painful) reminder for anyone here, that the muzzle shoud be clear of ANYTHING in front of it except target, at all time during range time (or hunting). That is true for any shooting device - firearm, airgun, crossbow, etc.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Like others have said, thanks for the reminder. I'm very familiar with powder burners but fairly new to air rifles. I have to occasionally remind myself that these things can do significant damage! I try to use the same safety practices as I do with my PBers. I am uneasy trying to dodge the muzzle bore when looking at the FX Wildcat fill gauge at the end of the tube! I was also uneasy in the days (35 years ago) when I shot muzzle loading rifles. Just unnatural putting any part of me in line with the bore.

Ouch!...

However from a detached and scientific view, that is a fantastic example of the effects of a high powered airgun on living tissue including bone... I'm not going to volunteer to be a guinea pig but your sacrafice has lessons to learn and data to process...

That clearly would be remarkably effective on small game... Amazing it can pack so much punch into such a small package.

Fast recovery.